Need advice on board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 06:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
junkie28

Default Need advice on board

Hi all. I sort of jumped the gun with getting a season pass to a ski resort 2 hours away in California. Some of my buddies got season passes and whole bunch of gear last year and are planning on going snowboarding frequently for this season. Somehow I got caught up and joined the bunch. So far, I've got a pair of boots, Rome Targa Bindings; both last years models for cheap.

So, now it just comes down to what should I do about the board? I have went snowboarding a few times last season, and once this season, and then once like a couple years back. I am 20, 5'4", and 115 lb. Should I keep renting boards for now, demo-ing, or buy a board? I am looking to invest in this sport, instead of spending money on rentals, I feel that money going towards rentals could be valuable money towards a board. I am looking to get a good quality all-mountain board. I like free-riding, but I want the flexibility to go free-style as well, quite a few people I know jumped the Rome band-wagon and have gotten Rome Agents for more free-style riding.

Some of the boards I had been looking into are Rome Anthem, K2 Darkstar; and I think I'm gonna try some Rockers once I get my curving down, some WWW-R, not sure if I can get my hands on the Neversummer SL-R, Burton Hero also sounds like a good one, Skate Banana... I've been browsing through these forums once in a while for the past 2 months or so.

So, what do you guys think I should do? or which board would you guys recommend? I've had diff ppl recommend diff size boards, from a rental 145 to 148 to 152; 148 reaches my chin with boots on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

People jump on the Agent wagon for a reason.
Smallest is 146.

At your size you could be anywhere from 140-145.

09 Capita Stairmaster 144 is only $320, although that's probably not exactly what you're looking for.

GOD IS DONUT

Last edited by legallyillegal; 12-06-2008 at 08:05 AM.
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
junkie28

What happens, or why might it be bad if i hop on a 148-152? from a beginners stand point to someone more pro.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
kyouness

because at your weight, your board will end up throwing you around instead of you controlling it. weight controls the board, not height.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
junkie28

so at 115 lbs, I am only recommended up to a 145 board? What should be my range for free-style, all-mountain, and free-ride?
Old 12-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Freestyle: 140 or less
All-Mountain: 143
Freeride: 145+

GOD IS DONUT
Old 12-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
junkie28

So, I am 20 right now, and still growing; may grow into 120lbs? What are some all-mountain board recommendations for this weight 115-120. So the Capita Stair/scaremaster is one? I know many boards from well in the 150cm-160cm range.

However, a lot of free-style boards go into the 140s; I'm wondering what if i got a free-style board and ride it as free-ride at my weight class. Would it still be flexy and soft for free-riding?
Old 12-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You'd probably need to put on a good 20-30lbs to get into the Capita Horrorscope 148.

GOD IS DONUT
Old 12-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well, you don't want a park board for mountain riding just because of size. They are built for different things. A park board at high speed is not a fun feeling. It's sort of like running on ice, you just know you're going to wipe out, but you don't know when.

I'd rather go a little bigger than buy a board for something it isn't intended to do. Maybe you should start eating lots of cheeseburgers, hehe.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
junkie28

Can I end up using a 151cm board for all-mountain? free-style + freeride.