plz help out a beginner selecting a board! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
arincoc

Default plz help out a beginner selecting a board!

So from what I've learned through research,
it's better for a beginner to ride a board that's easy to maneuver, control, and turn - which translate into choosing a board that's more flexible and shorter. It is my understanding that freestyle boards offer higher flexibility and run shorter in length than all-mountain boards. However, boards that are classified as beginner boards are all all-mountain boards.
So I'm confused.

Here's my thing.
I'm a woman/ 5'4"/ size 6.5/ 105 lbs. w/ clothes on, and my legs aren't that strong.
I just started boarding and don't even know how to turn - hopefully will learn w/ a new board I get.
I think I will be mostly staying on trails and don't do jumps.

Looks like to me that I need a freestyle board for more control, but need an all-mountain board for my riding style because freestyle boards are unstable anywhere but park?

I am currently looking at two all-mountain boards
- 2008 Rossignol Sonar 143
- 2008 Forum Aura 143
and three freestyle boards
- 2008 Rome Detail 140
- 2008 Nitro Mystique 142
- 2008 Never Summer Pandora 140 or 143

Not sure if it matters if I get freestyle boards
Not sure if 143 would be too long/heavy to control
Not sure if 140 can hold my weight (tried looking at max weight for each board but can't quite figure out on my own)

Will appreciate all your wisdom and help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
BCsnowboardchik

Quote:
Originally Posted by arincoc View Post
So from what I've learned through research,
it's better for a beginner to ride a board that's easy to maneuver, control, and turn - which translate into choosing a board that's more flexible and shorter. It is my understanding that freestyle boards offer higher flexibility and run shorter in length than all-mountain boards. However, boards that are classified as beginner boards are all all-mountain boards.
So I'm confused.

Here's my thing.
I'm a woman/ 5'4"/ size 6.5/ 105 lbs. w/ clothes on, and my legs aren't that strong.
I just started boarding and don't even know how to turn - hopefully will learn w/ a new board I get.
I think I will be mostly staying on trails and don't do jumps.

Looks like to me that I need a freestyle board for more control, but need an all-mountain board for my riding style because freestyle boards are unstable anywhere but park?

I am currently looking at two all-mountain boards
- 2008 Rossignol Sonar 143
- 2008 Forum Aura 143
and three freestyle boards
- 2008 Rome Detail 140
- 2008 Nitro Mystique 142
- 2008 Never Summer Pandora 140 or 143

Not sure if it matters if I get freestyle boards
Not sure if 143 would be too long/heavy to control
Not sure if 140 can hold my weight (tried looking at max weight for each board but can't quite figure out on my own)

Will appreciate all your wisdom and help!

Length is far less important then it is made out to be at least when learning. I can rock a tiny board and still go fast. The only time a too short board will really hinder you is 1) keeping an edge at high speed 2) Powder.

I rode a ridiculously small board for my weight when I was learning, when I didn't know any better. Then for years I rode a twin freestyle board over everything, pow chop moguls you name it.

Alternately, you can easily ride an all mountain board in the park.

At your weight, 143 would be just fine. 140 is a bit short I'd think but honestly it won't matter.

You've made some really solid choices there and I think any of those boards would do the trick... however the Rome Detail I believe is a jib board. I think from those the Neversummer is the best all around value.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
steiner

if you are a complete beginner (not know how to turn kinda puts you in that category) than in all honesty it will not matter what board you ride. You are gonna have to learn how to snowboard for yourself, the board isnt going to do it for you. That being said, i am not to most learned on female boards but from what my ex and my buddies girlfriend say, the never summer and the nitro are pretty hot boards. And being a brand new boarder, i would recommend the 140 which should be fine for you at 105 lbs. 143 wouldnt be bad either but the 140 will be easier for you to turn since it is shorter.

now as far as learning how to snowboard, the number 1 thing that holds anyone back is fear. it is very difficult to turn at a snails pace. I have helped quite a few people learn how to snowboard and you will find that biggest advancements are made when you start moving with a little bit of speed. I am not saying go fast by any means (and stay on those powdery trails if you are afraid of falling). The momentum is needed to turn your board. Other thing to remember is its kinda hard to fall over strait forward or backwards at a learning level. Lean forward and use your back leg almost as a boat uses a rudder (best metaphor i could come up with). Keep your weight on your front leg and steer with your back leg. when you start gaining more confidence you can redistribute your weight more comfortably.

hope that helps and good luck tearing it up this year