Tips on equiptment pls help a noob! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tips on equiptment pls help a noob!

Hello fellow snowboarders!

I will start off with talking alittle about myself. I live in Sweden and have been snowboarding for a few season (converted from skies) and have come to the point where I simply feel like I need my own equiptment.

My stats are:

6 ft
185 pound
shoe size 11.5

So I guess I need a wide board who is medium stiff?

But the board/binding/shoe market is a jungle and I don't know what I should be looking for!

I want board/boots/bindings that will allow me to ride in the park but I still want to be able to do some fairly big jumps and ride outside the park also.

Don't know what more to say, I'm open to everything!

I'm sorry if my english is not 100% correct since I live in Sweden (eu)

Thanks!

Edit: Been looking on the following snowboards, any thoughts?

Ride Machete
Nitro T1
K2 Parkstar
K2 Happy Hour
K2 Slayblade
K2 Fastplant

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Brandel; 10-08-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Brandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandel View Post

I will start off with talking alittle about myself. I live in Sweden and have been snowboarding for a few season (converted from skies) and have come to the point where I simply feel like I need my own equiptment.

My stats are:

6 ft
185 pound
shoe size 11.5

But the board/binding/shoe market is a jungle and I don't know what I should be looking for!

I want board/boots/bindings that will allow me to ride in the park but I still want to be able to do some fairly big jumps and ride outside the park also.

Thanks!
Looks like you are looking for an allmountain-freestyle deck. Watch out for Salomon Villain, Capita DOA or a Bataleon Evil Twin/Lobster Park Baord. But I'd recommend to demo Bataleon/Lobster before you buy it cause TBT is not everybody's taste. It shouldn't be hard to find them on a demo day especially in Sweden.

As for boots: Whatever Boot fits you best. I think you don't necessarily need a wide board, if you get boots with some kind of reduced footprint technology, such as Burton boots or Salomon F-Series.

Bindings: They should fit your boots. Think about if you want a fast entry system or usual straps. Everybody has his favorites. For fast entry check out Flows, for traditional Burton Cartels/Malavitas, K2 IPO, Nitro Phantom, Rome 390 (Boss).
Seriously there are loads of options.
Nivek will probably give you some better insight.
firlefranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:

My stats are:

6 ft
185 pound
shoe size 11.5

Thanks!

STOKED that you are loving riding! 11.5 is on the cusp of requiring a "wide" board in some models and sizes. Would you mind taking a quick measurement? Also, please let us know what stance width and angles you ride.

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firlefranz View Post
Looks like you are looking for an allmountain-freestyle deck. Watch out for Salomon Villain, Capita DOA or a Bataleon Evil Twin/Lobster Park Baord. But I'd recommend to demo Bataleon/Lobster before you buy it cause TBT is not everybody's taste. It shouldn't be hard to find them on a demo day especially in Sweden.

As for boots: Whatever Boot fits you best. I think you don't necessarily need a wide board, if you get boots with some kind of reduced footprint technology, such as Burton boots or Salomon F-Series.

Bindings: They should fit your boots. Think about if you want a fast entry system or usual straps. Everybody has his favorites. For fast entry check out Flows, for traditional Burton Cartels/Malavitas, K2 IPO, Nitro Phantom, Rome 390 (Boss).
Seriously there are loads of options.
Nivek will probably give you some better insight.
Thank you for the replay! Yeah I also think that a allmountain freestyle would be the best choice for me. Unfortunately I live in the southern parts of Sweden and thus we don't have any slopes meaning no demo

Awesome tips for boots/bindings. I know there is alot of options, that's the big problem Sure is gonna look up the stuff you mentioned!

Edited first post with some boards I've been looking at, would be nice if the board can be bought at http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/ since you get 10% discount buying full equiptment and also free shipping

P.S

Last edited by Brandel; 10-08-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
STOKED that you are loving riding! 11.5 is on the cusp of requiring a "wide" board in some models and sizes. Would you mind taking a quick measurement? Also, please let us know what stance width and angles you ride.

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
I am really f*cking stoked to, can't wait for the winter to arrive Been walking around in my gear inside several times already

Measured my foot the way you said and the longest one is around 11.4 cm!

Last edited by Brandel; 10-08-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
I am really f*cking stoked to, can't wait for the winter to arrive Been walking around in my gear inside several times already

Measured my foot the way you said and the longest one is around 11.4 cm!
Hi,

11.4 cm would be a very small foot Did you mean 11.4 inches?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi,

11.4 cm would be a very small foot Did you mean 11.4 inches?
Oh you are right, silly me was looking at the wrong number! It should be 28.5 cm!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Oh you are right, silly me was looking at the wrong number! It should be 28.5 cm!
No worries at all. 28.5 is technically a US 10.5. This (along with stance angle and width) is the important measurement in terms of choosing a board width. In short, 28.5 does not require a "wide" board. You will notice a lot more performance by sticking to "normal" width boards. They will transition more easily form edge to edge and will allow you a full range of stance angles while still being able to maintain the correct amount of overhang for leverage.

STOKED!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
No worries at all. 28.5 is technically a US 10.5. This (along with stance angle and width) is the important measurement in terms of choosing a board width. In short, 28.5 does not require a "wide" board. You will notice a lot more performance by sticking to "normal" width boards. They will transition more easily form edge to edge and will allow you a full range of stance angles while still being able to maintain the correct amount of overhang for leverage.

STOKED!
Oh I thought it was UK 10.5 and US 11.5 (using 45's EU)

But awesome that I don't need a wide board, that will really make choosing a board alot easier! Thank you so much.

Also I've been looking at the ROME 390 Boss and they look really sweet! Anyone know if ROME Folsom/Libertine is a good boot?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Oh I thought it was UK 10.5 and US 11.5 (using 45's EU)

But awesome that I don't need a wide board, that will really make choosing a board alot easier! Thank you so much.

Also I've been looking at the ROME 390 Boss and they look really sweet! Anyone know if ROME Folsom/Libertine is a good boot?
I am very biased because we bought up all of the remaining inventory of both of those boot models last year (Libertine and Folsom). I have been riding a pair of the Folsom's and they are a great boot (silly good at the current pricing). You can read a lot about the 390 Boss's here on the forum. They are right in there with the great bindings that are available today (some would argue they are it).

I will be happy to help you choose a size if you know the board model that interests you.