Not another "What board?" thread... NS, Lib, Bataleon? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seedy J

Default Not another "What board?" thread... NS, Lib, Bataleon?

I'm thinking of getting a new board ASAP, but I'm having some trouble deciding.

I'm 27, 5'7", and weigh around 160. I've done one full season (~20 days) of riding. I guess I'm an intermediate rider... I can do black runs (or at least, what passes for "black" here... probably more like easy/medium blues in the US) switch, and I'm ok with trees if it's not too steep. 180s and easy grabs off kickers are no problem, but no 360 yet. Occasional rails and boxes, but I'm more into freeriding and jumping.

I have an old Burton Dominant 154 now. It's a lot of fun, but I want to get something that's better for freeriding, high speeds, and deep powder. Unfortunately, I won't be able to demo anything before I buy. I'd like to keep it around $500 USD or less, and I'd like something with reverse camber/BTX/rocker/whatever the cool kids are calling it these days. I'm thinking of getting...

Never Summer Legacy-R: Been drooling over this one for months. Looks great, and NS isn't available in Japan so it'd be unique. My shoe size is 9.5 though... would it be stupid to get a mid-wide board? Should I be looking at a different NS board?

Lib-Tech T.Rice BTX (pointy): Also sounds good, but is this the right Lib Tech board for what I'm looking for?

Bataleon Evil Twin(?) TBT sounds interesting, but I read on their site that it's like having a 3 degree edge. I already have a board with 3 degree edges...

What do you guys think? Any other boards I should consider? Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

As far as the Never Summer, with a 9.5 boot you should look at the SL-R. The Legacy-R is a mid wide version of the SL-R
FLBOARD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fallen Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedy J View Post
I'm thinking of getting a new board ASAP, but I'm having some trouble deciding.

I'm 27, 5'7", and weigh around 160. I've done one full season (~20 days) of riding. I guess I'm an intermediate rider... I can do black runs (or at least, what passes for "black" here... probably more like easy/medium blues in the US) switch, and I'm ok with trees if it's not too steep. 180s and easy grabs off kickers are no problem, but no 360 yet. Occasional rails and boxes, but I'm more into freeriding and jumping.

I have an old Burton Dominant 154 now. It's a lot of fun, but I want to get something that's better for freeriding, high speeds, and deep powder. Unfortunately, I won't be able to demo anything before I buy. I'd like to keep it around $500 USD or less, and I'd like something with reverse camber/BTX/rocker/whatever the cool kids are calling it these days. I'm thinking of getting...

Never Summer Legacy-R: Been drooling over this one for months. Looks great, and NS isn't available in Japan so it'd be unique. My shoe size is 9.5 though... would it be stupid to get a mid-wide board? Should I be looking at a different NS board?

Lib-Tech T.Rice BTX (pointy): Also sounds good, but is this the right Lib Tech board for what I'm looking for?

Bataleon Evil Twin(?) TBT sounds interesting, but I read on their site that it's like having a 3 degree edge. I already have a board with 3 degree edges...

What do you guys think? Any other boards I should consider? Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post.
If you're going to be riding deep pow I would definitely go with something with a rocker. You'd be amazed at how much of a difference it makes. You might need to check and make sure that your choice sticks can be shipped to Japan. A lot of companies won't/can't ship some makes/models overseas. And yes the T.Rice BTX would be a good choice. Or if you're really wanting to throw down the cash, the Dark Series
Old 12-09-2008, 01:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
curlyside

if you're looking at a bataleon for more freeride, i wouldn't go for the evil twin. check out the Bataleon Goliath for freeride. TBT is supposed to be sick though, i really wanna get a chance to try it lol
Old 12-09-2008, 04:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
snowaddiction79

Based on what you do on the mountain I'd say:

Never Summer SL-R or even the EVO-R. The SL-R is not as stiff but it has more dampening than the EVO-R

Libtech I'd go with the TRS BTX

Not too familiar with the Bataleon line but I hear they are also good.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seedy J

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyside View Post
check out the Bataleon Goliath for freeride.
Thanks, that's the one I was trying to think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Saint View Post
If you're going to be riding deep pow I would definitely go with something with a rocker... You might need to check and make sure that your choice sticks can be shipped to Japan.
Already got it covered - I'm going to have the board sent to my dad in FL, then have him send it over. It should end up being cheaper than buying one here... boards that cost $500 back home cost $800+ here.