stupid question? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 10:55 AM
mjd
Senior Member
 
mjd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: neverbored RI
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
women have lower calves than guys. my gf had luck with NorthWave boots.

Try this trick and spin it, yeah
Your head will collapse
mjd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
 
timmytard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I can see Santa shoveling his driveway
Posts: 4,202
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
I developed an arthritic condition that was being treated with steroids & I went from my usual tubby 270-280 to a whopping 315 without eating a single extra donut or pizza pie!!

heres the proof:
Attachment 9298

Discovered snowboarding in 2011 and have been seriously hooked since!!
Don't give up, find someone who will help you to get into the right boots & gear,.. don't let anyone discourage you!! First time you get a decent slide down that hill,.. you will be SO STOKED!!!!
That's awesome, I love seein' old guys on the hill Whenever I see one, I make sure I tell 'em that I love seein' old guys out there
Ah, I just fuckin' wit chya!!! I'm pushin' 40

But ah...... To tell you the truth, you look happier than a pig in shit, on the left.


TT

If whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

Then I am so close to immortality
timmytard is offline  
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 11:49 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 2,368
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Man, crazy props to the OP, BA and Chomps. Serious respect.

'12 NS Legacy 163
Trace Stats
Days on snow 2015/2016 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 8
  • Boyne Mountain:
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Big Sky:
  • Lake Louise: 3
sabatoa is offline  
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
backstop13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatoa View Post
Man, crazy props to the OP, BA and Chomps. Serious respect.
for real. I dropped 40 pounds since last year and it's been tough. Couldn't imagine losing 3x that in the same time period. Mad props to all of you.
backstop13 is offline  
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
jennifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Central California
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you all so much.

I was wanting to ski originally...but with the boot issue (plus the fact that my husband got sooooo excited when I mentioned I might try snowboarding) I decided to go ahead and try snowboarding this year. Honestly I only chose to try to ski first because it looks easier.

One of the bootfitters really did try to get me into a boot. He was really nice and really seemed to want to help. I think the problem might also be that my leg does not taper a whole lot toward the ankle either. I dont know. But I agree that there has to be some sort of a solution...dont know if it was just being lazy or just not knowing what to do.

I found a pair of used womens Burton boots on Craigslist last night for only $10. So my husband is going to pick them up for me today and I will do my experimenting on those. No point in buying nice new boots to mess with until I am sure that I can make this work.

I was blessed with crazy big muscles in my legs...plus I still have a lot of weight left to lose. I started at 350 pounds back in August. I am down under 240 now. My weight gain WAS my fault. I ate to much and didnt get any movement in. I am still working my behind off to get rid of the rest of my weight, and it is not easy. But it is sooooo worth it. I couldnt even walk from my house to the car without getting winded before. I couldnt get from the car to the ski resort without taking several breaks. Now I can walk for miles and am actually excited about being active.

Thank you all so much for the advice, encouragement, and for just being so nice. My husband was sure I was going to get some mean weight related comments when I posted about this online, I am happy he was wrong. There was another forum where a girl asked about boots for large legs and was told that no one wants to see fatties up at the ski resort. Glad I came here instead.
jennifer is offline  
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 06:02 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
backstop13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
Thank you all so much.

I was wanting to ski originally...but with the boot issue (plus the fact that my husband got sooooo excited when I mentioned I might try snowboarding) I decided to go ahead and try snowboarding this year. Honestly I only chose to try to ski first because it looks easier.

One of the bootfitters really did try to get me into a boot. He was really nice and really seemed to want to help. I think the problem might also be that my leg does not taper a whole lot toward the ankle either. I dont know. But I agree that there has to be some sort of a solution...dont know if it was just being lazy or just not knowing what to do.

I found a pair of used womens Burton boots on Craigslist last night for only $10. So my husband is going to pick them up for me today and I will do my experimenting on those. No point in buying nice new boots to mess with until I am sure that I can make this work.

I was blessed with crazy big muscles in my legs...plus I still have a lot of weight left to lose. I started at 350 pounds back in August. I am down under 240 now. My weight gain WAS my fault. I ate to much and didnt get any movement in. I am still working my behind off to get rid of the rest of my weight, and it is not easy. But it is sooooo worth it. I couldnt even walk from my house to the car without getting winded before. I couldnt get from the car to the ski resort without taking several breaks. Now I can walk for miles and am actually excited about being active.

Thank you all so much for the advice, encouragement, and for just being so nice. My husband was sure I was going to get some mean weight related comments when I posted about this online, I am happy he was wrong. There was another forum where a girl asked about boots for large legs and was told that no one wants to see fatties up at the ski resort. Glad I came here instead.
well typically we're all a bunch of assholes, so I don't know how you ended up with nice encouragement

in all seriousness, props to you for working towards your goal. It only gets easier...once you start getting even more active and see the changes you'll get even more jacked up about staying fit. It's a good cycle to be in for sure.

I think grabbing some boots for cheap was a great idea. Be aware though, that if you continue to lose weight you're going to have to get new boards on top of better fitting clothes. That's a good problem to have though
backstop13 is offline  
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
I was wanting to ski originally...but with the boot issue (plus the fact that my husband got sooooo excited when I mentioned I might try snowboarding) I decided to go ahead and try snowboarding this year. Honestly I only chose to try to ski first because it looks easier.

There was another forum where a girl asked about boots for large legs and was told that no one wants to see fatties up at the ski resort. Glad I came here instead.
Hopefully you get the right solution for you! I must say that while snowboarding is a bit of a foreign feeling at first, I think the learning curve is more fun with boarding. After the first few days of sore knees, wrists, butt, etc. it all becomes really fun. And when you wipe out there's no "yard sale" of skis and poles spread all over the hill! Trust me I wipe out every day on the hill and I've been boarding for 21 years now.

I guess with every sport you'll get the douche bags. I'm sure some people laugh at my gear sometimes, but as long as you're there to get some fresh air, exersize, and fun, who cares what people say?

Just don't get a gopro and mount it to the top of your helmet cause I make fun of those guys.
poutanen is offline  
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
 
extra0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
if you posted on some other forum, some immature asshole might've tried to make himself look like a comedian at your expense, but I'm guessing people on this site are a bit more mature and more advanced snowboarders.

Just remember to use your edges from the start...sliding flat on the base can be kinda sketchy even for more advanced riders.
extra0 is offline  
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mountains
Posts: 11,672
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extra0 View Post
if you posted on some other forum, some immature asshole might've tried to make himself look like a comedian at your expense, but I'm guessing people on this site are a bit more mature and more advanced snowboarders.

Just remember to use your edges from the start...sliding flat on the base can be kinda sketchy even for more advanced riders.
Are you saying I'm mature? I know I'm advanced I have hair on my dangler.

Angry Snowboarder Because someone has to call it how they see it!
BurtonAvenger is offline  
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extra0 View Post
if you posted on some other forum, some immature asshole might've tried to make himself look like a comedian at your expense, but I'm guessing people on this site are a bit more mature and more advanced snowboarders.
You guessed wrong!!! Lotsa immaturity here... For some odd reason this forum is balanced though, between the noobs, the sarcastics, the veterans, etc. etc. etc.
poutanen is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome