Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boots (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boots/)
-   -   Burton Ruler vs Ambush vs Ion (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boots/140530-burton-ruler-vs-ambush-vs-ion.html)

Tranceaddict 05-22-2014 05:16 AM

Burton Ruler vs Ambush vs Ion
 
I just got into snowboarding but am a quick study. After three sessions I was already hitting black diamonds at my local resorts. I used only rentals before. I just bought a 2014 Burton Custom cambered 163cm board and large Cartel Restricted EST bindings. I just now need a pair of boots. I will be mostly riding All mountain with maybe some jumps and half pipe down the road.

Out of those boots I can get the Ruler and Ambush for about $170CAN and the IONs for around $320. Are the IONs worth the extra money? Will the Ambush be too soft? Are the Rulers inferior in build quality? Any personal input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Lamps 05-22-2014 11:51 AM

This is really a personal preference thing - any of those could be a good match for your setup.

I have had several pairs of Ions, really like them. If money is at all an issue then I'd say go with rulers, which was my first boot, I prefer the stiffer Ion, but at half the price it's hard to say the ion is worth double, especially if you're still learning.

My view is that boots wear out after 40-50 days so keep that in mind, if you're on the hill a lot you'll be buying another pair each season. Others keep their boots longer, again it's a preference thing.

Jason913 05-22-2014 03:41 PM

i like my rulers. 15 days on them- comfortable, seem to be well made, good lacing system... mid stiff

Tranceaddict 05-22-2014 10:43 PM

I was leaning towards the rulers but thought that the lower liner number might make them inferior. Money is not a big issue but I don't want to waste it either, it has to be justified.

ridinbend 05-22-2014 11:29 PM

97 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tranceaddict (Post 1718465)
I was leaning towards the rulers but thought that the lower liner number might make them inferior. Money is not a big issue but I don't want to waste it either, it has to be justified.

Buy the Ions. With a big camber board you will want stiff boots to increase responsiveness.

Jason 05-23-2014 04:50 PM

Any reason you didn't included Burton Imperial in your list?

Tranceaddict 05-23-2014 06:41 PM

I would love the Imperial, it was my number one choice, but unfortunately I cannot find it anywhere in Canada in my 11.5 size.

davidj 05-24-2014 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason913 (Post 1718129)
i like my rulers. 15 days on them- comfortable, seem to be well made, good lacing system... mid stiff

^^^ this... and I've got 60+ days on them. Not saying they're the best (I don't have exp with a lot of different boots) but all mountain/freeriding is no issue if paired with the right bindings. Heel hold is still what it was when brand new. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jdang 10-07-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamps (Post 1717938)
This is really a personal preference thing - any of those could be a good match for your setup.

I have had several pairs of Ions, really like them. If money is at all an issue then I'd say go with rulers, which was my first boot, I prefer the stiffer Ion, but at half the price it's hard to say the ion is worth double, especially if you're still learning.

My view is that boots wear out after 40-50 days so keep that in mind, if you're on the hill a lot you'll be buying another pair each season. Others keep their boots longer, again it's a preference thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidj (Post 1719562)
^^^ this... and I've got 60+ days on them. Not saying they're the best (I don't have exp with a lot of different boots) but all mountain/freeriding is no issue if paired with the right bindings. Heel hold is still what it was when brand new. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

How are the ions/rulers for freestyle?
You do any jibbing with them?
I'm on burton genesis bindings (flex 6) and wondering about getting ions vs rulers

Tranceaddict 10-07-2014 03:10 PM

Just an update; I bought a pair of 2014 Rulers and had to return them. They are really narrow and were pinching the side of my foot really bad. I walked around in them for a few days with no change. I then got an amazing deal on 2012 Ions, and they feel great. Walking around in them, the comfort and build quality is night and day compared to the Rulers. They tend to run wider in the toe box and are a perfect fit. Can't wait for the first snowfall to test out on the slopes.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2