Need board, bindings, boots - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need board, bindings, boots

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere, don't mean to waste your time. I've been searching these boards for the past two hours or so and have learned a lot but still not enough to feel comfortable making a decision on what type of equipment I need. Here's my information.

I'm a little over 6 4, 245 lbs (trying to bulk to 255 eventually and stay) and I'm getting a snowboard, boots, and bindings for an xmas present this year. I went to a local retailer and the guys there seemed really helpful but after reading this stuff it also seems like they may have been good riders, but not very knowledgeable, considering they told me the chin rule on board length (apparently it depends more on weight) and pushed the Burton Custom over everything else (Rome and Neversummer look like awesome brands).

I've been riding for 6 years now, but I only get to go once a year for about a week, hoping to change that once I get out of college and have more control over my own finances. My family always goes to Aspen Colorado so there's a good selection of tough diamonds, well groomed areas, and some decent park and jump attractions. I like going down the diamonds, but I really enjoy tooling down the groomed sections and trying to do jumps/small tricks anywhere I can, in general just feeling like the mountain is my play place. I guess eventually I will be more in the fast=fun mentality and want an alpine board ors omething for the blacks, but for now I feel like a Freestyle board is what I want. As for my ability, I can do boxes, rails pretty consistently, small jumps and some mediums, working on trying to do some 180s this year, get more comfortable riding switch, and possibly get into a small halfpipe. We'll see, hehe.

With that said, I'm looking for the following information.

What is the best board I can buy for my riding style, ability level, and size for around 400-500 dollars?
What boots and bindings should I get to complement the board?
What size do I need? So many of the brands only seem to offer boards up to like 161 or 163 centimeters, judging from the FAQ guide I need between 165-180cm???
I wear size 11, 11 and 1/2 shoes so I guess I need a midwide board?
(P.S. I hate catching edges, when I do that, I really go down hard because of my size, is there a type of board I can look at to help prevent that? think I saw something about beveled edges. I know, I know, it happens, but that doesn't mean I can't try to minimize it).

I realize most of you say that boots are the most important, and bindings as well, even moreso than the board, but I don't see myself upgrading my board in the next few years. This is the one I will use for at least the next four seasons, when I get out of grad school/law school and have extra money to bandy about on shit like this.

Thanks in advance guys. This is a really impressive board.
situpjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2008, 07:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the custom does sound like a decent board for what you want. its imo the general do everything board. so it wouldnt be a bad choice. the rome agent may also be a great board for you. it seems like you want to do a pretty wide range of riding though so it kinda complicates the board buying issue...theres plenty of good boots and bindings. boots you should find out what you like yourself at the store. it sounds like a stiff boot would be what your looking for. as for bindings, you cant go wrong with cartels..
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

bump bump bump
Old 12-01-2008, 05:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not sure how many responses you'll get here. When the season starts up this board gets an influx of new members who all ask the exact same thing. The bottom line is that you have to make the choices. The stuff here is only a guide. There is no magic size that will be perfect for you.

At 250+ you'll want the upper end boards in size if you hit the back country. I'd say 170+ and the more you hit deeper snow, the larger the board. If you hit the park, you'll want to go shorter.

The boots are like tyres on a car. Bad ones will ruin your experience. Boots and bindings both have flex rates as well. Stiffer for mountain and softer for park riding.

If you go with a major brand, you have a good chance of getting something you won't be disappointed with. If you do your research and get something that suits your style you should be ok.

If you only wear 11's you won't need a wide board. 11.5 is on the cusp of probably wanting a midwide. The best way to find out is to rent or demo a board and see if you experience any toe/heel drag. If you don't, you're fine.

You can detune your board if you are catching edges in a park, otherwise you don't need to do it except maybe on the ends.

If you read through all the sticky guides, you'll get a lot more help than by just posting here. The stuff in the sticky's is invaluable.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default ?

Yeah, I realize there are a number of other posts in this section asking for suggestions about buying a board. However, since I read through all the stickies and included the exact information listed in the FAQ, I thought that I might get a response specific to my question. So in this way, my question is not the same as all of the others.

My issue is that there are no boards that I can find that offer 170+ in length. most seem to end at like 162, 164. Do you know any?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

165 would be just fine for you. A little shorter if you stick to the groomed stuff all the time, a little longer if you spend a lot of time in the steep and deep.

Bataleon The Jam Wide or Goliath Wide (both 164, 26 waist). Undisputed (167, 26 waist) if you want something freeride-specific. Bataleon's TBT makes edge catches virtually non-existent (and also helps with powder float).

I'd get The Jam. Setback is 5mm more than the Goliath, but it has an extra set of inserts and is stiffer.
Don't worry about it being too wide; Bataleon wide is not your average wide.

The not-so-good: $530 US retail price :\

GOD IS DONUT

Last edited by legallyillegal; 12-01-2008 at 10:12 PM.
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
curlyside

^^ yes with a Bataleon you will probably never catch an edge. The way you describe, you sound kinda like you want a board that can do it all, which is a bit tricky. The Bataleon Evil Twin may work. It's a true twin (not directional)with no binding set back, which is nice for park and switch riding, and though it's marketed as a freestyle board, i hear it's supposed to handle pretty well in general all over the mountain.

Also you may want to check out Atomic boards. They've got a buncha good ones for good prices. What you are looking for is very similar to what i was looking for in buying my board this year, and I did a bunch of research before buying. Definitely do some research before buying, seriously. Read reviews, go to local board shops and ask questions, etc. I ended up buying an Atomic Alibi 159. Got a great deal on it. Retails for around $500 i think and i got mine brand new (2008 model) on ebay for $200. But it's supposed to be awesome as far as being a do-it-all board. It is available in wide if you want, though i wear a size 11 boot and did not get a wide. I'd try to avoid goin with a wide if you can. Good luck!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Jam, Goliath, and Undisputed are the only Bataleons that come in anything bigger than 162.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
curlyside

gotcha. lol, wasn't aware of that. my bad :S