Why didn't someone warn me! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 02:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
edmontonsara

Default Why didn't someone warn me!

OMG Ouch! For anyone here who sucks (like me) at getting off the chair without falling, here is a tip I wish someone had told me. Before you get on the chair, flip down the highback on your back binding! I wiped soooo hard getting off the chair this weekend. Someone got in my way at the bottom of the ramp, and I fell, crashing the back of my thigh HARD right down onto my highback. I dont even know how that is possible, but it is. The bruise is ugly, huge and sooo swollen. It just takes a second to flip it down... Im gonna be in pain for days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 02:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
banana.falcon

just get more practice with your balance. put most of your weight on your lead foot that's straped in.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
edmontonsara

Im trying really hard to do that, but it just feels wrong so far. Like with my back foot against my back binding my feet are too close together to have any real control over the board... in this case I tried toe pressure to steer around the jerkoff who was standing at the bottom of the ramp lighting a smoke, my back toes caught on the snow, and my leg shot out in front of me. Should I only be steering with my front foot?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
snowaddiction79

It just takes practice my friend. You may also want to invest in a stompad for the time being to help get a grip on the board. Also how wide is your stance?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
edmontonsara

My stance is set as wide as my board will allow... I ride a 147. I have stomp studs on there now, but you are probably right about needing more practice! Ive only been riding for a year, and I havent had a ton of days on the mountain. Just came back from 4 days in Banff, and I think I will get more riding time this year than I did last year.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yup just takes more practice. I actually found that the easiest way for me is to not try to turn, especially on 3 or 4 man lifts...

Just stand on the board and point it straight ahead..takes a bit to get over the feeling of no control but most of the ramps here are fairly steep coming down to a nice flat area..
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
N~R~G

what i do that helps is i kinda hold on to the seat of the chair with my back hand to give me balance as i stand up, and then i give myself a lil push as the chair is moving me forward & zoooooooooom, away i go!

and then i stop & strap in & yada yada....

and then zooooooooom, i'm off again!

lol.

Last edited by N~R~G; 12-10-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
N~R~G

well i ride a 144 & can skate just fine, so it's not about your feet being too close together because mine are even closer than yours.

and maybe i'm doing it "wrong", but i do use my back foot to help stear when i'm skating. sometimes i need to apply pressure to the edge to keep the tail from turning out, and it's my back foot that does it.

so yeah, you just need practice.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonsara View Post
My stance is set as wide as my board will allow... I ride a 147. I have stomp studs on there now, but you are probably right about needing more practice! Ive only been riding for a year, and I havent had a ton of days on the mountain. Just came back from 4 days in Banff, and I think I will get more riding time this year than I did last year.
heres my reccomendation, studs really arent that great of a stomp pad. i would get a dakine pad to start, it helps so so much for gettin off the lift. i had a dakine pad with huge sharp spikes that would easily make you bleed if you stepped on it with just a sock..
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
alasdairm

i advise always kicking dow the rear highback for a different reason - sometimes, if the chair is really low to the ground, the highback will be damaged if it gets crushed under the chair.

i've been at resorts - alpine meadows comes to mind - where they have a warning posted at the chair to remind you to do this (and also to remind you that the resort is not responsible if it does happen )

alasdair