Effect of Board (Tip/Tail/Waist) Width on Riding - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Effect of Board (Tip/Tail/Waist) Width on Riding

Heyyo,

I wanted to ask how you feel that waist width affects your ride.

For example, how does waist width affect

Turning/Carving
Catchiness
Straightlining Stability
Chatter
Landings

When you look at a board's width specs and you see it's pretty wide or pretty narrow, what does that tell you about how the board will ride?

Cheers!
keel_bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't think the width really makes much difference overall. The only time it will is if you are wide board with smallish feet, then turns will be harder to initiate and feel awkward. If you have big feet riding a regular board your feet will dig into the snow on carves. I could be wrong, but I don't think the width has much to do with anything else you listed.
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

A wider board will typically float a little better in the soft stuff. That's why you will see a more drawn out nose in most powder boards. Narrower boards will be a little more agile from edge to edge.

And the effect of width on the things you listed will depend on foot size compared to the board width.
Bparmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

This one has WiredSport written all over it.

Anyhow, here's my take until he shows up. Waist width is probably one of the least useful measurements typically provided by manufacturers. I believe it is primarily intended to be an indication of what foot size the board will accommodate, but it is far from optimal for that since it is measured at the middle of the board, not where you stand. It seems it would be far more logical to provide width at each center set of binding mounts, but tradition remains. Things like stance width, sidecut, binding and boot dimensions, even riding style, all affect foot size/board compatibility. Waist width itself tells you none of the things you mentioned. The only riding characteristics even suggested by waist width are what Rookie and Bparmz stated, narrower is generally easier turning/quicker edge-to-edge, and wider floats better in pow. Even that generalization is based on all other factors being equal (i.e. comparing a wide vs regular version of the same board).

EDIT: Oops, I just re-read OP's post and realized I missed the title. Factoring in tip/tail width does tell a little bit more and can affect turning/carving/straightlining, but I'm too lazy now to jump into that one so I'll defer to others.

Last edited by herzogone; 10-23-2013 at 11:01 PM.
herzogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Waist width makes a huge difference. Most guys who have been riding forever know exactly what side cut, waist width, length, and flex they prefer. I won't ride a board that doesn't fit my personal specs. I can of course but there are so few days on the mountain that I just won't. I store up on boards that I know fall right in my wheel house, just like a pro tennis player loads up on racquets. And I have boards made to my specs which is very reasonable today.

I love narrow waisted boards (UnInc, older Customs, etc) for all of my riding, park, pipe, and free riding. They are super responsive, carvey out on the hill, great in the pipe, and nimble in the park. The only minor drawback might be on jump landings (and powder obviously) but that's marginal and far outweighed by the benefits. I'm 6' with size 10 boot and love a 25.0 waist width, regular camber. Not a lot of those boards out there in the 158 range. All the Lib stuff and a number of other brands are more in the 25.2 range which is a huge difference in my riding pleasure.

I always check waist width first before looking at a board.

Last edited by tonicusa; 10-23-2013 at 11:07 PM.
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by keel_bright View Post
Heyyo,

I wanted to ask how you feel that waist width affects your ride.

For example, how does waist width affect

Turning/Carving
Catchiness
Straightlining Stability
Chatter
Landings

When you look at a board's width specs and you see it's pretty wide or pretty narrow, what does that tell you about how the board will ride?

Cheers!
Its kind of a noob question...just read, research and ride more....you need to determine your style and the terrain/conditions that you ride....the hill makes the rider. OP idk where you ride...but a board made for pnw is going to be different than one made for EC...and such.

tip and tail width...really length is about design and snow conditions...thus shovel, pintail, swallow tail, short tail, taper, rock/flat/cam profiles

turning and carving... is about radius, length and torsional flex...also about turn types and skill

waist tends to determine edge to edge response or quickness...but also dependent on foot/boot size.

catchiness...is mostly about skill and is influenced by profile design.

straight line stability.... is about stiffness, length and profile design, i.e., camber

chatter...is about speed and longitudinal flexibility

landing...is about approach and take off...mostly skill

as you develop experience, skill and style...you will figure out your preferences...but it also depends on the terrain and snow conditions...thus the QUIVER

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 10-24-2013 at 12:10 AM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonicusa View Post
Waist width makes a huge difference. Most guys who have been riding forever know exactly what side cut, waist width, length, and flex they prefer. I won't ride a board that doesn't fit my personal specs. I can of course but there are so few days on the mountain that I just won't. I store up on boards that I know fall right in my wheel house, just like a pro tennis player loads up on racquets. And I have boards made to my specs which is very reasonable today.

I love narrow waisted boards (UnInc, older Customs, etc) for all of my riding, park, pipe, and free riding. They are super responsive, carvey out on the hill, great in the pipe, and nimble in the park. The only minor drawback might be on jump landings (and powder obviously) but that's marginal and far outweighed by the benefits. I'm 6' with size 10 boot and love a 25.0 waist width, regular camber. Not a lot of those boards out there in the 158 range. All the Lib stuff and a number of other brands are more in the 25.2 range which is a huge difference in my riding pleasure.

I always check waist width first before looking at a board.
I don't think this really comes into play for the average rider. I'm sure it does for the expert who knows what's out there and knows exactly what he wants (like you), but most of us probably won't notice subtle differences.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The only thing I use waist width for is heel and toe over hang. Maybe I need to be worried. But that is the only affect it has on me. Now if we were talking side cut. Hmmm different story.
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery2many View Post
The only thing I use waist width for is heel and toe over hang. Maybe I need to be worried. But that is the only affect it has on me. Now if we were talking side cut. Hmmm different story.
Me too.

10 chars
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery2many View Post
+1. Same here