Get new boots?? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Joetaff

Default Get new boots??

Hey I was just wondering if I should invest in a new pair of boots for this season. I would consider myself to be a mid level rider. Currently I have an 08 gnu chb mtx board with ride lx bindings and cheap Lamar boots. The lamars are comfy warm and dry, but I have always heard to get nice boots. Why is that, I mean what are the advantages to nice boots vs. no name boots? will they be noticeably lighter and help me progress? just wondering if that would be a good investment.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yes. I would invest in some new boots. You don't have to buy this season boots, you could buy last season boots and save money. I did a first impression on my new Vans Cirro in the equipment review section. I personally love Vans and if you have a place near you that sells them, you should at least try them on. I've tried on a billion pairs of boots and Vans always feel the best to me.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Good boots are usually stiffer and more responsive and allow you to transfer energy to your board more than soft boots. Its like night and day. I used to be poor so we'd always get old rental boots and they sucked. When I bought my first pair of high end boots it was like a new world of snowboarding just opened up to me. I started riding a lot of park which usually calls for more flexible boots but I liked the response and power of the stiff boots so much that I still ride a pretty stiff boot in the park.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dirtastegood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetaff View Post
Hey I was just wondering if I should invest in a new pair of boots for this season. I would consider myself to be a mid level rider. Currently I have an 08 gnu chb mtx board with ride lx bindings and cheap Lamar boots. The lamars are comfy warm and dry, but I have always heard to get nice boots. Why is that, I mean what are the advantages to nice boots vs. no name boots? will they be noticeably lighter and help me progress? just wondering if that would be a good investment.......
I (personally, buut am no expert at all) Have only noticed a few things. Last year i rode with a pair of sims boots, witch are half way a brand name, and had no problems at all. They were hard, but gave me way good response. I also rode with a different pair of snowmobile racings boots witch had more flex, and gave for easier on my ankles. I have had surgeory on my ankle and it starts killing if it gets like turn a little bit the wrong way. Back on subject, stiff boots are better for me if i am just going to be riding for like 4-5 hours. After that amount of time, my ankles kill and if i am riding daylong , i ride with flexy, soft boots. Just my opinion and has nothing to do with others opinions. Soft boots are kinder to your feet compared to stiff, harder boots.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well, stiff boots are typically used for mountain riding and soft boots are made for park. Extremo is a bit uncommon with stiff boots in the park. They are very unforgiving and can make landings a lot harder. A good mid-flex boots keeps your options wide open.

I ride mid stiff boots. Mine rate a 6/9 stiffness (9 being the stiffest). I never hit the park, but I do like to get some air sometimes so I didn't want anything made for hardcore backcountry riding.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Good boots are very important, and get some that fit.

I also prefer a slightly stiffer boot, even in the park. My boots are a 7/10 in stiffness and I use them everywhere. I have just switched from 32 boots to Northwave Dacade's, hands down the best boots I have ever tried. Vans and DC are also nice boots.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
Good boots are usually stiffer and more responsive and allow you to transfer energy to your board more than soft boots. Its like night and day. I used to be poor so we'd always get old rental boots and they sucked. When I bought my first pair of high end boots it was like a new world of snowboarding just opened up to me. I started riding a lot of park which usually calls for more flexible boots but I liked the response and power of the stiff boots so much that I still ride a pretty stiff boot in the park.
your like the only other person ive ever heard say that but i completely agree.
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Sick-Gnar

celsius boots are pretty dope this year i have to say. no forward lean so there ultra comfy to walk around in. and a lot of people hate on thirty-two but i got a pair of 07 prions for 70 bucks and there pretty sick. if your looking for lighter boots thirty-two is the way to go. you can spend big bucks on buying there ultra lights, or you can buy whatever you like because all the 08-09 models have the ultralight sole and theres really only a slighttttt difference in weight.

but im sure theres gonna be a bunch of people that say thirty-twos are shit.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

thirty-twos are shit... Lol just figured i'd get it out of the way :-)

On the real, go with whatever brand you feel the most comfortable with. Something to consider with those Ride bindings though is not every boot fits them properly. They tend to have a narrower design as do their boots so you may have an issue fitting Vans, 32 or Burton boots in them. Just make sure to take your bindings with you to try on boots to ensure they fit properly. I'm speaking from experience here not just rhetoric having rode Ride SPi's for about 2-3yrs and being somewhat limited in the boots avaialble to me locally that fit them properly.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote