Rome 390 + Vans Cirro = HATE? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
Default Rome 390 + Vans Cirro = HATE?

Hello.

I'm riding Vans Cirro with Rome 390 2011. The problem I have is that the toe strap pinches my little finger when I use it over the boot's top. I tried to shorten the strap from the other side so it wouldn't reach my pinky toe but afterwards it is too short to tie it.
I rode 5 times with this setup and I already have a small hollow on my boot, where the strap has ended.
From what I see, there are 2 options:

1. The top of the boot is too soft. => Other boots
2. The toe strap is too short. => Other bindings

What could be the problem?
Thanks,
reneftw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0006.jpg (88.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0007.jpg (97.9 KB, 61 views)
reneftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Slush Puppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: French Alps
Posts: 306
Default

Can you clarify this please? Pinching your finger???
Also you talk about having the strap over the top but then the picture appears to show the strap over the end of the boot?

It should either be over the toe at 45 ish deg or vertically over the top of the boot (my preference).
Slush Puppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,339
Default

Been there.

I'd recommend swapping out the toe strap to a Burton get-a-grip strap. It's a cheaper fix than buying a new set of bindings and you're getting a better cap strap.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush Puppie View Post
Can you clarify this please? Pinching your finger???
Also you talk about having the strap over the top but then the picture appears to show the strap over the end of the boot?

It should either be over the toe at 45 ish deg or vertically over the top of the boot (my preference).
I use it at a 45 degree angle normally, in the photo the strap is over the end of the boot so you can see better what I'm trying to say.
When I close the toe strap, the end of it just presses on my little finger. Maybe Extremo can help me explain better, looks like he knows what I'm talking about.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
Been there.

I'd recommend swapping out the toe strap to a Burton get-a-grip strap. It's a cheaper fix than buying a new set of bindings and you're getting a better cap strap.

http://www.dogfunk.com/burton-ultra-capstrap
Are these the ones? Or can you please post a link so I can see what you are talking about?

Last edited by reneftw; 01-05-2013 at 01:10 AM.
reneftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Slush Puppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: French Alps
Posts: 306
Default

Yeah it's ok I know exactly what you mean, i've experienced the same thing. But I managed to solve it.

My first set of boots (Kaiju) were doing that too - deforming slightly where the thicker part of the buckle was.

I found that adjusting the toecap position side to side and also getting it over the correct part of the toe helped.

But what made it go away completely was getting wearing the strap completely as a top strap not cap. I find that config much more responsive because the pressure is directly over the ball of the foot, sot it really holds the foot in place and you don't need to crank it.

However, I've since go the same boot a half size smaller and it does not deform at all wearing cap. Tried if for a few runs and its was fine. But still prefer the extra response of wearing them top by a mile.
Slush Puppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneftw View Post

Burton Gettagrip Capstrap from Dogfunk.com
Are these the ones? Or can you please post a link so I can see what you are talking about?
Yeah that's them. You'll have to make sure they're compatible. I don't know if you can insert them through the baseplate the way you do with Burton and Union.

If they are this should eliminate the problem. They're more tapered and rounded so there is less to dig into the boot. Go with the large. The medium may cause the same problem.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gdog42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 408
Default

The problem is definitely the boots. If the Burton cap straps don't fit or work, send them back and perhaps you could consider getting new boots from a different brand.
Vans boots have much softer toe sections than most brands, which collapse under the toe straps. This was the main problem in reviews of multiple Vans boots on The Good Ride. http://thegoodride.com/boot-reviews/vans-cirro/

Hopefully everything will work out for you.
Gdog42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog42 View Post
The problem is definitely the boots. If the Burton cap straps don't fit or work, send them back and perhaps you could consider getting new boots from a different brand.
Vans boots have much softer toe sections than most brands, which collapse under the toe straps. This was the main problem in reviews of multiple Vans boots on The Good Ride. Vans Cirro Boot Review | The Good RideThe Good Ride

Hopefully everything will work out for you.
The problem is definitely not the boot. It is the combination of the boot and binding. Some just line up at that point. I have several pairs of bindings that I ride with the same boot. Only one strap does this. A different strap is a likely solution.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gdog42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
The problem is definitely not the boot. It is the combination of the boot and binding. Some just line up at that point. I have several pairs of bindings that I ride with the same boot. Only one strap does this. A different strap is a likely solution.
So if the Burton strap doesn't fit, maybe contact Rome ask for a set of this season's 390 toe straps, which are open in the center and can be capped properly.
It looks like the 2011 390 has a flat strap designed to wear over the toe, which unfortunately has the compressing effect on the soft Vans toe box.
Gdog42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog42 View Post
So if the Burton strap doesn't fit, maybe contact Rome ask for a set of this season's 390 toe straps, which are open in the center and can be capped properly.
It looks like the 2011 390 has a flat strap designed to wear over the toe, which unfortunately has the compressing effect on the soft Vans toe box.
I guess asking for new straps cannot hurt. But FWIW the 11/12 390 toe straps work perfectly with my Vans boots - in fact they are just as good as the Burton ones in my experience. The Rome straps look flat but they actually stretch and conform to the boot really well.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums