Questions on what and what not to buy - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Questions on what and what not to buy

Hey everyone i just have a few questions for you guys and girls..

i use to snowboard years ago growing up but i stoped in highschool and i really want to get back into it. the big problem is i grew out of everything

I am looking for a winter jacket that will be good for snowboarding.. I bought the North Face Hero triclimate jacket but I just dont think it will be warm enough? It is very thin and light.. I am looking at these
The North Face Nuptse Down Jacket - Men's - FREE SHIPPING at Altrec.com

Best Prices on Burton Down Snowboard Jacket 3D Print Rock Salt - Mens Snowboards Jacket Clothes Snowboarding Apparel Clothing

Any suggestions on good jackets around $200 would be great!!

one more thing.. I want to buy a new snowboard but I dont no what brands are good and bad

I dont do tricks or anything lol im not a pro i just like to go.. I was looking at the Gnu vertigo2007 board because i like the colors green and white but i dont no if that is a good board.. I want my board to have green in it and not too expensive because I wont be going that much but I am done growing so I will have this board for awhile..anything under 300 maybe? or 350?

any suggestions would be great thankss

edit: After looking around on ebay i found this deal
Rossignol RPM 155 Snowboard + Bindings + Forum Boots - eBay (item 130271245469 end time Dec-23-08 20:46:39 PST)

It looks like a good price for a board, bindings, and boots.. what do you all think about that?

Last edited by Maskot; 12-10-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Maskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
desklamp

Shoe size? Weight?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

my shoe size is 9.5 and i am about 140-145 lbs and 5'8 if that matters?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
desklamp

No, height doesn't matter.

I wouldn't buy your first pair of boots online. It might cost more to buy a pair in a shop but at least you know how they fit before you buy them.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That jacket is more than adequate i wouldnt bother with a new jacket...

It has basically two layers, once you are wearing your thermals(which you should be!) you should have no problem keeping warm. If by some freak of nature you still feel cold throw on a shirt underneath

Personally not a big fan of down jackets, because you tend to either be way too hot or have to open it up and get way too cold. Layering is the best way IMHO but some really like those jackets

As for boots, dont buy from the internet without trying them on first. Just buy from a local shop, and dont go cheap on your boots! Get the most comfortable boots you can afford! Honestly if you only have 350 for boots/bindings/board you need to go out now and start looking at the old 2007 model boots before they are all gone if they arent already. Buy a good high quality pair of boots for around 100 bucks or more, and spend the rest on board/bindings. Never buy used boots, never buy used bindings/snowboards without being able to physically inspect them in person before purchase. A lot of smaller snowboard/skate shops will have consignment or used snowboard/binding combos for cheap, some more beat up than others...

Your asking what not to do...and my answer straight up is don't buy that thing off Ebay

Last edited by arsenic0; 12-11-2008 at 01:20 AM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks for the advice I will stay away from ebay atleast when it comes to boots because it seems to be a big deal lol

the bad thing is we dont have a local shop around here so maybe this weekend I can go to a bigger city and find some shops..

I always wear layers of clothing too I just didnt no if that jacket would do the job

do you have any suggestions on what brand or kind of snowboard I should look for?
Old 12-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

First off, let me just say there is NOTHING wrong with e-bay. I bought my first board off e-bay and, as long as you do it right, it isn't a problem. Make sure the board isn't damaged and get lots of pics. Just be careful with you're buying and you'll be fine.

I bought my boots off e-bay, too. The only thing you want to avoid is boots that have been USED. If they are new you will be fine. Used boots just tend to conform to the wearer's foot and can make them fit poorly on the second person. If you try on the boots at a store, you will be fine buying them off the internet. Vans boots have always fit me just like street shoes, so I didn't try on my new ones and they fit flawlessly.

There isn't really a specific brand of board you SHOULD buy. Just make sure that whatever you buy is suitable for you. Your weight/height will probably warrant a low 150's board, but no one can tell you what is perfect for you. I recommend going to a demo day and trying out some boards for yourself. You don't buy a car without driving it. I don't drop $X00 on a board without riding it.

As for jackets, I don't like layers of bulk. I wear an UA Cold Gear shirt and a Quicksilver Space Station jacket. I have been warm in near 0 degree weather. If you spend a little more money, you can cut out some layers. Cold Gear shirts are expensive, but worth every penny in my opinion.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote