helmets - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Moving to the dark side...
 
Kevin137's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Drammen
Posts: 1,422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
@GreyDragon

OCCIGRIP is very similar to the system the POC uses for keeping the helmet fitted... They make a huge difference on the base of the skull as to how the helmet stays on your head and how comfortable that are as well...

Height 5"11, Weight 200-210lbs, Born 1969
Regular Stance, Ability NOT GOOD


2012/13 114 days
2013/14 102 days
2014/15 107 days


Rides

K2 Fastplant 154, Ride DH2 158, Endeavour Vice 155, Signal OG 155, NS Evo 157 (Stolen), Flow Quantum 155
Kevin137 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
 
cookiedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ice Coast
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Generally speaking there is no difference between more expensive or less expensive snowboard/ski helmets. All of them must confine and pass certification to be allowed on the market. There are two most common standards of protection: EN 1077:2007 Class A and Class B

The difference between A and B is in coverage and impact resistance. Here the layout.

Class B - has to protect the top and rear of the head but doesn't have to cover the ears (the odd Class B helmet does though)
Class A - has to protect the top and rear of the head and also the ears/side of the head

Impact Protection:
Class B - must be able to withstand an impact from a drop height equivalent to 375mm (37.5cm)
Class A - must be able to withstand an impact from a drop height equivalent to 750mm (75cm)

So obviously class A gives you more protection, in addition it provides more protection against penetration. Unfortunately on most retailers web sites they omit this information from the description of the helmet, but it can be always found on the sticker inside the helmet.

Last edited by cookiedog; 03-19-2014 at 02:29 PM.
cookiedog is offline  
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 02:33 PM
Member
 
the grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiedog View Post
Generally speaking there is no difference between more expensive or less expensive snowboard/ski helmets. All of them must confine and pass certification to be allowed on the market. There are two most common standards of protection: EN 1077:2007 Class A and Class B

The difference between A and B is in coverage and impact resistance. Here the layout.

Class B - has to protect the top and rear of the head but doesn't have to cover the ears (the odd Class B helmet does though)
Class A - has to protect the top and rear of the head and also the ears/side of the head

Impact Protection:
Class B - must be able to withstand an impact from a drop height equivalent to 375mm (37.5cm)
Class A - must be able to withstand an impact from a drop height equivalent to 750mm (75cm)

So obviously class A gives you more protection. Unfortunately on most retailers web sites they omit this information from the description of the helmet, but it can be always found on the sticker inside the helmet.
While they all have to meet the minimum, some go above it. Technologies such as MIPS do make a difference. And higher end helmets often have better retention systems and more sizes, which means a better fit (which means they will stay where they are supposed to be when you crash)

That being said, the main driver for price is features such as vents and audio. Which do not make a helmet safer, but could make it more comfortable and then you are more likely to wear it.
the grouch is offline  
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
 
cookiedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ice Coast
Posts: 548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the grouch View Post
While they all have to meet the minimum, some go above it. Technologies such as MIPS do make a difference. And higher end helmets often have better retention systems and more sizes, which means a better fit (which means they will stay where they are supposed to be when you crash)

That being said, the main driver for price is features such as vents and audio. Which do not make a helmet safer, but could make it more comfortable and then you are more likely to wear it.
Totally agree. Wearability is a very important factor, also helmet must have a perfect fit and sit snugly on the head. Something that most people don't take seriously but it makes a huge difference when it comes to impact protection.
cookiedog is offline  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 02:54 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Deacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 2,255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
buying an exorbitantly helmet can be counter-productive, as most are only good for one impact (mips claim to be good for multiple). people may be reluctant to chuck an expensive helmet after a medium impact. my Montane was a decent helmet in the $100+ range. split it like a melon, but it kept me alive

Riding this season...

2015 The Rat
2007 The Experience
Deacon is offline  
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
according to this article mips is great and all other helmets are the same.

SENSELESS | Bicycling Magazine
Justin is offline  
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 12:58 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Deacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hudson, WI
Posts: 2,255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
according to this article mips is great and all other helmets are the same.

SENSELESS | Bicycling Magazine
that sentence barely cracks the surface of what that article said. those tests were pretty much all bicycle tests, those falls are not the same as snowboarding falls. shit, snowboarding falls are significantly different incident to incident.

Riding this season...

2015 The Rat
2007 The Experience
Deacon is offline  
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
he does talk about snowboard helmets as well and how there has not been a change in materials in about 30 years. Also, i have never had a straight vertical fall on my head while snowboarding which is how all helmets are tested?

idk, i don't wear a helmet but have been researching it to see what evidence there is to wear one. I might consider the mips system if i was to start wearing one but im not sure yet.
Justin is offline  
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:55 AM
Fire on Ice...and Powder!
 
GreyDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: We the North
Posts: 1,483
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
idk, i don't wear a helmet but have been researching it to see what evidence there is to wear one. I might consider the mips system if i was to start wearing one but im not sure yet.
You know that you can conduct your own research into this.

Stand in front of a wall, with your back toward it.
Lean your head forward and then snap it backward so your head strikes the wall forcefully. Record the results.
Repeat this procedure with a helmet. Record the results.

Actually, it might be better to do this experiment with the helmet on first. It might be easier to record the results.
But then, I'm no scientist.
GreyDragon is offline  
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 04:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MASS, NA
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
^winner. Let Darwinism handle the rest
PorkCereal is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome