Quick snowboard wax tool question .. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 12:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Quick snowboard wax tool question ..

This will be my first time waxing my snowboard and I've been reading a lot. I've read the stickies here, at Sierra Snowboard, YouTube- SnowWolf's, Sierra Snowboard, Franklin Crowe's videos and etc.

I have the Swix Economy Wax Kit. It comes with an iron, three different types of wax, nylon brush, fiberglass scraper.

After watching Snow Wolf's video, I bought a steel brush from Lowes. I'm not sure if it's too strong or not to the point where it damages my base. Here's an example of the bristles on the brush ..

Shur-Line at Lowe's: Premium Long Handle Wire Brush with Scraper

In Snow Wolf's video, he states that I should get a brass brush/horse hair brush. Unfortunately, hardware stores don't really have these, and if they do it's toothbrush sized, so my question is the bristle in the link adequate so that it won't damage my base? I believe that Snow Wolf said that the brush should be used to brush off the wax and helps take off the wax.

Another question is I'm looking for file guides, gummy stones, and diamond stones. Where can I get these? Online, cheapest? What about local retailers in the PNW, Washington state to be exact?

Thanks a lot!
DragonXero13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 02:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Steel is too hard. Brass/copper/bronze are softer. It doesn't matter a whole lot; you can do without a wire brush (same goes for the horsehair brush). They can be nice to have, but not totally necessary.

Wherever you bought that pack from should have side edge file tools (you could even make your own if you have precision tools), and stones. Your hardware store should also have stones, just ask where the metal/granite polishing stuff is.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tolem

Do you think that the soft steel brushes are fine? Ive been using this "Fine Steel Brush" from tognar right after I wax: Ski Snowboard Wax Waxing Irons Tools Scrapers Brushes Tognar

it says
Quote:
These durable fine steel brushes feature soft steel bristles designed to be used for initial brushing after scraping excess wax (hard or soft) from any structure pattern (fine, medium or coarse) on any ski or snowboard base. They can also be used as a polishing brush for hard waxes. Although initially more expensive than brass or copper brushes, these steel bristles stay sharper, are more durable, have better memory and don't deform as easily over time.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I use copper scrup pads from the grocery store, when they get gunked up with was, I press them against the iron
RidePowder is offline   Reply With Quote