Gal hates to shop but needs a new board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Gal hates to shop but needs a new board

It's time for a new board: I'm currently riding a Salomon Ivy from 2002. Yes, 2002. I did say that I hate to shop.

Personally, I'd say I have advanced intermediate skills because I have some absolutely fabulous spills. Talk to other folks and they say I'm advanced.

I'm 47. 5'6". 155#. Size 8 shoe.

You'll never find me in the park. I love the trees. I can manage the bumps but I cuss more as the season progresses. The steeps are my nemesis: I commit at least one somersault for every three turns or I pussyfoot my way down. I'm indifferent to groomers 'cause they're really only a way to get from A to B, unless I can dip into the trees along the edge. Did I say I like trees? I live in Colorado, so powder performance is important too.

My biggest wish? Less tumbles on the steeps and better control on my turns. I end up boarding by myself because I hate making my friends (skiers who love the steeps) wait while I brush myself off and get the snow out of my pants. Sometimes they stay for the entertainment value. It would just be nicer to be able to keep up. (Yes, I know that's down to my skills, but I'm thinking new gear could get me out of this rut)

I don't have a quiver of boards. Just one board. Call me monogamous. I'm ok spending up to $600 on a board, because I hate to shop. Of course, I don't have to spend that much money, but I'm not going to look for another board for at least 5 or more years.

I've been looking at a Never Summer Raven, Prior Brandywine, Nidecker Princess, Jones Mothership, High Society Scarlet and a Palmer Liberty.

But I'm wondering if the Nidecker Princess and Jones Mothership are built more for charging and I'll be unhappy in the trees.
I've also heard Palmer has delamination issues.

I'm open to other suggestions and other brands. Most of the brands I've listed seem to be boutique brands, because it's easier to chat with the smaller shops around (Colorado) than grinding through the big sales pitch from the larger retailers. I'm just a bit overwhelmed.

Help?
Thanks
cattywampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It looks like you are on the right track with your research, but the best research is to DEMO if you can! If you are worried that the Mothership may be a bit too stiff/directional for you, take a peek at the Jones Twin Sister. Another company to look into would be Rossignol; the Diva and Frenemy might appeal to you as well.

The NS Raven looks pretty good for your type of riding, but if you haven't ridden a hybrid ROCKER before, it will be a drastic change from what you are used to (maybe in a good way, maybe in a bad way), it all depends what you like! I think if you arent interested in extreme steeps or groomers unless necessary, you could also consider sizing down a touch(not going to ask, but depending on your weight), something btw 150-154 (especially in the trees) would be plenty of snowboard as the hybrid boards offer more float.

Good luck searching!
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

I second banjos advice to demo a hybrid rocker first (many ppl. here love them; I've tried the NS Raptor and Raven, but my conclusion was that they are too different from what I'm used to/like ).

Been in your situation some years ago; the slowest in the pack, the others always waiting for me cos I managed (again) to burry myself in deep pow. Having a good board that fits you can make a difference. Yeayea... rider over gear, I know. That's surely true, but the "right" board can give you a push, lets you gain more confidence in your skills. At least this was/is the case for me. I don't know how the Mothership is, but if it's anything alike the Flagship (which I assume), it's more a piont it down charger, not very lightfooted. However, since I got the Flagship, I don't shy the steeps anymore. It gave me a lot of conidence and the pack complains now that they can't take rests anymore, waiting for me.

It's worth to try several boards and find "your" one. Unluckily, the Ride Farah is discontinued this year (also hybrid camber, but the rocker nose rises not as early as with the jones). That would have been one I'd recommend. It's also pretty stable, fun to ride in uneven terrain.

BTW: Poutanen's gf has a Brandywine, hope he or she will chime in.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale

Last edited by neni; 09-29-2013 at 05:42 PM.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Where in CO do you ride?

Most, not all, people really enjoy the playfulness of hybrid boards when coming from camber. They are easier to maneuver and float better in pow with shorter lengths. My wife has a smokin snowboards vixen and a PYT. Vixen is rocker mid camber tips. PYT is flat mid camber tips. She loves them both but can go faster on the vixen.... Stiffer board. The PYT is slightly more playful.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Banjo, you're right, I do want to narrow it down to a couple of boards to demo. That being said, I've been on the same board for 10 years so anything is going to feel very strange.

My Ivy is a 151, because I didn't weigh 155# when I got her 10 years ago. A dude tried to convince me that I should drop to a 148 on stiffer board, but that seems a bit short. I was thinking to stick to a 151 or jump up a notch.

I'll look at the Twin Sister and keep the Raven on my list.

Neni, you're an inspiration. Just the idea that I'd be the one hollering "hurry up"...love it. Don't ever expect it to happen but I still love the idea. It does sound like the Flagship/Mothership, while making me a badass on the steeps would be tough in the trees. And I'm looking for that balance.

I saw a Ride Farah at one of the sales so I'm thinking I'll see if it's still around. Should have posted earlier, shouldn't I? I'd love to hear from your friend's gf with the Brandywine.

Argo, I've got the epic pass and we'll probably do the Aspen 4pack this year because we're going to have a great season, right? I'll check out the Vixen--I've never heard of Smokin snowboards so thanks for pointing me in that direction.

If you think of anything else, I'd love to hear it...
Many thanks

Last edited by cattywampus; 09-30-2013 at 01:51 AM.
cattywampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
BTW: Poutanen's gf has a Brandywine, hope he or she will chime in.
Finally brow-beat her into posting!

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/wom...ine-153-a.html
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Question

Wow, pretty much the same stats!!! Except in addition to trees, pow and steeps I do like hitting the park for jumps every now and then. Dampening is important but still would like some pop...still trying to figure out between Jones Twin Sister, Mothership, Prior Brandywine and GNU's Ladies Choice...
bluebird08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ladies, new board, steeps, trees