Bindings: Toe cap strap or normal over the top strap? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tolem

Default Bindings: Toe cap strap or normal over the top strap?

My bindings let you position the toe strap in the traditional over the top position or as a toe cap style strap.

I went down the mountain the other day and decided to do a run with it in the toe cap position, but stopped halfway down the hill to change it back as it felt like it wasn't holding my feet DOWN onto the board as much. It felt like it was holding them back into the heel cup of the binding slightly more however, which makes sense after all.

What is the appeal of the toe cap style? Is it better for the terrain park or something? I'm just curious what everyone who uses it thinks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

When worn properly, a cap/convertible strap will put 45 degrees on pressure on your boot, holding it in place, both up/down and back/forth. A regular strap just holds the boot down and can create pressure points (squished toe effect).

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
scottik187

toe cap is the best.

The feeling is a little different, and takes a little getting used to, but toe cap is just so much more comfortable. i'd never go back

Last edited by scottik187; 12-07-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i would never use a over the toe strap again.....
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
desklamp

Sometimes after riding for a while, my toe cap strap moves off of the end of my boot and up towards where a regular strap would go. It's obviously loose at this point but I'm wondering why it even does that? Am I not tightening the strap enough?
Old 12-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

I made the switch to cap strap this year. I got a set of burton triad bindings. They are a lot more responsive than the old salomon toe straps i had. but yet again they were $100 less than the triads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desklamp View Post
Sometimes after riding for a while, my toe cap strap moves off of the end of my boot and up towards where a regular strap would go. It's obviously loose at this point but I'm wondering why it even does that? Am I not tightening the strap enough?
My cap straps also becomes loose as well. It does get annoying maybe we need a bigger cap strap.
zeeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by desklamp View Post
On the bottom of your bindings, the toe strap and ladder should be in a slot. This slot should have guides for fitting your strap/ladder either farther back or farther forward. Put them in the rearmost position.

GOD IS DONUT

Last edited by legallyillegal; 12-07-2008 at 09:24 PM.
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolem View Post
My bindings let you position the toe strap in the traditional over the top position or as a toe cap style strap.

I went down the mountain the other day and decided to do a run with it in the toe cap position, but stopped halfway down the hill to change it back as it felt like it wasn't holding my feet DOWN onto the board as much. It felt like it was holding them back into the heel cup of the binding slightly more however, which makes sense after all.

What is the appeal of the toe cap style? Is it better for the terrain park or something? I'm just curious what everyone who uses it thinks.
I have toe cap toe straps but personally ride with them over the toes. The newer toe straps these days distribute the pressure evenly so no concern for pressure points any more and that is thanks to the toe cap flexibility rather than a 'fixed' strap.

The idea of toe caps and cupping the toe... gimmick and selling point in my experience / testing gear and yes they tend to drop off my toes to. Mainly when carving hard on the toe edge, due to the strap sitting so low now (when cupping the toe) the ratchet catches the snow...! and releases...

Here's my take / discussion on the whole subject Tips Mondays Where to position your toe strap

Must be that you're a demon carver and keep catching the ratchet..! nice

Oh, must add, top caps do 'look' cooler though so you'll be down with the kids on that one...

Snowboard Blog | Weekly riding tips, technical articles and industry advice
BASI ISIA Snowboard Instructor and Freestyle Coach
keyaspectsoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hmmm...I have never had the toe cap on my Rome's come even close to coming loose.

If they are coming loose, I assume they are either crappy toe caps or not properly fitted for your boots.

Oh, and they are not gimmicky. When I tighten them and feel my boot get pressed down and back, yet don't feel any pressure on my toes, I'd say they are legit and not a gimmick.

Last edited by schmitty34; 04-18-2011 at 11:16 AM.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyaspectsoach View Post
I have toe cap toe straps but personally ride with them over the toes. The newer toe straps these days distribute the pressure evenly so no concern for pressure points any more and that is thanks to the toe cap flexibility rather than a 'fixed' strap.

The idea of toe caps and cupping the toe... gimmick and selling point in my experience / testing gear and yes they tend to drop off my toes to. Mainly when carving hard on the toe edge, due to the strap sitting so low now (when cupping the toe) the ratchet catches the snow...! and releases...

Here's my take / discussion on the whole subject Tips Mondays Where to position your toe strap

Must be that you're a demon carver and keep catching the ratchet..! nice

Oh, must add, top caps do 'look' cooler though so you'll be down with the kids on that one...
Must be a BASI boy ;-)

Over the toes like Bish recommended.
fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote