Another noob question! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
djake

Default Another noob question!

So I'm 5'11", 230lbs, size 11 boots, and under many people's advice, purchased a 163W Sims board. I spoke with another guy, however, at a shop, and he told me that size 11 you don't need a wide board. Does it really make that much of a difference? I just bought the board to see how I liked snowboarding, and am willing to invest more at a later time if it's something I'm more serious about.

I also tried on a pair of Burton Hail boots, and sized up for 11. Then, on the internet, I've found size 11.5 for only $130 shipped. Will it make a big difference do you think? And if so, I'd probably need the wide board right?

Thanks!

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
KeVin

This is my second season riding and one thing i have to tell u is that boots are so important. Info from other riders on this forum try on more than five boots to really find the one is right for u. My mistake last year was rushed into it tryed one boot on felt fine but turned out not so good for my feet. As for a wide board i have size 11 feet as well and my feet and heel hang out about an inch if not a little bit less and there is no toe drag. Back to the boots, spend the money on boots that are the most comfortable. I find it being the most important part. If your feet are not happy you wont be.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djake View Post
So I'm 5'11", 230lbs, size 11 boots, and under many people's advice, purchased a 163W Sims board. I spoke with another guy, however, at a shop, and he told me that size 11 you don't need a wide board. Does it really make that much of a difference? I just bought the board to see how I liked snowboarding, and am willing to invest more at a later time if it's something I'm more serious about.

I also tried on a pair of Burton Hail boots, and sized up for 11. Then, on the internet, I've found size 11.5 for only $130 shipped. Will it make a big difference do you think? And if so, I'd probably need the wide board right?

Thanks!

DJ
With a size 11 it may be harder on a wide board to effectively use your edges, but that can be altered somewhat by stance but you shouldnt have a huge issue. If size 11's fit you well for Burton Hails dont buy 11.5's. Bad fitting boots can ruin your day...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

This is easy. DO NOT upsize your boots. Wear ones that fit snug. Also, with 11's, you don't need a wide board.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Yeah man boots are the most important part of your set up...everything else should be built off of them. If you're in an 11 you could probably downsize to a 10.5 and go with a 25.0 board. A narrower board is what you want and its enough for a lot of people to downsize...but def do not up size your set up.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote