2nd Season Buying Equipment - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 01:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2nd Season Buying Equipment

I have seen people posting for a while asking for help and opiions. I figured it was my time to ask. I have a general idea of what we want but I wanted to get the general public's opinion about what might be really good or really bad.

For me (i am a little undecided)
Board: 08 Salomon Ace or 09 Salomon Ace or 09 Salomon Magnum Ace or 07 Salomon Storm SW or 08 K2 Podium
Bindings: 08 Salomon Classic or 08 Salomon C Force or 08 Burton Freestyle or 08 Burton Custom
Boots: 09 Salomon Brigade 08 Salomon Brigade or 08 Salomon Symbio

For my wife (not picky)
Board: 08 Ride Rapture
Bindings: 08 Ride EX
Boots: 08 Salomon Vigil

For my Daughter (picky)
Board: 09 Salomon Lark or 08 Burton Stigma or 09 Rome Crail
Bindings: 09 Burton Stiletto or 09 Burton Citizen or 09 Salomon Grace or 09 Flow Muse or 09 Flow Flite II
Boots: 09 Salomon Vigil or Burton Mint or 09 Burton Supreme or 09 DC Phase or 09 Vans Kira Boa

We will be buying our equipment online since prices are so much cheaper. We will also make sure to try the boots in person somewhere. I know I need a wide board with my size 12 boot but i have know idea if the 08 Salomon Ace or the 07 Salomon Storm SW are wide format, the others are for sure. Also my clothes are gray and green.

On a side now what combinatin of gear will look best with my clothes (gray jacket, Dark teal green (small plaid pattern) pants, black gloves, white googgles and I hope to get a white beanie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Equipment.jpg (101.0 KB, 136 views)
lesper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

no one? is it too complicated?
Old 12-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks snowolf (disregard the asthetic questions)
We are all beginers but my daughter and I cought on much quicker. Last year we went out 3-4 times, hopefully more this season. We don't plan on doing any tricks but would love to just have a great time down the moountain from top to bottom hopefully progressing to more difficult runs.

Me
Board:161
Boot: 12
Height: 5'-10.5"
Weight: 215

My wife
Board: 148
Boot: 10
Height: 5'-3"
Weight: 150

My Daughter
Boot: 8
Height: 5'-3.5"
Weight: 110?
Old 12-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
tands05

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesper4 View Post
Thanks snowolf (disregard the asthetic questions)
We are all beginers but my daughter and I cought on much quicker. Last year we went out 3-4 times, hopefully more this season. We don't plan on doing any tricks but would love to just have a great time down the moountain from top to bottom hopefully progressing to more difficult runs.

Me
Board:161
Boot: 12
Height: 5'-10.5"
Weight: 215

My wife
Boot: 10
Height: 5'-3"
Weight: 150

My Daughter
Boot: 8
Height: 5'-3.5"
Weight: 110?
It seems the dughters board may be a little long..or wifes a little short...hard to say but probably no big deal.

For your wife...the Ride Rapture seems like a decent choice...Also consider Burton Feather, and 5150 Empress...

Daughter consider the same...JMO

On yours...I dont know much about the Salomon Boards
K2 Podium is alright...Consider the Never Summer Sytem line

Bindings are a little like boots...Everyone is different..Some prefer Higher backs then other etc...
Old 12-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions, I have never heard of "never summer" except for on the forum (only good impressions) nor have I seen any places on line carry them. I would like to stay away from 5150 as they are said to be junk and I am not one to buy that. Last year we rented Sims gear and thought it was nice for a rental, the boots were high and leaned forward but I saw no problems with it. The few salomon we have tried seemed even more comfortable (little less upright) in boots.

I have encourged my daughter to like the feather but she is obessed with punk style and doesnt like the looks, go figure.

I can see that you are suggesting boards based on weight but I thought the board was supposed to reach your chin or there abouts base on height? I guess it works both ways.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
tands05

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesper4 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I have never heard of "never summer" except for on the forum (only good impressions) nor have I seen any places on line carry them. I would like to stay away from 5150 as they are said to be junk and I am not one to buy that. Last year we rented Sims gear and thought it was nice for a rental, the boots were high and leaned forward but I saw no problems with it. The few salomon we have tried seemed even more comfortable (little less upright) in boots.

I have encourged my daughter to like the feather but she is obessed with punk style and doesnt like the looks, go figure.

I can see that you are suggesting boards based on weight but I thought the board was supposed to reach your chin or there abouts base on height? I guess it works both ways.
Weight is a much bigger factor than height when choosing a board...I worry with your daughter only wieghing One bill that she may need a smaller board with more flex
Old 12-13-2008, 01:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

I would think smaller would have less flex, I am going to ask her weight this week.

For me possibly
evo outlet | Never Summer Revolver White (Wide) Snowboard 2008 : Snowboards

for my daughter possibly
evo outlet | Never Summer Evo (White) Snowboard 2008 : Snowboards
evo outlet | Never Summer Pandora (Black) Snowboard - Women's 2008 : Snowboards
Old 12-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Is it ok to get mens bindings for my wife and daughter or should I stick with the right genders for everything.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've heard that women's bindings are built for different shaped calves and that men's bindings can be painful for women to use. No personal experience, obviously, but might be worth checking out.
Flick Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

i dont believe that stuff about female and male specific....my sister rides a male board with female bindings and if i could have got her male bindings i would have...also i have her bindings in the males...the ride lx...same thing different colors....also my sister is about 100 pounds and rides a 145 its all about the specs of the board
coldblood92 is offline   Reply With Quote