Nitro boots flex? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 20
Default Nitro boots flex?

How would you guys rate the stiffness of their boots - more specifically the Select, Team, Reducer, Ultra and Anthem?
slacker032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 20
Default

I currently have the 2009 Anthems and wondering if I should go for a stiffer boot since I don't do any park.
slacker032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Default

Team is like 5, Select is like 6-7 without the insert, with the insert it is like a 8-9. Anthem is like a 3-4.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
Team is like 5, Select is like 6-7 without the insert, with the insert it is like a 8-9. Anthem is like a 3-4.
Do you think the Team is stiff enough or should I opt for the Select?
slacker032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker032 View Post
Do you think the Team is stiff enough or should I opt for the Select?
I've used both the Team and the Select and personally I would go for the Selects over the Team if you aren't doing any park (I like more supportive boot in general). Without the stiffener the Select are still very playful. On the flipside, occasionally I wish the Teams were a little stiffer fore-aft for better toesides.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 20
Default

For what it's worth, I switched from my Anthems to a Salomon F22 last year, thinking the stiffer boot would be better for freeriding (I don't spend any time in the park). The response was slightly better, but I missed the Anthem's forgiveness and all-day comfort...so I'm back to the Anthem again this year.
southy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by southy View Post
For what it's worth, I switched from my Anthems to a Salomon F22 last year, thinking the stiffer boot would be better for freeriding (I don't spend any time in the park). The response was slightly better, but I missed the Anthem's forgiveness and all-day comfort...so I'm back to the Anthem again this year.
That might be a boot fit issue and not directly due to the stiffness... I used to ride Salomon boots (tried Dialogue, Synapse, Malamute, and F22) and there were great up to point... then after about 10-15 I would get pressure points on the top of my foot and my shin as the stiffer boot digs into your leg. Turns out the boot didn't fit me perfectly and that was causing the comfort issues (they went away when I switched to Nitro boots).

If the boot is doesn't fit and is too soft... you can get weird foot cramps and pain even though the boot "feels comfortable" because you aren't getting enough support and your muscles are taking too much strain.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lonerider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 947
Default

Update: If you (OP) are worried about going too stiff... go with the Teams... they are a great all around boots, not quite as stiff as the Select, but probably plenty stiff for most people (as I mentioned, I prefer more supportive boots for more responsiveness, but that's my personal preference)
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
Update: If you (OP) are worried about going too stiff... go with the Teams... they are a great all around boots, not quite as stiff as the Select, but probably plenty stiff for most people (as I mentioned, I prefer more supportive boots for more responsiveness, but that's my personal preference)
Gotcha. Yea, I love the way my Anthems fit and feel. Just thinking about upgrading to a stiffer boot for better response and I'm assuming the fit would be the same. Thanks for your input.
slacker032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerider View Post
That might be a boot fit issue and not directly due to the stiffness... I used to ride Salomon boots (tried Dialogue, Synapse, Malamute, and F22) and there were great up to point... then after about 10-15 I would get pressure points on the top of my foot and my shin as the stiffer boot digs into your leg. Turns out the boot didn't fit me perfectly and that was causing the comfort issues (they went away when I switched to Nitro boots).

If the boot is doesn't fit and is too soft... you can get weird foot cramps and pain even though the boot "feels comfortable" because you aren't getting enough support and your muscles are taking too much strain.
Funny you should say that. The Anthems are 2 seasons old and I started getting a weird cramp in my arch once they were fully packed out and softened up (end of last season). I may try the F22s again. In fairness, I only rode them twice....and they felt great for about an hour (NO heel lift). I would assume they'll get better the more the liner conforms to my foot.
southy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums