Returning rider and trying to pick a board, help? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Returning rider and trying to pick a board, help?

I'm deciding between a GNU Carbon Credit and Lib Tech La Nina and have a couple questions.

It's been about 13 years since I've been on a mountain. Prior to that I lived and breathed snowboarding, 100+ day seasons for a few years, worked on the mountain, etc. I really enjoyed powder, going fast and cruising groomers but wasn't much of a jumper/jibber. I'm getting back into the sport because I think it'll be good exercise and a nice break from work/life and expect to get in between 30 - 50 days.

So, how easy it to get back into riding after taking a break?

Second, should I buy a beginners board (Gnu CC) assuming I'm starting from scratch, or just go for the board I use to ride back in the day? I rode pretty much the Lib Tech MC series?

Thanks and sorry to be that guy...should I get this, or should I get that
djadonis206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The CC is an entry level do anything board and the La Nina is primarily marketed as a pow board that rides all mt. I 'don't think either is a particularly good starting board for you. How much do you weigh and what's you foot size. Where do you see yourself primarily riding and what type of riding do you want to do now?
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm 5'11, 185 but pretty athletic and wear size 10.5 boots.

I'll mostly be freeriding and getting in powder days where I can. Since I live in Seattle I'll be up at Alpental most days but plan to travel to Baker, maybe a couple days at Crystal or Stevens.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Resident poet

It will be like riding a bike...u know how...just haven't done in a while...u will blow off the dust pretty fast...get at least an advanced/expert. billy goat, lando, rider's choice

welcome back....start working out
Old 10-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
It will be like riding a bike...u know how...just haven't done in a while...u will blow off the dust pretty fast...get at least an advanced/expert. billy goat, lando, rider's choice

welcome back....start working out
Thanks! The Rider's Choice looks the business, but curious on size 157.5 or 161? I use to ride a 156 and 159 but I was about 20-30 punds lighter.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

+1 rider's choice
jml22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by djadonis206 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm 5'11, 185 but pretty athletic and wear size 10.5 boots.

I'll mostly be freeriding and getting in powder days where I can. Since I live in Seattle I'll be up at Alpental most days but plan to travel to Baker, maybe a couple days at Crystal or Stevens.
I'm short, fat, small feet and old...5'6", 180# and size 7...thus narrower boards like the Goat for me. So as you know it also depends on conditions and depth of poo. So my quiver has 155 camber for groomed ice, 158 cambered fr stiffy, 159 c2btx Goat split, an old 162 cambered shovel nose pintail, and a 164 Charlie Slasher for the deep fluff. Thus I'd think a 159 rider's choice would be good...a stiffer c2btx will ride/feel a bit longer but turn quicker than an older cambered board of the same size...so a 159 c2btx will feel like a 162 cambered board but have a bit more agility and slightly less stability when blasting groomers...but you will quickly adjust your skill to trump any cons...imo. When you come up to Baker, just do a performance rental at White Salmon and demo/switch out abunch of boards you want to try.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

With the Rider's Choice it's either the 157.5 or the 161.5. Sounds like the 161.5 might be the ticket. 157.5 just feels/seems too small
Old 10-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by djadonis206 View Post
With the Rider's Choice it's either the 157.5 or the 161.5. Sounds like the 161.5 might be the ticket. 157.5 just feels/seems too small
My inbounds and groomed preference is a 155-6, last year my go to board was the 159 goat split...rode that a lot inbounds which was fine, but just a tad long...not trying to dissuade you...and i'd imagine doing alpental and younger go longer. Have fun!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I was out for 3 years and it only took a few trips to the mountain for get my legs back under me. You will be back kicking i no time only you wont have the endurance you used to and will wake up the next day feeling really old.

The newer boards ride longer than they are.

I'm similar size to you (175, 5'10" 9.8 boot) my 157 banana magic feels plenty long, good float and egde hold. i ride it all over the place though trees/chutes/park/pipe but i have a cheaper pow board for deep days.

I don't agree with others here about the La Nina it; is a fun board especially in NW poo, and not bad at all on regular groomers. I tried a bunch of the Lib boards out at baker the year before last before i bought my magic. the dark series and the la nina were my two favorites, but i wanted a twin.