Help choosing a board. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help choosing a board.

Ok I need help choosing a complete board so boots, board, and those boot holders everything for $200 or under. And I want a good board, maybe both freestyle and free ride. I am about 156 - 159 cm to my chin and weigh 175 pounds. Thanks. Peace.
gera229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Chin height doesn't matter. How tall are you?

Also, you won't find any board/boot/binding setup for under $200. I'm not even sure the cheapest set you can find would be that cheap. Unless something is wrong with it. If your budget can't go higher, you might want to stick with just renting.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not going to rent because renting like 10 times is worth a complete board. I am 5 10.5 tall . Chin to nose I guess it matters.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
alasdairm

again, chin height does not matter. the fact that it is often a guide is simply down to standard distribution.

you might get a board, boots and bindings ('those boot holders') second hand for $200 but you're not going to be able to find a reputable new setup for that price.

at your weight, you could ride anything between a 155 and a 165 depending on how you ride and what you plan to do with it. if you're an 'average' rider (if there is such a thing) and you want an all mountain board, you're looking at around a 159.

if $200 is your total budget, i'd suggest starting with used gear on craigslist.com.

alasdair
Old 12-05-2008, 01:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Umm idk maybe i'll get my budget up, or I can wait till chirstmas or something cuz there might be discounts and sales. I hope 200 will be good for a setup. But I will need some help though.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

200 will get you a used setup. Possibly a slightly damaged setup. The real problem is that you probably don't want to buy used boots. That means paying more. You CAN buy used boots, but they probably won't fit well and may cause pain or discomfort and certainly some control issues on the hill.

Again, it all depends on what you mean by good. Some people just want something other than Lamar, others will take a sporting good store setup if it is new. Some people want that new 09 Awesome Awesomeness board for $650.

Also, the chin to nose height is just a generalization that board rental shops use to get boards out quickly. It's easier than asking them what's your weight, height and riding style. Since a lot of renters don't really know.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
falconis

first some explanation = weight counts in your board lenghte.
unless you want to freeride in fresh pow than you'll need a longer board
and if you want to go to the park you will need a shorter one.
200 is not enough , you must buy new boots = if you wear a boot it
molds to your foot , so used boots don't fit well.
new boots = 120+
and i don't think you can buy a board and bindings for 80
unless it is made from paper
Old 12-05-2008, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You might consider going to a local snow sport expo if you have one nearby. The one in Portland was selling setups for $250 including boots and everything was brand new. It was stuff they had a lot of I think and couldn't sell, but it is still new gear and might serve you well if it fits your style.

Rule #1 of snowboard buying in my opinion: NEVER let anyone sell you anything. Go there and tell them what it is you want and see what they have that will fit those needs. If you don't know what you need, do more research before you buy. There are always salesmen who just want you to buy something, regardless of how it works for you.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
falconis

make your homework , becaus if they see you are blwon away,
than they can sell you everything, ask questions here and be dominant the shop
Old 12-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes I know that, my bro is a snowboarder but im just like a beginner and I want a freestyle and freeride board. I won't let them sell it to me just like that. Well but what is Lamar? Are they the worst?