Magna Traction - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 02:51 AM   #31 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Lib tech Travis Rice Pro. Gnu riders choice. And I own the skate banana. Keep in mind that if you are a hard edger and rather then maintaining your edge till you pass the ice , you get nervous and edge hard well a fork type edge hold is what you need. If you can hold strong till you find some soft grip then a straight edge is more enjoyable. But that's just me

Edit: and I don't see how mtx is relevant on any other condition other than ice. Groomer? No. powder? No. Chop? No. so what then? Ice... Ice coast bro

Last edited by Mystery2many; 10-05-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miplatt88 View Post
I had a GNU Park Pickle I used for a few weeks. I hated the MagneTraction on it. I felt that it bit too hard on moguls and in glades. Idk mebbe the problem was the edge was too sharp or something. I just know that I hated how much I seemed to catch an edge on the side of a mogul. I'm hoping the problem will be solved with the lighter version that the Smokin Superpark has.
I seriously doubt that that had anything to do with Magnetraction.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #33 (permalink)

If you are a rider who has experienced true camber, enjoy the carve that it provides, then you know that MT can provide you with a very similar experience without the "Hook" that comes with camber. Hard pack groomers can be carved very well with MT on a board with a near flat profile and raised tips. You get to enjoy a pencil thin carve and not fear the dreaded slam mostly feared at slower speeds when you get lazy with your riding technique on camber

If a big easy, loose, surfy style of ride is your cup o tea, then MT is of no interest to you.

Ice is Ice is Ice. Even with MT, rider beware.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #34 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi,

All Gnu, Lib and most Roxy boards have Magne-traction. Magne-traction, however, should not be considered as the same on all boards. The shape, size and placement of the mangne-bumps vary greatly. Some are almost undetectable while others are pretty extreme. Arbor's Grip Tech is much more uniform is size and placement.

STOKED!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #35 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Let me try to explain this point of view that I've had for some time. Not sure if I can explain via text correctly.

Let's take a cube of ice, a straight edge knife and lightly serrated knife (like a bread knife I guess). Now pull the straight edge knife across the ice as if you were trying to cut it with bit of weight pushing down (to symbolize body weight). Now do the same with serrated knife. Question: which knife slides across the ice smoother and which has friction.
Ok. Now drag the straight edge knife down the ice to symbolize edging on a board. Now do it with the serrated knife. Question: which felt like it had a better grip.

In physics friction slows things down. That's how I feel about mtx. If you are edging hard across ice then maybe it has better grip, I'm not sure. But when carving at speed I just feel that it's unnecessary and adds friction. I've literally felt it slow me down compared to a straight edge board. These are just my opinions and to each his own. But it just seems pointless to me.
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gnu, lib tech, magna traction, skate banana