When trying on the boots, should the toes be touching without socks on? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 39
Default When trying on the boots, should the toes be touching without socks on?

I'm currently renting boots that are too big for me and looking to buy new boots. These will be my first pair! I'm interested in the Womens Burton Sapphire boots because I heard good things about them.

I'm normally a size 10 shoe. The person at the store measured my foot and said I should wear size 9 boots. At the time I wasn't wearing any socks and my toes were already touching the front of the boot. They felt a little tight, but not too bad. The person at the store said they need to be tight even without socks because it will eventually mold to my foot and flatten out. But I wear really thick Burton Snowboarding Socks so I'm worried the boots will be too tight with socks on. Since I wasn't wearing any socks I'm thinking of playing it safe and buying the size 9.5 boot just in case. Is this a bad idea? Should I get size 9 or 9.5?

Thanks in advance!
rideordiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
NWBoarder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 2,035
Blog Entries: 10
Default

No one can really tell you what size boot you should get. That is purely up to you. What I can can say though is this, try on boots with you snowboard socks on. Not without them.
__________________
Oh yeah!? Well, my mom says I'm cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Bigsby View Post
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 39
Default

I agree, I wish I brought my socks with me. The sales guy told me it should be really tight, not where my toes are bent, but really tight because it will mold to my foot. I'm just wondering if that's true.
rideordiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Default

Boots is the single most important piece of gear that is more important than your board or bindings, so if you plan on taking on snowboarding as a hobby do NOT skimp on your boots

Maybe you have heard good things about the Burton boots but dont over look other brands either. Try on as many different pair of boots by as many different brands as possible as they all fit differently.

I generally have to size UP when I buy boots, im a size 11 foot and normally I have to buy 11.5. If your toes are already touching w/o socks more likely than not its going to be too tight with board socks on. Thats going to lead to unnecessary foot pain, numbness, cramps, and will end your day prematurely

Make sure the boots offer good ankle hold, when trying on the boots lean forward like you would onto your toe side edge and if you feel your ankles are not properly supported or lifting out of the liner than these boots are not for you. Commonly people will over tighten their liner and boot to remedy the heel lift but that will only lead to poor blood circulation into your foot and lead to the same as above, unnecessary foot pain, numbness, cramps, and will end your day prematurely. Your ankle should be comfortably cradled in the liner and not lifting out of the boot when on toe edge.

anyways ive said too much....go try on some more boots already
j1nftw1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 39
Default

Thanks for all the great input!

When you say offer good ankle hold, what would be the cause of not proper support? Is it the brand, size, etc... I tried on a size 8.5 boot and the boot was tight everywhere, but that made my ankle feel more supported. At the same time I tried on a size 9 boot and it felt looser around my ankle. Is it because it wasn't as tight or because I went up in size? Or could it just not be a good boot for me?
rideordiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideordiechick View Post
Thanks for all the great input!

When you say offer good ankle hold, what would be the cause of not proper support? Is it the brand, size, etc... I tried on a size 8.5 boot and the boot was tight everywhere, but that made my ankle feel more supported. At the same time I tried on a size 9 boot and it felt looser around my ankle. Is it because it wasn't as tight or because I went up in size? Or could it just not be a good boot for me?
Cause of not having proper support is because everyones foot shape is not the same, so boot manufactures and designers can only guestimate what they think is the best fit for the general population, each boot brand has their own fit characteristic. When you size up in boots, the last (the mold that a shoe is shaped around) also goes up in size which is why the sz 9 offered less support than the 8.5 . If you have good ankle support but have crimped toes or pressure points from the rest of the boot being too tight than these arent the right ones for you, if the rest of the boot is comfy but your heels are lifting up when going toe side than these boots are a no go. It may be frustrating but finding a good pair of boots make a world of difference. Its true snowboarding boots shouldnt feel comfortable at first, but they also shouldnt kill your feet. Good idea is to buy boots from a store that will fully guarantee your satisfaction. REI is one such great place that offers 100% satisfaction guarantee and an unlimited return policy.
j1nftw1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Treegreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideordiechick View Post
The sales guy told me it should be really tight, not where my toes are bent, but really tight because it will mold to my foot. I'm just wondering if that's true.
You are going to want them snug when you buy them. As snug as you can reasonably go without it causing unbearable foot pain.

One method is to size down a half-size from your normal shoe and try on a bunch of different boot brands. You'll know immediately if the boot is too small. Your toes will be painfully crammed in the boot, or your instep will be shoved up against it too hard, ect.

That'll give you an idea of how the various brands sizing run and whether or not you will need to try some in your original shoe size. Then you will most likely want to go with the boot that is just on the cusp of being too small, but isn't causing serious pain.

The reason for this is because what feels perfectly comfortable now will end up being too large after the boot packs out. What feels just a smidgen too tight should end up feeling perfect after pack out.

What that perfect fit/range is will ultimately be determined by your foot and trying on a bunch of different boots to see what works. You will definitely want your normal snowboard sock when trying stuff on.

Last edited by Treegreen; 03-06-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Treegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 425
Default

When you go back to the shop to purchase boots be sure to take socks with you so you can try on different sizes and purchase the one that fits best. I usually buy boots that initially fit with thin socks then as they pack out I switch to thicker socks.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treegreen View Post
The reason for this is because what feels perfectly comfortable now will end up being too large after the boot packs out. What feels just a smidgen too tight should end up feeling perfect after pack out.
Thanks for the advice. Perfectly comfortable with socks on, right?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
When you go back to the shop to purchase boots be sure to take socks with you so you can try on different sizes and purchase the one that fits best. I usually buy boots that initially fit with thin socks then as they pack out I switch to thicker socks.
Great idea! I think I'll try that. How much bigger will the boots get after they get packed out?
rideordiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 39
Default

I read somewhere that Burton boots don't pack out as much as other brands. Is that true?
rideordiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums