Setting up Rome Targas - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
laszlost

Default Setting up Rome Targas

I was finally able to track down some lightly used Rome Targa bindings and am now trying to get my head around an initial setup. I already know my stance, so I would like some basics on the highback rotation, ankle and toe strap position, toe ramp, forward lean, and any other adjustments that I have missed. I have setup the initial frame size to the correct range for my 9.5 boot but other than that I am at square one. As far as adjustability these bindings are out of this world and I have a feeling they will require some ongoing tweeking throughout the first few days of riding but I am just looking for a solid base to start from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

I only have 2 days on these bindings at keystone on a NS SL-R..... my personal opinion.

highback rotation, rotate them so they are parallel to your heel edge.

ankle strap stiffness and mounting location. dictated by your riding style. I am 60\40 mountain\park. I am from FL and wakeboard a lot. I like a loose setup. I chose the middle mounting position with the soft insert. worked well with my style of riding. the stiffer insert would make your toeside moves more responsive.

toe strap..... I used it as a cap strap over the toe. only advice here is to adjust so you ensure it is centered on you boots..

forward lean.... again a preference thing
. I used a moderate forward lean for mountain riding, slightly less aggressive in the park.

toe adjustment.... make sure your boot is ceneterd on the board. this is achieved via the heel and toe adjustment.

final thoughts. this isn't an all out park binding. it can be made stiff enough for a mountain binding. the adjustments are largely personal preference. get some ride time and done be afraid to adjust. I really love these bindings on my SL-R.... but I am a redneck from Florida who boards on business trips about 25 days a year. I am an intermediate\advanced rider.

I am sure more serious riders will offer their opinion.

this was sent from my phone while sitting in an airport, hopefully it works.
FLBOARD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just got some Targas, but I don't get to use them till xmas. Anyway, since I haven't really played with them, I was wondering how the AutoStrap thing holds up. The ones in the shops were really stretched out, but I'm not sure if people just played with them too much. Anyway, my plan is to only have it connected when I'm on the slopes, and disconnect it every other time. Anybody have any comments on these things?
sdeyerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

i dont even use the auto strap... when i go on the lift i drop down my highbacks so it doesnt catch on the lift ( i heard stories about this happening) and i just dont like my stuff flopping around so i dont even use it..

imo its a cool idea but its really not hard to pull back the strap and put ur boot in

Highback roation thing i never attempted to try on my targas i ride 15 -15 and im fine maybe one day ill play with it see how it works

FLBOARD You said "toe adjustment.... make sure your boot is ceneterd on the board. this is achieved via the heel and toe adjustment."

the toe adjustment is the sliding board under your toes? and whats the heel adjustment i have not noticed it yet

Last edited by NYCboarder; 12-05-2008 at 05:53 AM.
NYCboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yea pretty much just make it hug your boot evenly all over
snoeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCboarder View Post
..and whats the heel adjustment i have not noticed it yet
I think the heel adjustment FLBoard13 is talking about is the adjustment to the heel cup. Essentially, you can pull the heel cup back, similar to extending the toe ramp.

On another note, NYCboarder, how did you disable the auto strap? I can't get the rubber piece out of my Targas short of cutting them out.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5R View Post
I think the heel adjustment FLBoard13 is talking about is the adjustment to the heel cup. Essentially, you can pull the heel cup back, similar to extending the toe ramp.

On another note, NYCboarder, how did you disable the auto strap? I can't get the rubber piece out of my Targas short of cutting them out.
Yes, I was referring to the heel cup and how it can be pulled back if needed. Sorry, that post was sent from my phone and it took forever, just didnt got into the heel cup adjustment. I didnt have to mess with mine with my size 10.5 boots. I don't use the auto strap either. I may try using it one of these days.
FLBOARD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
andrew_schenk

for the auto strap you just flip up the lever and slide the strap to its farthest notch then lock the lever , this will/should essentially disable it.

Last edited by andrew_schenk; 12-05-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
GhostRiderx

The instructions said to rotate the highbacks so that it is parallel to the heel edge, but my boots are only touching one side of the highbacks. Shouldn't the calfs be centered with the highbacks to distribute the load evenly? It seems pretty logical, right? Or else it wouldn't be effective.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
h2o119906

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlost View Post
I was finally able to track down some lightly used Rome Targa bindings and am now trying to get my head around an initial setup. I already know my stance, so I would like some basics on the highback rotation, ankle and toe strap position, toe ramp, forward lean, and any other adjustments that I have missed. I have setup the initial frame size to the correct range for my 9.5 boot but other than that I am at square one. As far as adjustability these bindings are out of this world and I have a feeling they will require some ongoing tweeking throughout the first few days of riding but I am just looking for a solid base to start from.
I've been on mine for about a week and I'm still adjusting the damn things. I'm curious to see how the toe strap foam holds up. It has already torn off a little bit from when I washed out on some ice on my toe edge. I ride the stiff insert, because I am obesesed with tightness.

One thing worth noting is that I recently set them up one screw hole towards the heelside edge. Normally, I rode my old bindings centered in the third of the 5 holes, but it seems like the targas needed to be moved over a little more to the heel.

I feel like they loosen a little while riding sometimes.

And the quickness with which they release, by simply touching the nob on the buckle, kind of worries me on the chairlift.