Board Advice: K2 Happy Hour 2013 vs Bataleon - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 04:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board Advice: K2 Happy Hour 2013 vs Bataleon

Hey guys!

I really need some advice, I've narrowed down my choice to two boards but can't decide.

I have just passed my rookie phase, would say I am intermediate I can make it all the way down on a slope without falling
Also tried some more advanced stuff, a few kickers (small one, i even managed to land on my feed a few times), some ollies over a few branches...

I am not a park guy though, not a big fan of jibbing. But I'd like to be able to manage a few jumps, maybe a box, a rail here and there, powder and mostly anything that makes for some fun on the slopes.
So I would say I need an all mountain board.

I am 1.83m (6ft), 73kg (160lbs).

Could you help me pick a board and a size?

The two boards that made it to my final choice are:
Order K2 K2 Happy Hour 159 2013 online in the Blue Tomato shop
Order Bataleon Goliath 158 Wide 2014 online in the Blue Tomato shop

The Bataleon is very attractive to me because of the TBT. I've read it is a bit more forgiving and easier to handle, and I am thinking it would help me progress maybe. The Goliath also seems stable and a good through anything at it board. So the main selling point would be the TBT. Any input on that in particular?

And the K2 Happy Hour... well, all reviews peg it as an almost perfect allrounder And i like the shape and color

Thanks alot guys!
DizzyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 04:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned!

I would advise you try TBT before you buy unless you are getting it for a steal.

How big are your feets? General rule: US11 is the breaking point between needing a wide and not.

Avoid if you don't need.

k2 Happy Hour is a fine choice.

at 160lbs I would steer you closer to 155 for all-mountain.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
I would advise you try TBT before you buy unless you are getting it for a steal.
I don't really have the option to try the TBT, no test boards in my area.
That's why I'd really like input from a few people that rode some TBT boards.

Quote:
How big are your feets? General rule: US11 is the breaking point between needing a wide and not.
My US shoe size is 10.5, I was not planning on buying a wide board, I know the link ponts to a wide boar but it was just a mistake, I actually was looking at the regular 157

Quote:
at 160lbs I would steer you closer to 155 for all-mountain.
Hmm, not too small? I'd like it to be stable enough for some carving...
Old 10-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyC View Post
I don't really have the option to try the TBT, no test boards in my area.
That's why I'd really like input from a few people that rode some TBT boards.

Hmm, not too small? I'd like it to be stable enough for some carving...
I did not like TBT, thought I would, didn't. If you get the deck for a good deal, I say who cares, but IMO its a bad idea to pay full price for it if you haven't tried it, you will be stuck with it(also they aren't hard to find on sale or last years). I paid almost $500 for my Evil Twin and couldn't even get a nibble for resell at $100. Its only been ridden about 10-20x. Gonna try it again the next few weeks as my NS's are at the factory getting repaired.

Not even hating on Bataleon, I have a feeling I will like this deck more then I did 2 years ago. If you are trying to spend carefully, this is my advice....

No 155 is not too small, you could ride a blunted 152-53 all mountain no problems. I ride a 154 Proto everywhere 20lbs heavier than you. There is a pretty wide range of what you may be comfy with, alot of people will steer you toward the higher end of the range, while my own examples tend toward the shorter end. I'm a big fan of blunted tips and extended rails on decks like the Proto, it rides 3-5cm longer than it really is.........there are variations on this theme from many other companies including Bataleon....

Last edited by snowklinger; 10-14-2013 at 05:51 AM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyC View Post
Hey guys!

I really need some advice, I've narrowed down my choice to two boards but can't decide.

I have just passed my rookie phase, would say I am intermediate I can make it all the way down on a slope without falling
Also tried some more advanced stuff, a few kickers (small one, i even managed to land on my feed a few times), some ollies over a few branches...

I am not a park guy though, not a big fan of jibbing. But I'd like to be able to manage a few jumps, maybe a box, a rail here and there, powder and mostly anything that makes for some fun on the slopes.
So I would say I need an all mountain board.

I am 1.83m (6ft), 73kg (160lbs).

Could you help me pick a board and a size?

The two boards that made it to my final choice are:
Order K2 K2 Happy Hour 159 2013 online in the Blue Tomato shop
Order Bataleon Goliath 158 Wide 2014 online in the Blue Tomato shop

The Bataleon is very attractive to me because of the TBT. I've read it is a bit more forgiving and easier to handle, and I am thinking it would help me progress maybe. The Goliath also seems stable and a good through anything at it board. So the main selling point would be the TBT. Any input on that in particular?

And the K2 Happy Hour... well, all reviews peg it as an almost perfect allrounder And i like the shape and color

Thanks alot guys!
I would say you're still a beginner if your standard is not falling But that doesn't matter.

I haven't tried TBT yet, and almost bought one without trying it. But it's really a love/hate thing I saw in the forums, so I withheld. I'd stick with tried and true personally. What if you buy it and absolutely hate it? You're stuck.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd wait a little longer till you've progressed more and have a better idea of what you're looking for before blindly dropping into TBT.

Happy Hour.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
I would say you're still a beginner if your standard is not falling But that doesn't matter.
Point taken
You are certainly right, this is also a reason for trying to find a board that will help me progress quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
I haven't tried TBT yet, and almost bought one without trying it. But it's really a love/hate thing I saw in the forums [...]
Yeah, I got the same feeling while reading up on TBT. I'll definitely look for a TBT Testboard this winter as it all sounds very intriguing for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I'd wait a little longer till you've progressed more and have a better idea of what you're looking for before blindly dropping into TBT.

Happy Hour.
Thanks for the answer!

And thanks to all of you for your help.

Tags
advice, board, intermediate