Boot sizing question (also need thoughts to pick between 32 Lashed vs Nike Kaiju) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Littlebigdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Boot sizing question (also need thoughts to pick between 32 Lashed vs Nike Kaiju)

I bought a pair of Thirtytwo lashed online at Size 8.5 (normally I wear size 9 shoes), I've used many pairs of boots in the past and I've always used 8.5 and they always seemed to fit perfectly.

However, for this new pair of Lashed, I noticed several things:

1. the boot fits perfectly snug on my feet right now without any discomfort. However, I think they will pack out half a size over time and therefore I think I bought the boot 0.5 size too big?

2. there is some slight heel lift when I tried the boots on. Is this another indication of the boot being a bit too big? A lot of people on the Internet suggested getting J-bars to fix the situation, what do you guys think?

3. i bought the boots for ~$105. But at the same time I found a pair of Nike Kaiju for $200 and I'm seriously debating on trying to sell the Lashed and getting the Kaiju. I'm worried that the Lashed is too soft and not as durable as the Kaiju. The Kaiju's are twice as expensive as the Lashed so I'm hesitant, but if the Kaijus will have much better performance for my riding (mostly pow, small cliff drops, and M-L kickers in the park) then I'd pick the Kaiju.
Littlebigdreams is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
 
Alkasquawlik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: la bella vita
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebigdreams View Post
I bought a pair of Thirtytwo lashed online at Size 8.5 (normally I wear size 9 shoes), I've used many pairs of boots in the past and I've always used 8.5 and they always seemed to fit perfectly.

However, for this new pair of Lashed, I noticed several things:

1. the boot fits perfectly snug on my feet right now without any discomfort. However, I think they will pack out half a size over time and therefore I think I bought the boot 0.5 size too big?

2. there is some slight heel lift when I tried the boots on. Is this another indication of the boot being a bit too big? A lot of people on the Internet suggested getting J-bars to fix the situation, what do you guys think?

3. i bought the boots for ~$105. But at the same time I found a pair of Nike Kaiju for $200 and I'm seriously debating on trying to sell the Lashed and getting the Kaiju. I'm worried that the Lashed is too soft and not as durable as the Kaiju. The Kaiju's are twice as expensive as the Lashed so I'm hesitant, but if the Kaijus will have much better performance for my riding (mostly pow, small cliff drops, and M-L kickers in the park) then I'd pick the Kaiju.
Stopped reading there. That's your problem.

Go into a shop and physically try the boots on. Boots vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and sizes/fit will vary even within the same company. Boots will change within time as well. I had a buddy who bought a pair of Hails, and the next year bought another pair (same size) assuming they would fit the same, and they didn't. Burton had totally changed the way the boot fit.

Boots do not have "better performance". It is all subjective to what YOU as a rider like in a boot. FWIW, from what you've said, either the Lashed do not fit your foot well, or you did buy a size too big.

Like I said, go to an actual shop and have someone competent fit you.

www.heckler.com
"I'm only here for the apres"
Alkasquawlik is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Littlebigdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah I know that the best way is definitely going to a shop, unfortunately I just don't have the time to do it yet and was hoping for some kind of info on the forums =/
Littlebigdreams is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
 
Alkasquawlik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: la bella vita
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebigdreams View Post
yeah I know that the best way is definitely going to a shop, unfortunately I just don't have the time to do it yet and was hoping for some kind of info on the forums =/
Boots are the single most important piece of gear you will have. It's the only piece of equipment that physically touches you, so don't cut corners on it.

Like I said earlier, it seems that the boots don't fit your personal foot that well, or you bought them slightly big. Maybe sizing down a 1/2-1 size would be better, but it's tough to gauge when you can't physically put your foot into the boot.

What you can do is go to a shop that has the 32 heat molding system, and have them heat mold your boots. The liner would expand to fit your foot more snugly, but if you bought them too big, they'll eventually pack out anyway, and you're foot will be swimming.

Where do you live?

www.heckler.com
"I'm only here for the apres"
Alkasquawlik is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Littlebigdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First of all, thanks for the replies!

I live in Vancouver and I'm not sure if shops still carry their molding equipment or have experienced staff around during the summer time?

