Snowboard advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Snowboard advice

Hi, I am a newer snowboarder and am lookin at getting a board. I am looking at buying it used. I was wondering what board would be right for me. I want a good board for jumping, tricks, jibbing and switches but also good for just racing down the hills with friends, on ice, and carving. Would i want like a all mountain board? For groomed trails, tricks, and high speeds? I was looking at a 2008 burton clash would this board be good? And is a 2008 a little too old? I was also looking at somethin like a burton custom flying v? I have looked at mainly burton, ride, lib tech, and k2 boards what boards woul you suggest be best for me? What years should I look for, i have looked at some newer boards around 2012 as well. I need about a 152, I am about 130 lbs and 5'8"

Thank you very much
Ryan
ryangli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Arbor Westmark should fit the bill. Good all mountain board and it has a special sidecut (griptech) to help with traction which is nice for riding in ice. Skate Banana might work also which has magnetraction and so do all Gnu boards. I ride a K2 Parkstar which fits your style also. It doesn't have a special sidecut but personally I haven't had a problem with losing grip. Maybe check out Yes The Greats. Maybe a NeverSummer Evo. There are lots of options.
Rookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

how much $ and where do you live
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie09 View Post
Arbor Westmark should fit the bill. Good all mountain board and it has a special sidecut (griptech) to help with traction which is nice for riding in ice. Skate Banana might work also which has magnetraction and so do all Gnu boards. I ride a K2 Parkstar which fits your style also. It doesn't have a special sidecut but personally I haven't had a problem with losing grip. Maybe check out Yes The Greats. Maybe a NeverSummer Evo. There are lots of options.
Ok thank you very much for the help
Old 10-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
how much $ and where do you live
I am located in Wisconsin about 45 min from Illinois border and my price will vary depending on board and what come with it. I would like to spend around 300 or 350. Mainly just depends. Why do u have a board for sale?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You're asking about an 08 clash, hard to tell you if its a good deal if we don't know the price. I'd say you can do better unless it's $50. Don't over think it, you're a new boarder with big ideas. Go with any quality twin of medium stiffness for your first one.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
You're asking about an 08 clash, hard to tell you if its a good deal if we don't know the price. I'd say you can do better unless it's $50. Don't over think it, you're a new boarder with big ideas. Go with any quality twin of medium stiffness for your first one.
Ok thank you and I will diffidently take your advice and have a broader search. the clash board and bindings were about $300. Also was looking at a 2012 burton custom flying v for about $500 with bindings boots and board. Would that be a good deal? Thank you very much for the advice!
Old 10-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangli View Post
Ok thank you and I will diffidently take your advice and have a broader search. the clash board and bindings were about $300. Also was looking at a 2012 burton custom flying v for about $500 with bindings boots and board. Would that be a good deal? Thank you very much for the advice!
Buy the boots seperately. Get the best fitting ones. Try on many pairs, and buy them new.

Then you could get something like a burton process or custom in camber, good all around choices for your area. I think that lightly used stuff from last year should cost you no more than 50 per cent of list, and price goes down from there based on age and condition.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
Buy the boots seperately. Get the best fitting ones. Try on many pairs, and buy them new.

Then you could get something like a burton process or custom in camber, good all around choices for your area. I think that lightly used stuff from last year should cost you no more than 50 per cent of list, and price goes down from there based on age and condition.
Ok thank u very much will I want to get new bindings as well? And for goggles I was going to go without them but I here that my face will be freezing and they r actually nice would just like a cheeper $30 pair work fine?
Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

With goggles there is not a whole shit ton of difference between cheap ones and expensive ones. Better lens and materials on higher end ones of course. I doubt you'll notice right away. Go with the $30 ones.

Definitely get good fitting boots. That should be the number one priority with your kit. If the boots with that Burton package are a good fit then sure do it. You are probably not going to use them for all that long anyway. New rider, figuring out what you like and all. That is just the reality. They should be fine for one or two seasons depending on how much you go. Just remember your day will be much better with happy feet.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote