New (to me) board/ bindings question - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

You said technically, you "needed" a wide board based on your boot size. But you didn't mention what that size was. Also, your binding agles will play some part in determining wide vs reg. as well.

Your statement about riding a reg. width board and loving it,..
As a noob buying my first board, salesman told me I needed a wide. Because I was getting size 11 boots. He was wrong!!!

I rode that wide board for almost two seasons. I learned how to ride, link my turns, ride switch, and even how to butter. All on a wide, cambered board. Then I won a Rome Garage Rocker159 reg. width on this forum. It felt like going from driving a big rig to driving a sports car. It was quicker edge to edge when turning. Easier to spin, press, butter, etc.

chances are. Unless you have size 12+ gunboats, or if your a size 11 but you ride with like a straight across the waist, +/- 8 angle or less on your bindings, you probably didn't need a wide deck.

I still ride my wide board but compared to my two other reg. width rides, it feels slow and heavy. It takes more effort to ride, I need way more fwd lean in my highbacks to get it feeling good going edge to edge.

If any of this sounds familiar, you probably don't need a wide board either. (I will reserve final judgment on that until you post what size boot you wear. )

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
chomps1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Mat

yes my boots are size 13 but its a very rare occurance with the angle I have my bindings that my heels or toes drag. Seems like the salesman at the big stores that have maybe rode five times in their life say a wide board but the guys at the little shops who are at the mountain numerous times per week say that it really doesn't matter
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomps1211 View Post

I rode that wide board for almost two seasons. I learned how to ride, link my turns, ride switch, and even how to butter. All on a wide, cambered board. Then I won a Rome Garage Rocker159 reg. width on this forum. It felt like going from driving a big rig to driving a sports car. It was quicker edge to edge when turning. Easier to spin, press, butter, etc.
Fee sure, I find that when I switch back and forth between a powder oriented board (burton Sherlock) and a fairly narrow cambered board the edge to edge speed is waaaay faster, almost trips me up at first.
Lamps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
Fee sure, I find that when I switch back and forth between a powder oriented board (burton Sherlock) and a fairly narrow cambered board the edge to edge speed is waaaay faster, almost trips me up at first.
Yup! Same here. Edge to edge transitions were so much quicker with so much less effort, it almost felt squirrely! Only took a little getting used too tho, a couple runs maybe, but the difference in my riding was immediately positive!

...and Mat, size 13's????

Yeah, just about any salesperson you would run across is going to recommend, hell, probably insist that you need a wide board. (...especially if they are the weekend warrior, 1 week a year types.)

As you can tell from the information found here on SBF, It's only from reading various posts from the many many experienced riders we have contributing, that I was even made aware that it's possible for Sasquatch's such as yourself to maybe be able to ride reg. width boards. Although, I would think with canoes like you got, you might just be approaching the upper limit of that being a possibility. Even with adjusting stance and binding angles & whatnot! I could be wrong, and if I am, I'm sure someone will smack me down and provide the actual 411 on that!

Either way, enjoy your new (to you) board! hope you get lots of ride time on it!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
Old 10-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

not to deviate to much from the original question. My 1st new board was a 159W and I loved the stability it gave me as I was progressing and learning. I have now switched to a shorter reg. board and as Chomps said it's like going from a big truck to a low nimble sports car.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Mat

Yeah last year I made it up at least 25 times (25 is where I lost count, tried boarding out, fell in love) THe board I benched my wide board for was my brothers regular 157, I loved that it didn't feel like I was trying to maneuver a boat through a maze. I guess I will just have to try it out and if it doesn't work its a good excuse to get a brand new one
Old 10-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

...and remember, not all wide boards are the same either. Some are wider, some narrower than others. Plus nowadays there are a fair number of "mid" wide boards to choose from as well. Might be a good compromise for you when u go to buy a new deck.

If you ride or plan to visit a decent sized resort, try and demo as many diff. size, width, profile, boards as you can. No amount of forum feedback and excellent advice can take the place of actually riding the boards to see how they feel to you!

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15
Old 10-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mat

Yeah I am either going to go to Jackson Hole or Colorado next year to board so maybe some demos there... I appreciate the info I honestly didn't know there was a mid size. Any particulars that you know of for when Im shopping around?
Old 10-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Not quite reformed yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
Yeah I am either going to go to Jackson Hole or Colorado next year to board so maybe some demos there... I appreciate the info I honestly didn't know there was a mid size. Any particulars that you know of for when Im shopping around?
Can't think of many off the top of my head. I know Arbor makes a mid wide. (My wide deck is an 2010/11 Arbor.) If you go to the buyers guide on EVO.com, there's a link for shopping mid wide boards. It brings up quite a few. At least it's a starting point for what brands to look at. Also, Wiredsport has some really good buyers/sizing/board-boot fitting/tech explanation guides. I'm sure they also have some mid wides to offer. Definitely worth a look!

You should also make sure you check the waist width on any boards spec sheet. As what some are calling a mid wide, might be considered a reg. width in some other manufacturers board, or vise versa! The variation on board specs from co. to co. is perplexing to say the very least in the beginning. No real standardization in those regards.

2012/13 (48) days out!
2013/14 (44) days out!
2014/15