New Board/Binding, HELP ME! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
paedu_ch

Default New Board/Binding, PLEASE HELP ME, it's urgent!

hey

i have to ask the community once more for some advice regarding my new board. SeniorMember legallyillegal
already suggested the Never Summer SL-R 161 to me. i really appreciate but....i don't know....i'm just not getting warm with that one.....

i'm 6'2 and about 195lbs. i've got salomon maori boots size 10.5. i'm just an intermediate rider and looking for one of these allmountain boards, as i'm
mostly riding and playing on the slopes and going into powder from time to time.....i just want to have an easy time
on my board so it should be easy to turn and forgiving.

so these are my favourites:

- Arbor Element 165 (or 161???) + Rome 390
- Rome Flag 163 + Rome 390
- Ride Antic 162W + Ride RX

Which would you prefer and why? I'm completely unsure which would fit best, all of them seem to have some advantage. Or should I really stick
to the sl-r? is that really the only way to go?

thanx guys, appreciate.

Last edited by paedu_ch; 12-02-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
paedu_ch

come on guys, let me have some hints. it's kind of urgent as i want to have my first day out there this season on sunday.....
Old 12-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by paedu_ch View Post
so these are my favourites:

- Arbor Element 165 (or 161???) + Rome 390
- Rome Flag 163 + Rome 390
- Ride Antic 162W + Ride RX
Is there any reason why you are looking at wide boards? At size 10.5 you should be fine on a standard width board like the Rome Anthem rather than the Flag for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paedu_ch View Post
Which would you prefer and why? I'm completely unsure which would fit best, all of them seem to have some advantage. Or should I really stick
to the sl-r? is that really the only way to go?
Personally, I don't think the SL-R is a bad recommendation. It's probably leans a bit more towards the park than the others, but various reviews indicate it does very well as an all-mountain ride and handles the pow well too.

Anyway, all that aside, it comes down to personal preference in the end. If a suggestion doesn't grab you then that's your choice. Nobody's saying you have to get this or that, they are just recommendations. Rome, Ride, Never Summer and Arbor are all quality brands. You could also consider Rome Arsenal bindings (or Targas) based on what you intend to do as I believe they are a bit stiffer than the 390s.
WhistlerBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would still say the SL-R, because of its reverse camber its going to make it tougher to catch edges and let you bomb runs with a shorter board.

Daddiesboardshop.com out here in oregon has a 20% off holiday special for all orders over $199...HOLIDAY2008 is the coupon code..reduces the price to 395 for a SL-R or 400 for a Arbor Element...definately check it out...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
paedu_ch

hey, thanks a lot for your help. i'm just looking for wide boards because my last (burton royale 166) was just wide enough and nothing more. it had 25.8.
now i wasn't happy at all with the royale because it was pretty heavy and not playable at all. that's why i'm kind of panicing about my new board. it just has
to be fine this time. i would really like the arbor element. do you think i should go for the 161 (waist 25.4) or the 165 (25.6)? would that be possible
with my size? do you know if that is pretty stiff?
Old 12-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I think you will be fine with the 25.4 waist. A bit of overhang front and back, say 1/2" is fine (unless you have a hideously long abnormal toe that sticks out of the end of your boot).
Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
paedu_ch

nope, i guess that's not the case.....and 161 should be fine with my weight and my 6'2 as well? is it correct that the 161 will be a bit softer than the 165 in my case? thank you whistler, you're really my hero ;-)
Old 12-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Your weight will be fine with the 161. I can't comment on the stiffness though. Generally you would expect a longer board of the same model to be marginally stiffer, but that may not always be the case and you would need someone with experience with both boards to tell you how they really "feel" anyway. The choice will be yours as to whether you would prefer the longer board or not, but I suspect the difference will be noticeable in comparison to your old board either way. I'd personally lean towards the 161, but that's just me.

Don't be two quick to thank me, I'm no expert. I'm just relaying various bits of information that have been given before on these forums by people with much more experience than me. If I'm wrong on some point I'm hoping someone will speak up.