Yes Pick Your Line (PYL) and Flux DM? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yes Pick Your Line (PYL) and Flux DM?

Hey Everyone - Am new to the forum as well; had an old set-up for the longest time and finally figured it was time to update my board/bindings. Haven't really been following all the developments in the gear world, but have read a ton these couple of weeks (found this forum to be incredibly helpful and awesome).

Would love to hear any comments/suggestions on the below setup? Especially interested if anyone has experience mixing and matching board/bindings/boots from different manufacturers or experience with Yes and/or Flux.

RIDER DETAILS:
Height/Weight/Size: 5' 11", 165lbs, US9.0
Level: Intermediate/Expert
Preferred Riding Style: All mtn. freeride, powder, backcountry, trees/glades, jumps
Typical Locations:Japan (Niseko, Hakuba), Canada (Whistler, Tremblant, local mountains), US (Tahoe, Jackson Hole) - I now live where there's no snow so need to rely on regular boarding trips abroad!

PROPOSED SETUP:
Board: 2014 Yes Pick Your Line 161cm (can also consider 2013 but think they're getting to be hard to find)
Bindings: 2014 Flux DM (also can consider Flux SF, but thought DM matches better with the red lol)
Boots: 2013 Burton Ions (own these already)

ADDITIONAL POINTS:
- I currently have 2012 Burton Restricted Cartels, though I'm not a big fan of the color and think for freeride maybe the asym strap isn't needed; therefore thinking I'd sell them for a new pair of bindings.
- Thought about the 2012 Yes Pick Your Line board (available for $300 on the Clymb), but think the 2014 version may be worth the extra price?
- One thing about the 2014 Yes PYL: Anyone know why they put the "Yes" logo right where the binding mount is? Just seems like the art on the board won't make much sense after the bindings are attached - maybe it's just me...

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014YesPYL.jpg (35.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2014FluxDM.jpg (43.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 2014FluxSF.jpg (40.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2013BurtonIons.jpg (84.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Gohsef; 10-20-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Adding in-line pictures
Gohsef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have a 2013 PYL, and I really love it. from what I've read, the 2013 and 2014 are quite similar, but the 2012 is very different (stiffer, less camber).

I rode it last year with a set of 2012 cartels and had absolutely no issues, felt the set up was 100% solid and never gave me any issues. I typically seek out steep terrain, pow and am always seeking ways to get airborne in such terrain.

I cant speak for the Flux bindings as I have never ridden them. But you will be good with either this years or last years PYL, but I wouldnt go with the 2012 model. There are multiple reviews on this site (search) as there are a few forum members who have a PYL.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome, thanks Banjo. Glad your PYL has been awesome so far - definitely lots of good things about the PYL here on the forum.

Odd thing is - not a whole lot about Flux Bindings. I guess I'll just sit tight and see if anyone else chimes in

Am really torn between Flux DM, SF, TT30 or another brand like NS or Rome.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fire on Ice...and Powder!

Who is NS?
Never Summer doesn't make bindings.
GreyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
Who is NS?
Never Summer doesn't make bindings.
Good catch - I'm such an amatuer! I actually meant "Am really torn between Flux, Rome, or Burton (specifically just the 2013 or 2014 Cartels)".
Old 10-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I will say that I think the 161cm is huge, I am almost your exact same stats, maybe like 3 lbs lighter and I ride a 154cm day to day and a 158 as my pow board. I myself would never consider something as big as a 161. Any ways, just my opinion, not saying I am right.
atr3yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr3yu View Post
I will say that I think the 161cm is huge, I am almost your exact same stats, maybe like 3 lbs lighter and I ride a 154cm day to day and a 158 as my pow board. I myself would never consider something as big as a 161. Any ways, just my opinion, not saying I am right.
I am those stats exactly.
161 is deff not huge, @ our weight I think that is the perfect size for a daily driver. It does pow, crud & bomb but still small enough to crank 3's.

There just isn't enough distance between your rides.
I think you need to try a monster

You just think it's huge, cause you've never ridden one.

Borrow someones 165 next pow day.
I swear, you'll love it. It's not @ all how you think it's gonna be.
Then you'll think 161 is the perfect size for everyday

I just bought a new 2010 camber Never Summer Summit 172, + a few more

Watch out powder, I'm comin' fer ya.

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
As a blanket statement that is nonsense. It really differs and depends on the board in question. For instance, I am lighter at 155lbs and my 2 main pow boards are a 152 (Con Artist) and 163 (Gentem Big Fish).
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
As a blanket statement that is nonsense. It really differs and depends on the board in question. For instance, I am lighter at 155lbs and my 2 main pow boards are a 152 (Con Artist) and 163 (Gentem Big Fish).
As I said its just my opinion and may not be right. I have ridden a few larger boards and spent my first season riding a 159. I demoed a slash atv 161 last season on a deep pow day and felt so out of place on it. I by no means have the experience that most of you guys do and was just trying to provide another opinion for the op. I should have let the op know my experience level and to take my suggestions lightly.
atr3yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
As I said its just my opinion and may not be right. I have ridden a few larger boards and spent my first season riding a 159. I demoed a slash atv 161 last season on a deep pow day and felt so out of place on it. I by no means have the experience that most of you guys do and was just trying to provide another opinion for the op. I should have let the op know my experience level and to take my suggestions lightly.
I think it had to have been the setup?
It probably wasn't set up for a DEEP pow day, it was probably set up in your standard twinned out stance.

Set up properly, there is no way you should have felt that out of place on a board that's only a few cm's bigger than your usual stick

Cause if it was set up properly, it shouldn't have felt that much different than most of the other boards you've ridden.

Something was amiss that day, you need to borrow someones deck that you're riding with.
There's a better chance it's gonna be set up right.

Don't be stubborn, prove me wrong.

I'm just sayin', if there's a chance it can be better.

You should look into it.

TT

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote