Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Help on Full 2014 new set up! (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/96009-help-full-2014-new-set-up.html)

icemonkey 10-09-2013 12:02 AM

Help on Full 2014 new set up!

i will keep things simple, my friend works at sport check and is giving me discount. Correct me if i am wrong but it herd that's the best deal out there for gear (getting it at cost!).

I been boarding for 3 year and only got rentals and i am fed up rentals !@##$%

so i am buying a full set. i am limited to what sport check sells so keep that in mind unless i can get cheaper elsewhere (if so let me know).

Height - 5.6
Weight - 180lb
Size - 8 (when i went to try on boots)
Budget - Unlimited
style - all mountain and i wanna get into the park eventually

i am looking at the following set up

Boots - Ride Jackson Boa or Ride Anthem Boa (I like boa cuz i lazy)
Binding - Burton's Cartel or Burton Custom
Board - Ride Slack country or Burton's Clash

Any advise as this will be my first official gear set and don't really want to buy anything else for at least 3-4 years.

Thanks,

Banjo 10-09-2013 12:33 AM

If you are looking to get into park, the slackcountry might not be a great idea. Cant go wrong with Cartels, great do all binding.

Are you limited to just the stuff on their webpage? I have seen Sportchek here in Calgary with multiple Rossignol, and K2 boards. If they have those brands, I would take a good look at The K2 Happy Hour, Slayblade and Rossignol Jibsaw, Circuit and Taipan.

In my opinion all the above by Rossi and K2 are better options for you than the Clash and Slackcountry.

If you are lazy and want quick lacing, look at the speedlace options also (Burton Ambush is a solid boot) but most important, TRY THEM ON, GET THE RIGHT SIZE AND WHAT IS COMFORTABLE FOR YOU. Bad boot fit = terrible time no matter the rest of the gear.

Sweet hook up by the friend for sure!

icemonkey 10-09-2013 09:21 AM

Thanks for the advice i just got back from visiting sport check

I am in agreement wiht you that the cartels are definatley the way to go and at a cost of $160-180 its going to be a steal.

I tried out the Burton ambush and i have to so they are lighter and quite a sweet boot i may go that route as i prefer the laces but i am to lazy to tie them.

The down side is the boards, current selections in toronto are slim. i was told they will get more stuff but according to waht i saw 90% of waht they had was burton. so i may end up with a full burton set up. To bad they did not bring back the machette.

Outher options are:

K2 Happy (i think i saw it)
burton Nug
Burton Blunt
Burton Super Hero

I am really looking for a all rounded board that can own the mountian but still do ok in the park if needed

Thanks,

Donutz 10-09-2013 10:01 AM

I can only comment on the boots. I owned 3 pairs of Ride Jackson Boas. I really liked them, but A) they are a fairly soft boot, and B) they pack out and get kind of loose. After a season or so, I tended to have a problem with heel lift. So get the smallest size you can get into. The end of last season I bought some 32 Focus double-boa boots, which I like much better. They're a harder boot, and the double-boa gives you the ability to crank down the top of the foot better. If you're dead set on the Jacksons, get some really good insoles to even out the footbed a bit.

Riley212 10-09-2013 10:41 AM

the K2 happy hour or burton super hero

cartels are awesome

get whatever boots fit best

vandy16 10-09-2013 10:52 AM

not sure what you're looking at for final price, but evo.com has some pretty sweet deals going on right now, cartels for $160 and K2 Happy Hour (great board btw) for $335. Also, if you spend $500, you get 20% off, so toss in another $5 for a wallet or some cheap item off their website (Cartels and Happy Hour would have you at $497), and your price comes down to $128 for the Cartels and $268 for the Happy Hour. Boots I would still definitely buy locally so you find something that fits you perfect. Good luck!

Rob

vandy16 10-09-2013 10:55 AM

also if you go the evo.com route you're not limited to what sport check has, so you do have quite a few more options if there's other boards you were considering

Banjo 10-09-2013 11:02 AM

Being from Toronto, he will be limited by Evo's "brands we don't ship to Canada"

If they have the Happy Hour, that is definitely the better if the boards. I haven't ridden it, but in terms of tech and reviews, I think it's the way to go for sure Prob around a 153-156 for your weight/boot. Let us know what you get!

icemonkey 10-09-2013 04:39 PM

i am gonna go check out sport check again today so i know waht i am looking at and compare the Ride Jacksons vs the Burton Ambush also gonna look at the NIKE vapor The guy at the store said they good but they are not quick lace or boa.

any input?

so far with my research there is not much love for the Ride Jacksons good love for the Burton Ambush and NO INFO on the NIKE vapor.

Lots of love for the cartels so that is the direction i am gonna go jsut a matter of waht colour.

and i am gonna double check on the boards again. the site does not show waht they have and i am seeing lots of love for the K2 happy hour and the reviews are promising for an all round everything board.

so definatly now leaning towards that its jsut gonna be sad if i was wrong and they dont have it.

icemonkey 10-10-2013 08:10 AM

UPDATE!

Thanks for all the input but NEED SOME HELP again!

So i understand boots is going to be more of a comfort and fit thing which i need to figure out.

Bindings i am likely going with Burton CARTELS

BUT BOARD!

I have narrowed it down to waht they have and the following 2 boards

K2 Happy Hour (they dont have my size now)
K2 Raygun (they have my size now)

i did a bit of research and both are solid boards but not sure waht route to go.

Thanks,