Magna Traction - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

MTX is a personal preference. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of it. Then again, I don't encounter a great deal of icy conditions. If I did maybe my opinion would differ.

Demo it first for sure.
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I ride mT and have totally lost my shit on ice at full throttle. It's brutal when your confident in something cause you lose touch with reality. Reality is ice can fuck you up at any given time.

I do like the extra hold of MT and also have no issues with in in chest deep pow.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardjunkey97 View Post
What conditions doesnt it do well in? Heavy pow?
The deeper MTX profiles add to dragging potential in warm snow. I like the shallower cut in some of the pro labeled Lib-Tech/Gnu and the Jones line.
eelpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #24 (permalink)

When considering MT, the first question you need to ask yourself is "What kind of conditions do you ride in the majority of the time?"

I am an Ice Coast rider. I have been riding a Rossi OneMT for three years now and love it. For the majority of my riding, which is on hard pack groomers, it is my go to board. It is the best board I own for those conditions.

I also own a Lib Tech Lando which I also love, for different conditions. The MT on it is more subtle, so when the snow warms up, it becomes the board of choice as it does not "bite" as much as the Rossi. ( completely different profile I know; we are discussing MT here )

MT, like camber vs rocker, is a personal choice. You need to demo an MT board, in the conditions that it is best for and decide for your self.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #25 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
I ride mT and have totally lost my shit on ice at full throttle. It's brutal when your confident in something cause you lose touch with reality. Reality is ice can fuck you up at any given time.
lol +1 did the same going toe side full throttle and ended up french kissing the icey ass hill
SnowOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowOwl View Post
lol +1 did the same going toe side full throttle and ended up french kissing the icey ass hill
That was my first full on tomahawk on solid ice. Not fun at all. I was hurt enough to take a couple days off the mtn.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argo View Post
That was my first full on tomahawk on solid ice. Not fun at all. I was hurt enough to take a couple days off the mtn.
First run of the day for me. I got a nice shiner but I roughed it out ha
SnowOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I hate to hate. But the only time mtx was useful for me was when I was on a steep ice patch that the wind blew all the fluff off or was shred off my the edging folks.

But vario works much better on all other ice situations in my opinion. Because it's more consistent.
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery2many View Post
I hate to hate. But the only time mtx was useful for me was when I was on a steep ice patch that the wind blew all the fluff off or was shred off my the edging folks.

But vario works much better on all other ice situations in my opinion. Because it's more consistent.
How many Mervin boards have you ridden and in what conditions? Not knocking your opinion, but a genuine question.
I know that you like your Never Summers and they are good boards (heck, I have a couple in my quiver), but after riding both various Lib/GNU and NS decks all over the world and in a variety of conditions, IMO Magnetraction is far superior to Variogrip in almost all respects.

Nothing turns ice to powder (despite what the Magnetraction marketing blurb says), but edge technology can benefit riders and to me Magnetraction in its various forms is still the best one out there.
Really the only downside of it is that it makes edge maintenance a bit more cumbersome.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #30 (permalink)

I had a GNU Park Pickle I used for a few weeks. I hated the MagneTraction on it. I felt that it bit too hard on moguls and in glades. Idk mebbe the problem was the edge was too sharp or something. I just know that I hated how much I seemed to catch an edge on the side of a mogul. I'm hoping the problem will be solved with the lighter version that the Smokin Superpark has.
miplatt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gnu, lib tech, magna traction, skate banana