anyone use a camelbak? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 02:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default anyone use a camelbak?

I personally hate stopping when I go snowboarding. I am in line waiting for the lift to open in the morning and am always one of the last down when they close at night. I piss in the woods, eat snacks that I stash in pockets and generally use the ice that builds up on my big beard as my source of water, all so I can get a few extra runs in. Mainly this is because where I board, Greek Peak, has slow lifts and the vertical is only 1000 feet. 10 minute ride up for 30 seconds down (slightly exaggerated). So to try to make things easier I started looking online at camelbaks. I wanted to find something that held more than a cup of water, but wasn't going to be a bulky and awkward 50 gallon tank on my back. Also I don't want something that is going to interfere with the lift as well as when riding down the mountain. I don't go into the park hardly at all and generally just like to ride fast, carve and hit a few jumps. Initially I was worried about falling with one on and having it burst all over my back leaving me a soaking wet mess, but after some searching i found this which has a three year warranty on the inner reservoir.. http://www.ebags.com/camelbak/scorpi...modelid=123185

Anyone have any thoughts on it? Anyone ever use this before or a previous model?

My dad used to do a lot of skiing and he told me to get this... Spanish Wine Bota Unlike him I tend to see skiing/snowboarding more as a sport and don't feel the need to drink wine or any other alcoholic beverage although I know I could use this for water as well. Also I would like some pockets to store food in and didn't really want to have that hanging under my armpit which seems like the place it would naturally go/be most comfortable and out of the way.
Glade Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2008, 02:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet

I've used an old ghetto one for years....good hydration = endurance = lots of laps. I wear it under my shell so it doesn't freeze up nor get caught on the lift. I fill it up about 2/3 water, no air...nice an squishy, never has it blown up even when turtling.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
snowaddiction79

I started using one about 2 seasons ago. I originally purchased one to stay hydrated but use more as a backpack. No more shoving things in all my pockets. I put everything in my pack and just ride. It also serves as a good back protector if you have enough stuff in it. It saved me a few times when landing on my back. Out of my group I'm probably one of the only ones that rides with one. I actually feel naked without riding with it LOL. Try one out you'll like it.

BTW I contemplated putting bear in the resovoir but the cleanup would be a pain. Also the resovoir is mega strong. What sold me was when I saw a demo of an employee jumping on a completely full reservoir without it popping
Old 12-09-2008, 02:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowaddiction79 View Post
BTW I contemplated putting bear in the resovoir but the cleanup would be a pain.
I agree cleaning bear out of one of these would be hard but is it really big enough to get bear into? The one I was looking at is only 2L. I believe a bear is larger than that

I was thinking of putting gatorade or water in it. Or maybe baby panda
Glade Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
snowaddiction79

LOL hahaha thanks for spotting that I meant Beer LOL. Anyhow yeah I also thought about gatorade or any sports drink.

Oh and for reference I'm using the Hellion CamelBak Hellion > Hydration Packs > Backpacks - eBags which is much larger than the one you were looking at. I can hardly tell I'm wearing it while I'm riding even with the reservoir full.

Last edited by snowaddiction79; 12-09-2008 at 03:03 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

i carry a small backpack all the time so never had a chance to use this... i just throw a bottle of gatorade in there with a bunch of energy bars =p
NYCboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Camelbaks are the way to go. I use the zoid, and have really loved it. CamelBak Zoid (Closeout) > Hydration Packs > Backpacks - eBags It has slightly more water capacity, and slightly less storage than the scorpion. It will hold keys, wallet, etc., and fits really flush to your body. The scorpion looks nice too, and either way it will be money well spent.
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I hate to chime in and be the "Burton Brand whore" here, but this pack has served me well over the last year:

Burton - AK 20L Pack (Roasted Brown Smoke Camo) - 6PM.com

Not that exact one, but its very similar. Has three pockets: One main large one, a zippered small one within the large one, and an outer pocket. The outer pocket is pretty water proof, and the large inner one only got water in it once when I didn't screw the tube in correctly :P

I use the small pocket to carry my board lock and tissues, the large one to carry a small stick of rub-on wax, a screwdriver, snacks if I have any, and the outer pocket to carry extra gloves or a neck warmer.

It won't carry more than, say, a long sleeve T, folded, BUT the pack is very compact and light weight... its probably only 3" thick, and it carries my BOARD if I wanna hike backcountry!!

The only downside is that the water will freeze in the drinking tube, so after a few sips, just 'blow' back into the tube to clear the water out and you're good to go

Kris
Toronto Prelude Club
kri$han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mendel

Anyone have this problem?
I got the snoblast, I believe. http://store.mpgear.com/ProductImage...k/SnoBlast.jpg
And I used it for a few trips last year, except whenever I wore it, I felt like I had lost 2 years of experience lol. I would catch edges like I was 12, and eat shit all over the mountain.

I was thinking it's a weight issue? Because my weight would be centered behind me(left if you are looking downhill, riding regular). But I'm not quite sure. I wasn't as good as I am today, but I could hold myself on blacks. But when I strapped on that camelbak, which I freaking loved, I stumbled like an idiot all over the place lol .
Old 12-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just make sure you put fresh water in it every day before going out(not the night before)..I tried a friends camelbak he bought on the mountain he filled the day before..and while the device was perfect the water from his new camel tasted like rubber because it had been in overnight and during the day. Im sure that goes away somewhat once its used a few times..
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote