Looking for board advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for board advice

Long post but hopefully paints the picture...

Intermediate- Advanced Rider
165-170 lbs
5'10"

Realized I may want to buy 2 boards and just switch out depending on the day
Park/Jib board and a stiffer deck that could be a Twin All-Mountain or Freeride

For what I think would be my main deck, i would say the first
I like a Noodle and rocker/flat, don't like to catch edges, don't like the idea of the Skate Banana having these contact points for cutting edge in ice, seems like it would be jittery, heard the Burton Flying V boards have lag/engage lag/engage tendencies, also too stiff for what I'm looking for, maybe NS RC boards perfected this tech because everyone swears by them, they also make way more money than I do. Another thought comes to mind, when I started doing tech sliding on my long board, I used a Regular Vert deck with Tensor Trucks (not a RKP) and Hard 65mm wheels, total cost $90, sure my other boards are finely tuned but I still take out my Frankenstein-ish homemade hybrid and have a blast, all about the rider, not the ride...

Looking to butter easy, trying to progress hard on this, super comfortable
riding switch, like popping big ollies/nollies off natural rollers, rails and boxes
Being a surfer/longboard tech slider, I hack at anything that resembles a wave / bowl. I like laybacks and wrapping sliding carves down vertical faces.
Most of my jumps don't creep past 10 ft and are mainly tweaked grabs
Any opportunity for powder or unridden lines, my freeride freak sense kicks in, I love the trees and hitting the most difficult runs too. Avoid Green and Blue runs at all cost, spend most of the day in Park and Double Diamond runs
This is why I think I need two boards...

I'm in the East but moving to the West next year

I like the idea of a quiver killer and I have a surfboard and a long board that fall under that category, so yeah...

My main deck has come down to this...

K2 WWW 2012 (it's $169.00) if no big difference from the 2013
K2 WWW 2013
Rome Artifact 2013
Bataleon Disaster 2013
I want an Evo badly but if I could have 2 boards, I'll go that route
All about the support but I'm broke and want two boards

Thought of looking for a 2011/2012 Evo, more within my price range
Strong back up choices would be the
Westmark, NS SL (2012) thought would be more versatile, too stiff
The Hammerhead, hesitant on the shape
The WWW had such a killer flat stable section on the nose/tail, I thought this board would butter so nicely, somebody on the forum recommended a Rider's choice, there's a million other boards, I could go on forever

Is Forum out of the question because for a boot, I went with the 2013 Forum Kickers? Youngblood?

As for a binding, I think the K2 Hurithanes or the Forum Shakas
The K2 bindings had so many easy features that would come in handy

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
1 board would be ideal but I'm more of a multi quiver type.
I appreciate the small differences and subtleties, just don't like lemons
I'm trying to pick up my board real soon, just need a little help making up my mind...
thelin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Thinking the 2012 WWW is a steal at that price, 157. Longer than I wanted but should be alright.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My home mountain is Mt. Bachelor. In the few years I have lived in Bend, I learned that it is truly perfect for it's natural wind made features. I too grew up surfing. Lived in San Clemente for 21 years before leaving the beach. I love to surf snow. From the various boards I have ridden, I have fallen deeply in love with the Salomon Sick Stick. The board lets me surf every natural lip, hip and roller like I am shredding overhead uppers. If there is more than a few inches at the stake, I'm ridding that thing. Good luck out west next year. Where you headin by the way? Obviously you didn't mention it, but for the way you described your style, I thought I'd add my opinion. You surf the cold waters of Long Island?

Last edited by ridinbend; 10-25-2013 at 03:25 AM.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Here's the link if anyone is interested, they have a bunch of 2012 closeouts... K2 2012 WWW Snowboard
Old 10-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbend View Post
My home mountain is Mt. Bachelor. In the few years I have lived in Bend, I learned that it is truly perfect for it's natural wind made features. I too grew up surfing. Lived in San Clemente for 21 years before leaving the beach. I love to surf snow. From the various boards I have ridden, I have fallen deeply in love with the Salomon Sick Stick. The board lets me surf every natural lip, hip and roller like I am shredding overhead uppers. If there is more than a few inches at the stake, I'm ridding that thing. Good luck out west next year. Where you headin by the way? Obviously you didn't mention it, but for the way you described your style, I thought I'd add my opinion. You surf the cold waters of Long Island?
When I was in Oregon, we were in trek for Bachelor but got sidetracked surfing at Newport, scary waters, swell rose super quickly and the place became a huge barreling closeout, afterwards we went to the Rogue Brewery. Epic times. Shooting for Southern California next summer. I'm glad to hear you're putting your Sick Stick into some good use. Here, the summer is fun at best, if a hurricane lines up, it will fire for a week at a time and you don't need a wet suit at all, crowded but I'm from Florida, we'd say, 'shit, it's zoo'ed out'. 100+ surfers in the water type scenario, its a breeze here. Right now, water is about 60 F and falling fast, still pretty warm, In the winter, it does dip to mid/upper 30's, hood, gloves, booties, I only have a 4/3 right now, so its pretty short-lived and brutal, the waves can be perfect though, nobody out, light off shores, longer periods, my local spot, which happens to be off the NYC Subway train system holds 2-8 ft, never seen anything bigger than 8 ft though, breaks are separated by groins, that peel off on either side usually with a nice A-frame in between the groins, but it barely breaks, dismal compared to Florida or California, might even say non-existent, hard to claim the title of a surfer in LI
Old 10-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Far Rockaway?
ItchEtrigR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelin1 View Post
When I was in Oregon, we were in trek for Bachelor but got sidetracked surfing at Newport, scary waters, swell rose super quickly and the place became a huge barreling closeout, afterwards we went to the Rogue Brewery. Epic times. Shooting for Southern California next summer. I'm glad to hear you're putting your Sick Stick into some good use. Here, the summer is fun at best, if a hurricane lines up, it will fire for a week at a time and you don't need a wet suit at all, crowded but I'm from Florida, we'd say, 'shit, it's zoo'ed out'. 100+ surfers in the water type scenario, its a breeze here. Right now, water is about 60 F and falling fast, still pretty warm, In the winter, it does dip to mid/upper 30's, hood, gloves, booties, I only have a 4/3 right now, so its pretty short-lived and brutal, the waves can be perfect though, nobody out, light off shores, longer periods, my local spot, which happens to be off the NYC Subway train system holds 2-8 ft, never seen anything bigger than 8 ft though, breaks are separated by groins, that peel off on either side usually with a nice A-frame in between the groins, but it barely breaks, dismal compared to Florida or California, might even say non-existent, hard to claim the title of a surfer in LI

I went out to Pacific City to try and catch a swell last weekend, but it ended up being wide intervals and the tide swamped out the few sets that did come in. I had fun at low tide, but its definitely different out there. I never owned anything over a 3/2 and now I have a 4/3, hooded rash guard, gloves and booties. And I still managed to get chilly waiting for the sets to roll through. Haven't surfed newport but heard there are some fun waves down there. If you make it to Cali, keep going south to Mexico. I lost interest in surfing the last two years I was there due to dense crowds. Have a buddy from Nasau that loves his local waves. I think he still ended up moving to Santa Barbara. Now I get five minute rides on fresh untracked waves. Where in the PNW are you moving too?
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote