Advice for new gear? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice for new gear?

I'm so stoked for the snow to start falling and I've been looking everywhere for a new board to upgrade to this season. I've pored through countless forums and watched a gazillion reviews - believe me - but still want a few more opinions before I spend my hard-earned cash! Apologies if this kind of question shows up in the forums too much but I just really want to hear some personalized advice, there's just so many boards out there to pick from.

Here we go - I'm about 5'3, 110 lbs female. I currently ride a 145cm but feel like it's too long for me. My level is beginner-intermediate I would say... I'm super comfortable on blue runs and can land a jump. This year my goal is to learn tricks in the park and up my freestyle ability... That being said, I still love a good run down the mountain especially on powder days.

So I guess what I'm looking for is something that has a softer flex so I can have a good time in the park, but not too soft so I'm not rocketing out of control down the slopes. My current board is definitely too stiff - I enjoy the stability but I can't even lift one end up no matter how hard I try. I'd like to be able to float in pow, be stable while carving, etc, but I MAY be ready to give up just a little bit of that in favour of a softer flex for park use.

Ideally I'd like to have a load of pop in there, but I've also been reading up on rocker technology and am wondering if that's something I would like, given that I'll be learning in the park a lot this season. I'm primarily interested in something like hybrid rocker (but all the companies call it something different so it's confusing, sigh).

A women-specific board would also be nice as I do have smaller feet (size 6.5). I'm not sure what length I should go for. Price range is preferably under $300.

Thanks in advance! Oh, and I'm new to the forum. Hi!
procrystalation is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet

idk maybe something like a salomon gypsy in a 143....daughter demo'd one a few years ago and loved it.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^that, Flow Jewel, K2 Limelite, or an Arbor Cadence. Look for last years and 143ish.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you! The Salomon Gypsy especially is super tempting... it's on the higher end of my budget though, even if I get last year's model. Would there be anything ranging more on the cheaper end?
procrystalation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Check ebay for a flow jewel. I have seen them super cheap on there however i don't remember the sizes.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote