Sharpening edges that came beveled. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
HappyKillmore

Default Sharpening edges that came beveled.

I want to sharpen my brother's Hatchet and it comes with a 2 degree bevel and I want to keep that bevel. So would I set my file to 2 degrees or would that add to the bevel and make it 4 degree. As far as the side edge goes, I'd assume they kept the edge as a whole a 90% angle so that would mean I woud do a 2 degree angle here, right?

Another small thing I am confused about is I always thought you got out the burrs with a gummi, did the actual sharpening with a file and guide, then finish it off with a diamond stone. But I was reading on RaceWax, where I want to buy my tools, and they said after you get your edges set to the degrees you want with the file then all you have to do is put the diamond stone in the guide to sharpen. They said if you continued to use the file you would wear away your edges. that dosn't make sense to me because I always thought the diamond was to polish the edge off so to speak.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by HappyKillmore; 12-11-2008 at 11:15 AM. Reason: left out question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Set it to 2 degrees. Don't worry about wearing away your edges. If you're not constantly sharpening, you can just use the file.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
abe_froman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
I want to sharpen my brother's Hatchet and it comes with a 2 degree bevel and I want to keep that bevel. So would I set my file to 2 degrees or would that add to the bevel and make it 4 degree. As far as the side edge goes, I'd assume they kept the edge as a whole a 90% angle so that would mean I woud do a 2 degree angle here, right?

Another small thing I am confused about is I always thought you got out the burrs with a gummi, did the actual sharpening with a file and guide, then finish it off with a diamond stone. But I was reading on RaceWax, where I want to buy my tools, and they said after you get your edges set to the degrees you want with the file then all you have to do is put the diamond stone in the guide to sharpen. They said if you continued to use the file you would wear away your edges. that dosn't make sense to me because I always thought the diamond was to polish the edge off so to speak.

Thanks for the help
what they are saying is use the diamond stone to clean up and polish the finish left by the file. the file does the sharpening as you develop or maintain the bevel. files can leave a pretty rough (and sharp) finish, especially if you are really cranking out some big burrs. Then you follow-up with the diamond to clean it up and polish it. you can also follow the diamond with a white ceramic stone or a black arkansas stone (or both) if you want to get really serious (anal).

ims, the black arkansas is a wet stone (use water) and the ceramic white is a dry stone.

they are right that constantly hammering out the base side (bevel) of the edge will eventually result in wearing down the edge. i have an old never summer that i rode while i worked in a repair shop that is proof... both the base and edges are super thin (we had a stone grinder that i utilized a bit too frequently!).

about the outside (sidewall side) of your edges... those you DO NOT want to try and bevel. they should remain flat while the base side of the edge should have the bevel. you want to talk about wrecking yourself from catching edges, throw a bevel on the outside of your edge. if your pissed at your bro do that.

lastly, many people dont realize how important it is to stone grind your base a couple times a season, or more if you ride a ton. snowboards naturally develop a convex base from the torsion related to going from edge to edge while you are turning. you can check this by laying a true straight edge across the board and hold it up to the light... you will likely see space between the straight edge and your base towards the edges while the middle is still in contact with the straight edge.

the bevel is made more severe if your base isnt flat, making your board sloppy/squirrely and more difficult to hold an edge while haulin ass. it also doesnt engage the edge as easily going from edge to edge.

just some shit to consider...

edit... forgot... the gummi stone is for nothing other than de-tuning edges... if your are using it to de-burr the length of the board you are essentially detuning your entire board. not so good.

Last edited by abe_froman; 12-11-2008 at 05:02 PM.