Shredsoles? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Chandler789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 34
Default Shredsoles?

Has anyone used these versus some of the other popular insole solutions? I am interested in buying them to help reduce heal lift and support my arch a little better. I was also considering a J-bars/ foam on-top of that if needed. There seems to be more space towards my heal then the front of the boot, so I have a bit of lift.

I am rocking Burton Rulers FYI
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Not a moderator pal, Im an Admin. I handle technical aspects of the forum. The mods are the E police here. I am just a tech guy so get off your lecturing high horse about "my repsonsibilities as a moderator" your`e barking up the wrong tree......
Chandler789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Basti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 446
Default

Insoles will not help you with heel lift. For that you will need J-bars, L-bars or maybe wraparounds. Tognar has a wide and great collection for your needs.

Still, I highly recommend getting better insoles for arch support. Shredsoles have good reviews. I personally prefer Footprint Game Changers. They are pretty much as good as the expensive custom footbeds but much cheaper. Also, their cushioning is really good.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Chandler789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 34
Default

I was looking at the infamous Superfeet red hots as well.

I did see the game changers on YouTube or some other site, but I was a bit skeptically of me molding them the wrong way. Do they give a lot of support, or do they just simply fit to your foot.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Not a moderator pal, Im an Admin. I handle technical aspects of the forum. The mods are the E police here. I am just a tech guy so get off your lecturing high horse about "my repsonsibilities as a moderator" your`e barking up the wrong tree......
Chandler789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,363
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler789 View Post
Has anyone used these versus some of the other popular insole solutions? I am interested in buying them to help reduce heal lift and support my arch a little better. I was also considering a J-bars/ foam on-top of that if needed. There seems to be more space towards my heal then the front of the boot, so I have a bit of lift.

I am rocking Burton Rulers FYI
I've used Shred Soles and have a brand new pair ready to put in my new boots this year (review). As Basti mentioned, these are really not going to help with heel lift, but I'd still recommend them for overall comfort, support, and better riding experience.

There are other brands out there like Remind Insoles and a few others that don't come to mind immediately, but Shred Soles are the only ones I have experience with.
__________________

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 47

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Rooster King
 
ShredLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,134
Default

Sole EVs have a pretty deep heelcup - i want to say that could help with heel-lift...
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Chandler789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
I've used Shred Soles and have a brand new pair ready to put in my new boots this year (review). As Basti mentioned, these are really not going to help with heel lift, but I'd still recommend them for overall comfort, support, and better riding experience.

There are other brands out there like Remind Insoles and a few others that don't come to mind immediately, but Shred Soles are the only ones I have experience with.
Will they honor their 90-money back? I did not find any contact information on their web pages, so how would a return work? I would just want to put my feet into them for an hour or so.

I am most concerned about the arc being to high and the cant being uncomfortable.

@David, I noted in your review you sometimes get a pinch around your arch, was that due to having slightly wider feet?

My feet are not as narrow as most but shouldn't be considered wide (I can't wear Nike, and I find New Balance Regular to be quite comfortable). I read on these forums that the superfeet helped with that problem.

--

Maybe I won't fix the heel lift, but either way an insole would make me more comfortable. I ordered foam, heal wedges, and insole blanks. I will find a combination that works for me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Not a moderator pal, Im an Admin. I handle technical aspects of the forum. The mods are the E police here. I am just a tech guy so get off your lecturing high horse about "my repsonsibilities as a moderator" your`e barking up the wrong tree......

Last edited by Chandler789; 11-20-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Chandler789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Basti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler789 View Post

I did see the game changers on YouTube or some other site, but I was a bit skeptically of me molding them the wrong way. Do they give a lot of support, or do they just simply fit to your foot.
You can't really mold them the wrong way. Put water in, put the insole in a shoe and walk around for a few minutes. The upside is that they mold to your arch exactly the right amount and stay like that.

I don't really know what you mean by asking if they give a lot of support. They fit your foot. I believe the support mainly comes from the boot.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger
 
david_z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Detroit suburbs
Posts: 3,363
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler789 View Post
Will they honor their 90-money back? I did not find any contact information on their web pages, so how would a return work? I would just want to put my feet into them for an hour or so.
I'd be shocked if they didn't honor their money-back. Here's a contact # for them, you could call & inquire or alternatively, send an email to nate AT shredsoles.com

717-395-6138




Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler789 View Post
I noted in your review you sometimes get a pinch around your arch, was that due to having slightly wider feet?
It was weird, like a pinchy crampy discomfort. I don't think that I have particularly high arches, I've never had any problem in other sports like running, rugby, basketball, etc., all which use very different shoes & support systems, but for some reason, I would get this weird discomfort in my leading foot when snowboarding. So, I'm not really sure what caused it, but the Shred Soles seem to have helped; I don't think it's happened the past 2 seasons and prior to that, it was something I always just lived with, going back to like 1996 or so.
__________________

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 47

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Chandler789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 34
Default

Thanks for that phone number, I am going to try these first - If they are uncomfortable, I will return them I suppose

I just called Nate and he talked to me for a bit. He offered me free shipping xD
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Not a moderator pal, Im an Admin. I handle technical aspects of the forum. The mods are the E police here. I am just a tech guy so get off your lecturing high horse about "my repsonsibilities as a moderator" your`e barking up the wrong tree......
Chandler789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post
It was weird, like a pinchy crampy discomfort. I don't think that I have particularly high arches, I've never had any problem in other sports like running, rugby, basketball, etc., all which use very different shoes & support systems, but for some reason, I would get this weird discomfort in my leading foot when snowboarding. So, I'm not really sure what caused it, but the Shred Soles seem to have helped; I don't think it's happened the past 2 seasons and prior to that, it was something I always just lived with, going back to like 1996 or so.
I had this problem as well, I think part of it s having lower legs tightness (calf, shin, peroneus) along with tough tissue in the sole of your foot. Getting better fitting boots that lock down your heel and a custom footbed that let the bottom of your foot relax both will help.

You can see this yourself - while in snowboard stance bend you knees deeply while keeping your heels on the ground. You will notice you will hinge at the ankles and your weight feel pretty even on the soles of your feet.

Then bend your knees while pushes down with your toes (i.e. firing your calf muscle) that effective keeps you ankle from hinging. Sit there for a moment and focus on where you feel your weight. I think you will feel a lot of "pressure" in the middle of your foot where you arch is. Now imagine holding this position for hours of snowboarding... with the added G forces of snowboarding.

Muscle you need to stretch - calf (gastroc, soleus), shin (anterior tibalis), peroneus (kind of on the side) and flexor/extensor digitorum (toe muscles).

Getting a golf ball and roll the bottom of your foot helps as well.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums