REVIEW: 2012 Burton Custom X (162W) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
REVIEW: 2012 Burton Custom X (162W)

Thought I'd say a few words about this board in case anyone is debating picking one up.

This deck has such an aggressive camber that you need to be on point from start to finish or it will work you. Great edge hold and power transfer + turn initiation on steeper terrain, great pop, and a really good feeling with a pair of EST cartel bindings. You can't get away with being sloppy or you are going to get bucked all over the place on the deck. Stiff, but not impossible to ride. Has been great on steep terrain in deeper pow but kind of sluggish and unimpressive on more gradual terrain.

The wide version works well with my size 13 nike Kaiju boots and I don't experience any major overhang. Also a plus for the bigger guys.

Butters are easier than on my old Bataleon Undisputed deck (167) but it doesn't feel as solid at speed since it is 5cm shorter. I'm pretty sure it should be solid for you if you are under 6'3 and ~220 lbs. I've had two really scary "almost caught an edge" moments on it that I never had with the Bataleon.

If you are a larger dude looking for a board that you can ride hard and aggressive all day, I'd say this board is for you. More playful than I thought it was going to be, so thumbs up for that.

If you are smaller, you might have trouble maximizing the board unless your riding technique is flawless.

This board isn't made for someone who is learning...It's made for someone who knows how to ride and charge the mountain.

I'd give it a 9/10 for a pure fun and enjoyable experience so far with 4 days on the hill. The price is steep but I am not regretting the purchase at all.
yojik is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:07 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
hikeswithdogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: We've gone full Utard
Posts: 1,303
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yojik View Post
Thought I'd say a few words about this board in case anyone is debating picking one up.

This deck has such an aggressive camber that you need to be on point from start to finish or it will work you. Great edge hold and power transfer + turn initiation on steeper terrain, great pop, and a really good feeling with a pair of EST cartel bindings. You can't get away with being sloppy or you are going to get bucked all over the place on the deck. Stiff, but not impossible to ride. Has been great on steep terrain in deeper pow but kind of sluggish and unimpressive on more gradual terrain.

The wide version works well with my size 13 nike Kaiju boots and I don't experience any major overhang. Also a plus for the bigger guys.

Butters are easier than on my old Bataleon Undisputed deck (167) but it doesn't feel as solid at speed since it is 5cm shorter. I'm pretty sure it should be solid for you if you are under 6'3 and ~220 lbs. I've had two really scary "almost caught an edge" moments on it that I never had with the Bataleon.

If you are a larger dude looking for a board that you can ride hard and aggressive all day, I'd say this board is for you. More playful than I thought it was going to be, so thumbs up for that.

If you are smaller, you might have trouble maximizing the board unless your riding technique is flawless.

This board isn't made for someone who is learning...It's made for someone who knows how to ride and charge the mountain.

I'd give it a 9/10 for a pure fun and enjoyable experience so far with 4 days on the hill. The price is steep but I am not regretting the purchase at all.
Sounds like a more flexible version of my previous two T6's , not a huge fan of Burton anymore but the T6's and Custom X's will always have a special place in my memories.

makingfreshtracks.com
hikeswithdogs is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice review. I've been going back and forth between an X and a flying V for a couple weeks now, and just when I thought I settled on the flying V, I had to read this.

Got my Cartel EST's waiting to be mounted on something. Decision just got a little more difficult.
ballen is offline  
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
 
Mr. Polonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Brooklyn, Empire State
Posts: 1,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen View Post
Nice review. I've been going back and forth between an X and a flying V for a couple weeks now, and just when I thought I settled on the flying V, I had to read this.

Got my Cartel EST's waiting to be mounted on something. Decision just got a little more difficult.
the flying v and CX are like peaches to oranges. Choose wisely what type of riding u prefer to do for the most part, because these two boards differ quite a bit from one another.

i have last year Cartel est's and they go great with my FV


OP, i dont know how you manage to butter on that thing, i have a 160 and its stiff as hell. i guess im too light for length, but then again i only got it for bombing.

Without me, my board is useless. Without my board, I am useless

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mr. Polonia is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Polonia View Post
the flying v and CX are like peaches to oranges. Choose wisely what type of riding u prefer to do for the most part, because these two boards differ quite a bit from one another.

i have last year Cartel est's and they go great with my FV


OP, i dont know how you manage to butter on that thing, i have a 160 and its stiff as hell. i guess im too light for length, but then again i only got it for bombing.
Just wondering, how much do you weigh?
protechjump is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome