New at buying snowboards - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Sisonpyh

Default New at buying snowboards

I am pretty new to snowboarding, been riding on and off for around 6 years but didnt really go consistently until last year. I can carve blues and a couple blacks. I am looking to buy a board now as I want to get into it. I was renting until last year until I used my friends Forum Recon during the season.

Weight: 155
Boot size: 10.5
Riding style: Mainly mountain but I know I will start doing park eventually.
budget: 300$ (or less)
Your location of riding: Tahoe area, but my friend and I are going to Colorado and are going to ride at Breckenridge and keystone for a week.

I have been researching for the last week about boards, checking different websites and reviews on this forum. I am having trouble deciding on:

Rome: Solution or Crail
Atomic: Alibi or Cold Smoke (Mainly snowolf raving about them lol)
Forum: Recon
Never Summer: System
Ride: Society

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: Added Society

Last edited by Sisonpyh; 12-03-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

have you looked into the rome artifact?
RidePowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sisonpyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidePowder View Post
have you looked into the rome artifact?
Yeah I looked at it, to me it seems more of a jib/park board that would be to soft for mountain, please correct me if I am wrong though? I still mainly want to do mountain at this time and work up to the park. I will definitely be doing park though.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
kyouness

capita stairmaster or atomic hatchet. both great boards that can take you all over the mountain since they're not noodles but have enough flex for the park. the rome artifact would be way too soft but you could try looking for last year's agent. good luck with that though.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

to hijack: which of those boards would be best for a noob like me? :P
snowjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sisonpyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouness View Post
capita stairmaster or atomic hatchet. both great boards that can take you all over the mountain since they're not noodles but have enough flex for the park. the rome artifact would be way too soft but you could try looking for last year's agent. good luck with that though.

Thank you kyouness for the reply . I will look into the stairmaster. I think I read somewhere that the hatchet got soft pretty fast when I was looking at it, plenty of people had good experiences with it though. Anyone have any experience with this? I looked for the older Agent and found it for $380 which is a little out of my price range.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
curlyside

imo, definitely take a look at the Atomic Alibi! Sidecut is not directional and it's a true twin, making it very nice for switch riding. Good for park as well as anything else on the mountain! It's a little bit stiffer than the Atomic Hatchet (which btw is also a great board for awesome price!) and has a 1 bevel as opposed to the Hatchet's 2.5 bevel. So Alibi will have better edge hold, while Hatchet won't have as good of edge hold, but will be a little more forgiving as far as not catching an edge, like on a sketchy landing for a spin. But Alibi pretty much perfectly fits the description for a true do-it-all board. I ordered one for myself last week. Got a 2008 model brand new for $200 on ebay but yeah, definitely check it out

Last edited by curlyside; 12-03-2008 at 06:18 PM. Reason: additional info added
Old 12-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisonpyh View Post
Yeah I looked at it, to me it seems more of a jib/park board that would be to soft for mountain, please correct me if I am wrong though? I still mainly want to do mountain at this time and work up to the park. I will definitely be doing park though.
You are misguided in my opinion. I have been riding my artifact for about a month now (15 days or so give or take) in a lot of different conditions. I always read reviews on this forum and elsewhere that made the artifact sound like it would just be horrible for anything but jibbing etc. but I disagree. First off at the beginning season on man made snow it performed pretty well. I like to ride pretty fast and its been up to the task for sure. The soft edges do have a tendency to kind of burr up if you are scraping across a lot of ice but not too much worse than any of my boards with steel edges. It has pretty damn good pop and I can manual like there is no tomorrow which I've never been able to do on an all mountain board. Switch has been real nice on it because I don't feel so awkward with a centered stance (Im not too good at switch or freestyle in general). When going really fast over bumpy packed powder it can get a little hectic but if you know how to ride a board I don't think it will be a problem. The true test came last week when Loveland saw 61" in 3 days (heaven!). I weigh about 180 and my artifact is a 153. It did just fine through 1', then 2' but once the snow was about 4' deep thats when I ran into a problem which I believe purely to be board size, not because I am on a really soft board. On Monday they opened a new trail that was fairly steep and had a good 3'-4' of fresh on it and I did not get stuck once, in fact I was ripping up people on bigger boards than I was on. I know that if I was on a stiffer board the choppy stuff and the pow would be a little easier but really, this board is not the impossible to ride beast that people make it out to be. It is not too soft for the mountain if you ask me. Keep in mind that I bought this board (last years artifact) because it was $200 brand new and I couldn't find a Graft or a Jibpan (which I had my heart set on) for even close to the same price. I was worried that it would be too soft after I bought it but it has been just fine. I suck at rails so I can't really comment there but that's what the board is made for so you do the math. I also have a 4 all mountain boards, a 153, 158, 161.5, and a 164. The artifact will be my main ride unless we see more than 3' of pow in which case I will probably be on my 158 unless it actually gets deep enough to justify riding my big big boards.

Last edited by Mr. Right; 12-03-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
KC KONG

theres no problem with riding a artifact and not doing much park but the artifact is about $400. I would stick with the Forum Recon.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
thomas.s.miller

Look into the salomon drift.awesome board for what your lookin for.im 5'11" and bout 170 and ride a 156.mostly mountain but i play in the park.great edge hold and not too much for rails and boxs.