Translating Board Size - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Translating Board Size

If I were to buy a board that is supposed to be sized down
And rode it at my actual size, how would that translate?
What are the pros and cons of that?

i.e. My size is 157, buying a board that says I should get a 152 but i go with longer size, 5'10" - 165/170 LBS - Int/Adv rider

My intuition tells me that I will have all the board has to offer plus more stability at high speed and forgiveness in landing. Like the extra length will ride out in tricky situations and an extra weight/'length would be negligible

Not sure though, let me know what you think?
thelin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

The main difference is likely stiffness. I've seen the "sized down" boards and they do not have significantly more effective edge than their regular counterparts. So my guess is they're shorter, wider and stiffer.

I'd probably stick to a regular board if you want to keep it regular length... I never got the whole short board thing unless you're using it for park stuff.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

effective edge will give you a good idea how long a board rides. other than a few exceptions most of the size down marketing is fluff, partially steming from lib/gnu not making btx boards over 158 or so their first season and partially from new shapes allowing for longer effective edges
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
The main difference is likely stiffness. I've seen the "sized down" boards and they do not have significantly more effective edge than their regular counterparts. So my guess is they're shorter, wider and stiffer.

I'd probably stick to a regular board if you want to keep it regular length... I never got the whole short board thing unless you're using it for park stuff.
Some just have a blunted nose and shave off like 4cm so the 154 has the exact same eff edge as the 158. Pros are less weight in the tips for spinning and easier to handle in the park... cons? Not really sure but I've heard the effective edge really does feel the same as the 158 with no compromise. NS Proto HD is an example.
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelin1 View Post
i.e. My size is 157, buying a board that says I should get a 152 but i go with longer size, 5'10" - 165/170 LBS - Int/Adv rider

Hi Thelin,

This is a great question and we hear it every day. The most important thing in what you wrote is "my size is 157". That is where the big mistakes are made No rider has a size. The size that you will want is entirely specific to the model that you are considering, and how it was designed. The tip to tip cm size of a board will vary greatly depending on the model that you are looking at. This brings us to the all important question...what model(s) are you considering?

Stoked!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Hi Thelin,

This is a great question and we hear it every day. The most important thing in what you wrote is "my size is 157". That is where the big mistakes are made No rider has a size. The size that you will want is entirely specific to the model that you are considering, and how it was designed. The tip to tip cm size of a board will vary greatly depending on the model that you are looking at. This brings us to the all important question...what model(s) are you considering?

Stoked!
Thanks for the advice Wiredsport, I totally agree. I was considering a bunch of boards but just a moment ago, I picked up a 2012 K2 WWW 157 for $170, free ship. Didn't see the difference between the 2013 or the 2014, Thought it'll do the same thing, as long as boards don't get old sitting in plastic? I'm 5'10", 165LBS, all muscle and have a aggressive surfy carvy buttery style, likes rails, boxes, pressing, I want to progress this season on this more, as well as riding switch, I have a tendency to leave the park in search of natural rollers and features and always, always searching for waves all over the mountain to hack at, if it looks like a wave, I'm probably going to surf it, my two modes are easy flowing connections or hard charging aggro monster. They had a 142, 148W 152W and a 157. Pretty easy decision, though the 152W might have worked minus, not sure if I could have transitioned edge to edge as quick as I wanted on a wide and thought it may feel too loose and toy like with my prescribed riding style. I'll post pics when it arrives. Still have enough money to buy a 2nd more All-Mountain Freestyle, basically a stiffer deck to pair up with a 2 board quiver, what would you suggest? Thanks again
Old 10-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelin1 View Post
Thanks for the advice Wiredsport, I totally agree. I was considering a bunch of boards but just a moment ago, I picked up a 2012 K2 WWW 157 for $170, free ship. Didn't see the difference between the 2013 or the 2014, Thought it'll do the same thing, as long as boards don't get old sitting in plastic? I'm 5'10", 165LBS, all muscle and have a aggressive surfy carvy buttery style, likes rails, boxes, pressing, I want to progress this season on this more, as well as riding switch, I have a tendency to leave the park in search of natural rollers and features and always, always searching for waves all over the mountain to hack at, if it looks like a wave, I'm probably going to surf it, my two modes are easy flowing connections or hard charging aggro monster. They had a 142, 148W 152W and a 157. Pretty easy decision, though the 152W might have worked minus, not sure if I could have transitioned edge to edge as quick as I wanted on a wide and thought it may feel too loose and toy like with my prescribed riding style. I'll post pics when it arrives. Still have enough money to buy a 2nd more All-Mountain Freestyle, basically a stiffer deck to pair up with a 2 board quiver, what would you suggest? Thanks again
The WWW is a fun board and should cover you well for Jibs and Press/Butter riding. You might want to check it out and see how it suits the rest of your riding. There are so many models that fit the all mountain remainder that you are describing. Please let me know if you were considering any specific models and I will be stoked to make some suggestions from your lead.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

For the other board, narrowed down, still pretty open though
2012 NS SL (pref)
2013 Ride Buckwild
2013 Ride DH2
2013 Attack Banana or Banana Magic, more of a splurge for me, rather have the NS SL
Old 10-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What size is available in the NS?
Old 10-26-2013, 02:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

151, 155, 158