I agree, I think the Lashed that I bought are probably 0.5 size too big, considering the heel lift. Getting J-bars seems like a quick & dirty way to fix the situation but I should really find a pair of boots without any of those issues in the first place. Especially since the boots are still new and I got them at a pretty good discount (can't return them because I bought online in the States).
Littlebigdreams is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
 
Alkasquawlik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: la bella vita
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it's an actual core shop, they should have the molding equipment and experienced staff year round. Obviously they will wind down a bit, but it's not like they stop employing people. Usually the people who are in the shops during the summer season are the more experienced people anyway.

I'm not too familiar with Vancouver, but I'm sure there are some solid shops to go to there. If not, go to The Circle in Whistler, and they will take care of you.

www.heckler.com
"I'm only here for the apres"
Alkasquawlik is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Littlebigdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cool, thanks!
Littlebigdreams is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 02:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys.

I bought a new pair of 32 Lashed snowboard boots in size 10 and got them heat molded in store with toe caps.
They seem a good fit generally but I feel that even when I get into riding position my toes are a wee bit cramped )not curled).
I thought the idea was the toes should just touch then not touch once in ride position ,they feel slightly cramped from above as well.

So ive read a lot of reviews where guys are saying the 32 boots run small so you should just get your street shoe size....even 32 themselves claim this but when I was in the store they go off the brannock system and seem to religiously stick to the downsize rule and keep saying the boot will pack out.

Some say in recent seasons this is not true and some boot liners do not pack out as much as they used to especially 32.
Also the shop says there is no difference between the 10 and 10 and a half as its only differences in the lining shell and footbed.

They also mention if it doesn't work I can always get custom footbeds.

So if I am fitting a 10and a half in street shoe Brooks and an 11 in a Puma im just wondering should I just attempt a second toe cap heat mold or should I take em back and try the 10 and a half which they claim will be faaaar too big even though 32 company themselves claim these things are more true to size.
I haven't taken em up mountain yet so may be able to swap them.
Ive been using hire Burton 10s and 10 and a halfs ( are they bigger than 32 sizing? )

SO frustrating how there is so much conflicting info on snowboard boot fitting.
Any help from anyone who is using 32 Lashed 2012 or 13 boots would be greatly appreciated thanks !
stevros48 is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 04:03 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevros48 View Post
Hey guys.

I bought a new pair of 32 Lashed snowboard boots in size 10 and got them heat molded in store with toe caps.
They seem a good fit generally but I feel that even when I get into riding position my toes are a wee bit cramped )not curled).
I thought the idea was the toes should just touch then not touch once in ride position ,they feel slightly cramped from above as well.

So ive read a lot of reviews where guys are saying the 32 boots run small so you should just get your street shoe size....even 32 themselves claim this but when I was in the store they go off the brannock system and seem to religiously stick to the downsize rule and keep saying the boot will pack out.

Some say in recent seasons this is not true and some boot liners do not pack out as much as they used to especially 32.
Also the shop says there is no difference between the 10 and 10 and a half as its only differences in the lining shell and footbed.

They also mention if it doesn't work I can always get custom footbeds.

So if I am fitting a 10and a half in street shoe Brooks and an 11 in a Puma im just wondering should I just attempt a second toe cap heat mold or should I take em back and try the 10 and a half which they claim will be faaaar too big even though 32 company themselves claim these things are more true to size.
I haven't taken em up mountain yet so may be able to swap them.
Ive been using hire Burton 10s and 10 and a halfs ( are they bigger than 32 sizing? )

SO frustrating how there is so much conflicting info on snowboard boot fitting.
Any help from anyone who is using 32 Lashed 2012 or 13 boots would be greatly appreciated thanks !
Go back to post #2 in this thread. Alkasquawlik is absolutely correct - there is really unlikely that you will get a reliable answer on boot fitting online.
Fit varies between model, manufacturers, model years, and even between different sizes for the same model in the same year. Most importantly it depends on the individual foot shape and there is no way to generalize. In my core (pun LOL) group of friends we ride multiple pairs Burton, Salomon, Vans, 32, and Ride boots and there is absolutely overall theme - some people upsize for Burton/Vans/32/Ride, some downsize; some find Vans run wide, others find they run narrow, etc.
The only general rule is that only trying them on (and sometimes even only riding them) will tell you whether a boot fits your foot.
hktrdr is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 04:23 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevros48 View Post
Also the shop says there is no difference between the 10 and 10 and a half as its only differences in the lining shell and footbed.
BTW, that is false - the 32 Lashed have 1:1 lasting.

Last edited by hktrdr; 10-29-2013 at 08:13 AM.
hktrdr is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome