need advice on some goggles - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default need advice on some goggles

i need to get some goggles, but this will be my first pair so i dont know too much about them. is there anything i shoulkd look for in particular, and are there any out there i can swap out clear and tinted lenses? any suggestions
latemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
citizengirl

Clear lenses are really not a very good idea. You need good UV protection, dual lenses, anti-fog if you like to see. Really good goggles have lots of vents! Goggles with spherical lenses are expensive but do not distort the landscape and you have a larger range of vision. The type of lense that you need also depends on where you're riding.
A good site with info Fogdog Sports

Everyone has a different opinion on different goggles but it's a good idea to ask others that have tried them out.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanx...what about nite time tho....thats why i was thinking some clear 1s
latemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
citizengirl

Ooh I don't know sorry. I don't ride at night.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by latemp View Post
thanx...what about nite time tho....thats why i was thinking some clear 1s
get clear or yellow for night riding. clear is better. and avoid mirrored lesnes on foggy or even cloudier days, it limits your ability to see the texture of the snow.
bakesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
AAA

Also, try before you buy. What fits great on one, fits lousy on another. Some goggles won't work with some helmets. Also, look for a pair with a wide field of view. I've found the exterior size of the lense is not neccessarily an indicator of this. Often, the inside perimeter of the lense is filled with foam or plastic, which blocks peripheral view. High-vis yellow, light rose, and pale orange are good choices for flat light. Stick with the lighter shades if you're going to ride at night. I'm not a fan of clear lenses, even for night riding. I like a some color to help provide a little more contrast. I'm in the market for a new pair as well, and have tried several pairs on. Leaning right now towards Smith Prodigy's. They fit my big head, work with my helmet, have a nice wide field of view, and have a great range of lenses to choose from.
AAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
citizengirl

Also look for durability. If your like me *cough* gone through 3 pairs of Oakleys *cough* throw down some cash and get good ones.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
BCsnowboardchik

Another thing to think about, Venting. You gonna sweat a bit while riding or learning to ride (I assume you're new to the sport if just buying gogs)... venting is really important. I've bought $200 gogs (canadian ;P) that don't have enough venting for me when I ride hard or am walking and the fog up like mad.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
BCsnowboardchik

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizengirl View Post
Clear lenses are really not a very good idea. You need good UV protection, dual lenses, anti-fog if you like to see. Really good goggles have lots of vents! Goggles with spherical lenses are expensive but do not distort the landscape and you have a larger range of vision. The type of lense that you need also depends on where you're riding.
A good site with info Fogdog Sports

Everyone has a different opinion on different goggles but it's a good idea to ask others that have tried them out.
Good link there I think I'll take some of that advice for my next pair
Old 12-13-2008, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
citizengirl

Here's another really awesome site (but each link in the info bar on the left opens a new window) he's a serious boarding guru.

SNOWBOARDING MASTER.COM Everything You want to Know about SNOWBOARDING Now!

This is what I do all day instead of homework (who pays to actually go to college right? ha ha)