How's this setup for a first board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
MaPolley07

Default How's this setup for a first board?

I've been snowboarding a few times now, have about 5 or 6 10 hour days under my belt between 7 Springs in PA and Perfect North in Indiana. I've always rented boards before, but I am planning on going to Perfect North a few times over Christmas break and next semester, and am going to 7 Springs again for Spring Break or President's Day weekend.

I figure it's almost cheaper to just buy a board than it is to rent one, so I'm looking at this setup. I'm a fatass, 5'9" and about 240lb, size 11 boot So how does this sound for a first setup?

M3 Talon 163cm 2006 model

2007 Flow Flite 3 bindings

And I will be getting a pair of size 11 32 boots from a friend that he only used for 1/2 a season. I will probably upgrade boots next season, but I'm on a super-tight college student budget

Also, with those bindings, I know a size 11 boot is borderline between Large and XL, anyone know which size I should buy? I'm thinking XL so if I buy a bigger boot I'd have more room to expand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
MaPolley07

Forgot to mention, I can aready turn, link turns and ride sufficintly enough to have a good time, this season I will be working on getting more comfortable with speed and hitting smaller jumps, varied terrain (moguls, steep grades, etc.) so I just need a board that will work for a few seasons and be decent for all mountain/freeride type riding, and will be easy to progress with
Old 12-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
kyouness

not sure about the board but don't get flow bindings unless you're willing to shell out the cash for the higher end ones. you'd be better off with a traditional binding system.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
MaPolley07

I really want to go with the flow system, haven't heard anything particularly bad about the Flite 3 binding.

Any other bindings I should consider? looking to spend less than 75 or so if possible. I won't be supe hard on my bindings, and will probably upgrade within the next 2 seasons. I need a setup to last me for about 10 days of riding this year and probably the same next season
Old 12-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
alasdairm

^ how do you find the flow bindings compare to regular straps? are they noticably more solid/responsive/whatever?

alasdair
Old 12-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You're borderline on needing a wide board and from the stats I saw on this board it's something like 24.3 waist width which is definitely narrow. You may want to consider getting a different ride.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
MaPolley07

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasdairm View Post
^ how do you find the flow bindings compare to regular straps? are they noticably more solid/responsive/whatever?

alasdair
I've never used them before, I just want the convenience of the Flow bindings, plus the lower probability of pressure points on the ankle and toe
Old 12-12-2008, 12:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
MaPolley07

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution View Post
You're borderline on needing a wide board and from the stats I saw on this board it's something like 24.3 waist width which is definitely narrow. You may want to consider getting a different ride.
I will try and look for a different board. My friend has a Burton Custom (154 maybe?) with the boots I'm getting from him, which has a similar waist width and he has no boot drag problems. I don't think boot drag will be an issue, but do you have any other suggestions as far as boards go? I'm looking to spend less than $150 since I probably will only have this setup for 2 seasons or so, then upgrade
Old 12-12-2008, 08:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The thing is this... with a size 11 you should be fine but bordering on needing a wider board. If you happen to end up with a bigger boot in the future you may run into some issues. Depending on the binding angles you use, you should be able to get away with it though.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Jarriq

Even if you cant find a wider board for what you want to pay, you can still get the smaller one, and if you have problems with overhang just pick up some Palmer power links, or Burton binding risers.