New board setup - tech type info - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
NErider

Default New board setup - tech type info

I got my new board and binding yesterday and decided to do all the set up myself. Board is a Rossi Alias and binding are Burton freestyles.

Even though I read the instructions I still have a few questions. The first and probably most important is the distance between each binding. Is there a set standard for this, like an actual measurement?

A local shop said my feet should be just outside of my shoulders. I think I am just about there but it feels kind of wide....not uncomfortable, just wide. I have plenty of room to tweak this either by different mounts on the board or different points in the mounting disk.

My next question is about the base. Do I and should I wax the base before I ride it for the first time? If so, what should I be using for wax?

Coming from skiing it was always a hot wax at the start of the season and a hand wax every few times out.

Last question has to do with the leash, do I even need one? The leash Burton supplied is only a few inches long. I can't for the life of me figure out how it would work.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

One solution is to center both bindings in their sets holes for a "generic" setup.

The second that i found useful for myself and some people would probably be to do do a quick moving jump with your shoes on and land square on both feet, then mount your bindings about that far apart. It actually works pretty well because nobody really can communicate or replicate how they stand that feels comfortable and balanced but a quick jump and landing and you can usually find a good area to start. Some people tend to have wide stances to keep balance, others like closer stances.
In the end just go with what is most comfortable and try to keep your body centered as much as possible in general. As in dont go for the center holes on your front binding and the far right holes on your back binding...if you like a small stance use the two two most inner sets, and then move then each out 1 and try again.

As for waxing, yes get it waxed...you can get all types of all temperature wax, im sure your local shop can show you whats good for your local mountains if your unsure.

The leash is something that may or may not be needed, some mountains require it and others dont. Basically you do the through loop to loop it around your binding(not around the strap, around the sides or somewhere else it cant come off) and then once your strapped in take the clamp/hook thingy and stick it around one of your boot laces or something else nearby.

Last edited by arsenic0; 12-09-2008 at 01:12 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
alasdairm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NErider View Post
Even though I read the instructions I still have a few questions. The first and probably most important is the distance between each binding. Is there a set standard for this, like an actual measurement?

A local shop said my feet should be just outside of my shoulders. I think I am just about there but it feels kind of wide....not uncomfortable, just wide. I have plenty of room to tweak this either by different mounts on the board or different points in the mounting disk.
every rider is different. experiment and see what works best for you.
Quote:
My next question is about the base. Do I and should I wax the base before I ride it for the first time? If so, what should I be using for wax?
i hot wax my board maybe once every 10 or so trips. sometimes less sometimes more frequently. use appropriate wax for the conditions you ride.
Quote:
Last question has to do with the leash, do I even need one? The leash Burton supplied is only a few inches long. I can't for the life of me figure out how it would work.
one end clips to your binding the other end to your laces. that should not be a distance of more than a few inches?

alasdair
Old 12-10-2008, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
NErider

Thanks for the tips. I shortened the distance between my bindings last night by using the next hole in the mounting disk. The stance feels much more natural.