Thoughts on boa lacing - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #21 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceridwen View Post
You can pick up a full set of replacement parts for $12 + shipping from BOA if you want extras to have on hand. If your BOA system actually breaks they will sent you replacements for free. There was someone on the mountain who would have been able to fix the boot for us if we'd had the parts, but the store there did not carry replacement BOA parts. He did mention that if it had been a cable that broke he would probably have been able to tie it back together as a short term solution to keep the boots running until we could get a new cable.
btw. he would not have been able to tie the cable together.

If you are the smart, plan-ahead type, you can just email BOA now, before your shit breaks, and carry it around in your gear. Even tell them your ratchet spool jammed/exploded so they send everything (if not specific, they will only send a cable). Don't pay for shit.

That's what I'd do if I ever have another pair of BOA's, which I won't, because I'm still confused about besides the addition of technology, r&d, material, and money, I don't understand what improvement they provide over laces. And don't say they are faster, because while they may be slightly quicker in the morning, you will see many people (myself included) who will fuck with them all day long just because they can. I don't even untie at lunch in the lodge because my boots are comfy and may as well been laced by magic lacing gremlins for all my feet know.

Tying traditional laces seems really easy to me, but maybe i'm like the fucking Michael Jordan of lace tying.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash

Last edited by snowklinger; 01-31-2012 at 10:03 AM.
snowklinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
killclimbz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Front Range
Posts: 10,664
Default

Huge improvements with BOA for backcountry riding. Being able to loosen your upper cuff with the dual zone system makes for much more comfortable skinning. If you need support for say steep side hilling, it's a few cranks away. You're not going to do this with laces or speed laces. Yes I've broken a few cables, it's been over 30 days each time. If you have the kit, it's just about as much of a hassle to replace as laces are, which break and stretch. Overall I have been quite happy with the dual BOA system. Having spares is a good idea. Especially for the upper cable. That seems to be the one I most often fray. Visually inspecting your cables before and after each use will cut down on the breakage factor. I've done a full day with a just frayed cable no problem. It's also worth tightening your boots back up after you take them off to make sure the cables don't get bent, snagged, and such. It has been nothing short of huge improvement for me.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
i tried a Ride double boa and K2 triple boa system, i like how easy they where and they never loosened up other than breaking in.

The problem i had with both is that the way the boa laces were attatched to the boot cause the boot flex to pinch my ankles which hurt a lot. They were comfortable in store and walking arround my house. but once i started riding is when they started hurting.

This for me!

I had K2 single Boa Raiders. I loved them and they were easy as hell to adjust. But the wire threaded over the inside of my left ankle bone and as soon as I did a couple of runs, put way too much pressure on that point leading to so much pain I could barely walk after taking off the boots.

Just make sure when you buy the Boa system, they have adequate padding under the wire on the pressure points of your foot.
stevetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
btw. he would not have been able to tie the cable together.

If you are the smart, plan-ahead type, you can just email BOA now, before your shit breaks, and carry it around in your gear. Even tell them your ratchet spool jammed/exploded so they send everything (if not specific, they will only send a cable). Don't pay for shit.

That's what I'd do if I ever have another pair of BOA's, which I won't, because I'm still confused about besides the addition of technology, r&d, material, and money, I don't understand what improvement they provide over laces. And don't say they are faster, because while they may be slightly quicker in the morning, you will see many people (myself included) who will fuck with them all day long just because they can. I don't even untie at lunch in the lodge because my boots are comfy and may as well been laced by magic lacing gremlins for all my feet know.

Tying traditional laces seems really easy to me, but maybe i'm like the fucking Michael Jordan of lace tying.

Honestly, the only reason I even got rid of my lace boots was because I didn't feel like I could get them tight enough. I like mine pretty snug - but that goes for pretty much all shoes for me but especially for anything athletic. I played college baseball and I wore shoes a half size too small and cranked them as tight as I could get them before double-knotting. Snowboard boots, because of all the padding and the general size, I just can't do that. BOA could.
easton714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bobthegood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maplewood, MN
Posts: 105
Default

I owned a pair of K2 single boa's, and am on my 2nd pair of TIDB’s. Shit just keeps getting better. But as others have said, if the boots don't fit right to begin with, boas's are not going to help.
__________________
"I didn't do it, and nobody saw me."
bobthegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
SnowRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NW NJ via NYC
Posts: 202
Default

My two cents. I love them, but also realize boot technology has probably improved in terms of comfort/heel lift versus my last pair with standard laces so I am coming at this from a point where any pair of new boots I would have probably appreciated. I got the K2 Thraxis through a friend at a discount which helps, so I have their triple BOA system and a heat molded boot.

What I like most is that you donít have to over-tighten which is something I did far too often with laces. I throw them on at the hill and tighten, but lean towards not tightening them down too much. Then after the walk to the lift I will adjust before strapping in. The ease in which I can tighten at any point of the day/anywhere has made my riding much more comfortable. With laces I would go overboard because I didnít want to have to stop to tighten more.
SnowRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned!
 
snowklinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: L-Town
Posts: 4,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
Huge improvements with BOA for backcountry riding. Being able to loosen your upper cuff with the dual zone system makes for much more comfortable skinning. If you need support for say steep side hilling, it's a few cranks away. You're not going to do this with laces or speed laces. Yes I've broken a few cables, it's been over 30 days each time. If you have the kit, it's just about as much of a hassle to replace as laces are, which break and stretch. Overall I have been quite happy with the dual BOA system. Having spares is a good idea. Especially for the upper cable. That seems to be the one I most often fray. Visually inspecting your cables before and after each use will cut down on the breakage factor. I've done a full day with a just frayed cable no problem. It's also worth tightening your boots back up after you take them off to make sure the cables don't get bent, snagged, and such. It has been nothing short of huge improvement for me.
good point about skinning, didn't think of that.
__________________
Support Local Business
"Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!" - Ash
snowklinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
KG29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 94
Default

I love the boa system and the dual boa even better

It's a hate love thing some people love you just slip you foot in and twist the knob and your going on the chair left.

I view it as the rear entry bindings you hate them or think they are cool

Myself very dislike the tradinal lace system(hockey skate style) never could get my laces tight enough
KG29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
metric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Minneapolis / Switzerland
Posts: 171
Default

Love my Thirty Two Focus Boas, which are a dual boa. I tried and returned the Ride Jackson which is a single boa. Too many pressure points
metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member
 
eek5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Love my Thirty Two Focus Boas, which are a dual boa. I tried and returned the Ride Jackson which is a single boa. Too many pressure points
Same here. Went from DC dual boas to K2 "dual" boa (one for shell and one for the conda) and I hated the K2s. So many weird pressure points. Dual boa for the shell is just better, period.

It seems like most people who are satisfied with single boa haven't ridden a good dual boa boot.
eek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums