Freeride boot Recommendations - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 29
Default Freeride boot Recommendations

It is time to give up on my first ever snowboard boots, the Vans Hi Standard are just to soft for the type of boarding I enjoy. I enjoy free ride boarding and I am looking for some suggestions on my next boot.

I live in London so the selection is not huge and the prices ante crazy expensive.

I have narrowed my search down to the following:

Nike Kaiju
32 TM
Burton Ion
Burton Ambush

I am looking for a stiffer boot. My experience level is intermediate.

These boots will probably be matched with Burton Cartels and the YES The Greats board.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
KRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 209
Default

Ride Insano and Salamon Malamute
blackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 541
Default

Whatever fits best. Stiffness doesn't seem to have a huge effect on my riding. As long as they aren't noodley boots, I'm good to go.
__________________
Bataleon Airobic, Ptex Iron
I need a name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I need a name View Post
Whatever fits best. Stiffness doesn't seem to have a huge effect on my riding. As long as they aren't noodley boots, I'm good to go.
Thanks

Will try out the boots mentioned.
KRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 184
Default

Ions and TM2's are both great med-stiff boots. Been riding the Ions for about 2 years now and they are awesome. I wasn't so stoked on them at first, but we eventually began a harmonious relationship once they packed out to my wide forefoot.

They have softened up a bit, but just enough to appease my freestyle urges. I wouldn't wear them on a park day, but they will do just fine on a jump line. Lacing system is money. You can adjust your lower and upper tensions strapped in. Quality and durability are great.

TM2 are just about identical flex. A less cushy feel than the Ion. A bit wider in the toe box as well. I was torn between the two a couple yrs ago, but eventually went with the Ions. If I can't find a really good deal on another pair of Ions I will most likely get some TM2s next time I need boots. Can't go wrong either way.

PS: No need to have the Ions heat molded. Burton's "out of the box" feature works good enough to reduce a miserable break in. They will change quite a bit over time though.
Fergatron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I live in London so the selection is not huge and the prices ante crazy expensive.
When you say London, you talking England or Ontario? that brings me to my second question:

Where are you freeriding? I ask this because freeride does not equal all-mountain.

In general freeride is more off-piste, trees, steeps, variable terrain.

All-mountain is just that, park, on-piste, off-piste.

Generally freeriders tend to like stiffer boots, like the above mentioned Malamutes, the Burton Driver X, etc. But the advice above to try everything on and go with what fits best is probably the best advice.

FWIW, I went from '90s Vans Shaun Palmer Signature Series, to Burton Serows, to Burton Driver Xs (currently on my second pair). I loves me the stiff boots!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss
 
neni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Swiss Alps
Posts: 2,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
When you say London, you talking England or Ontario? that brings me to my second question:
When you say Ontario, you talking California, Oregon, Ohio, New York, Wisconsin, Iowa, Utah, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Oklahoma, Kansas, Indiana, or Peru? (I reckon Ontario Ohio, since it's only 140km away from London Ohio )


+1 on the Ride Insano, if you like Boa
__________________
Jones Flagship 158, Ride Farah 153, Jones Solution wmn 156, Rad Air Jewel 159.5, Jones Mothership 156
Ride Fame, Burton Escapade, Spark Afterburner

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale

Last edited by neni; 03-06-2014 at 04:53 PM.
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
KIRKRIDER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
It is time to give up on my first ever snowboard boots, the Vans Hi Standard are just to soft for the type of boarding I enjoy. I enjoy free ride boarding and I am looking for some suggestions on my next boot.

I live in London so the selection is not huge and the prices ante crazy expensive.

I have narrowed my search down to the following:

Nike Kaiju
32 TM
Burton Ion
Burton Ambush

I am looking for a stiffer boot. My experience level is intermediate.

These boots will probably be matched with Burton Cartels and the YES The Greats board.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

you forgot the Burton Driver X. Very stiff. with removable ( stiffer) inserts.
__________________
2013/14 -12- Kirkwood days
Arbor A-Frame 158 2009-10
Jeremy Jones Hovercraft 156, 2011/12
Burton Driver-X
K2-Cinch-CTX
Subaru WRX 06
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 29
Default

I like in London UK but snowboard at panorama BC Canada.

I enjoy (not very good) the moguls and learning the back country stuff. Still new but just wanted a much stiffer boot than the Vans lol.

Thanks for all the help. The Ions are not on sale and are retailing around $400.
KRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
neachdainn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
I like in London UK but snowboard at panorama BC Canada.



I enjoy (not very good) the moguls and learning the back country stuff. Still new but just wanted a much stiffer boot than the Vans lol.



Thanks for all the help. The Ions are not on sale and are retailing around $400.

Enjoy... MOGULS?!???

You're smoking some bad granola, buddy.
neachdainn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums