To wear or not to wear a Helm? - Page 11 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 04:11 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
FacePlant4Free's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: East Coast, PA
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloutris View Post
I watched this earlier today...
and now I just got home from buying a helmet xD
yeah that is def some scary shit. i couldn't imagine something like that happening to me. losing years of your life because of something like this would be insane.

i won't yell at anyone, i will simply suggest it.

love my RED HiFi and it is sooo warm

Park Pickle / GNU Ch
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ice


1
FacePlant4Free is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #102 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Member
 
Howlingsonnets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Philly
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloutris View Post
I watched this earlier today...
and now I just got home from buying a helmet xD
Always wore a helmet no matter how cool my beanie was or how uncool my helmet may have been....not everyone is as luck as him...very inspiring and it makes me wanna buy a helmet to give up to the most obnoxious teen who think they r too cool for school up on the mountain...
Howlingsonnets is offline  
post #103 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Duluth MN
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wear your helmet! i could never think of doing rails without one. scares me. get a smith maze. they are 11.5 oz and you dont even feel. them. they are absolutely amazing
conspiracy is offline  
post #104 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Always wear a helmet.
Had an accident last year (a pine tree jumped into my path). I collided head first and was out for 20 minutes. Suffered a cracked wrist but no head injury. That was WITH a helmet on my mellon.
If i wasnt wearing one i wouldnt be able to plan my revenge this year.

Joking aside, that shit was scary and i wouldnt think of going up a hill without my helmet afterwards.
spinn3rs is offline  
post #105 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Drunk with power...er beer.
 
Donutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 5,169
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Blog Entries: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn3rs View Post
Had an accident last year (a pine tree jumped into my path). I collided head first and was out for 20 minutes. Suffered a cracked wrist but no head injury. That was WITH a helmet on my mellon.
If i wasnt wearing one i wouldnt be able to plan my revenge this year.
Bringing an axe this year?


Coffee is your friend. Everyone else is an acquaintance.
Donutz is online now  
post #106 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Fire on Ice...and Powder!
 
GreyDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Wow, what a thread!
In the short time I've been on this site I haven't seen Snowolf so pissed over something, so you know this is quite the topic.

Let me throw a few thoughts into the discussion.

If you are in the U.S., ABSOLUTELY it is your choice to wear or not wear, and should stay that way.
Now I don't know how your health insurance premiums work there, but clearly they should be WAY higher for people who participate in risky activities without taking reasonable precautions. If your health insurer will cover you for all the treatment, therapy and aftercare (possibly years to rest of your life) for a serious injury and doesn't charge you a ton more in premiums, take advantage of that!!! Dodge the uncomfortable, unstylish brain bucket and maximize your freedom! Since you are comfortable with taking the risk, and your insurer is also comfortable with that, exercise your freedom!! YAH!!
And don't forget your contribution to the economy - keeping all those health care, therapy and long term care workers gainfully employed. Nice...

Now, how many of you who don't wear helmets, wear goggles?
Goggles? Really?
Aren't goggles just eyeglasses for sport activities? And we all know from our school days that eyeglasses are not cool. Only geeks/nerds/brainiacs wear glasses. SOOO unstylish. AND uncomfortable. Having a tight-fitting strap running around your head? Pressing a band of foam against your face with a coloured piece of plastic, which may fog up, obstructing your vision? Come on! Does it get more uncomfortable than that?? How do you see anything with that on?? Go ahead, ditch it.
Really, are there any BENEFITS to wearing goggles?



Okay, I hope I've brought a different take on why (I think) a helmet should be worn. But I'm not up for making it mandatory - at least in the U.S. Here in Canada where health care is universal and is funded by the taxpayer, I don't want my tax money taking care of some vegetable for the rest of his/her life because h/she didn't want to be "uncomfortable" or "not stylish". Many resorts here require a helmet if you go into the terrain park.
GreyDragon is online now  
post #107 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Duluth MN
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Bringing an axe this year?
revenge is near.
conspiracy is offline  
post #108 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
Wow, what a thread!
In the short time I've been on this site I haven't seen Snowolf so pissed over something, so you know this is quite the topic.

Let me throw a few thoughts into the discussion.

If you are in the U.S., ABSOLUTELY it is your choice to wear or not wear, and should stay that way.
Now I don't know how your health insurance premiums work there, but clearly they should be WAY higher for people who participate in risky activities without taking reasonable precautions. If your health insurer will cover you for all the treatment, therapy and aftercare (possibly years to rest of your life) for a serious injury and doesn't charge you a ton more in premiums, take advantage of that!!! Dodge the uncomfortable, unstylish brain bucket and maximize your freedom! Since you are comfortable with taking the risk, and your insurer is also comfortable with that, exercise your freedom!! YAH!!
And don't forget your contribution to the economy - keeping all those health care, therapy and long term care workers gainfully employed. Nice...

Now, how many of you who don't wear helmets, wear goggles?
Goggles? Really?
Aren't goggles just eyeglasses for sport activities? And we all know from our school days that eyeglasses are not cool. Only geeks/nerds/brainiacs wear glasses. SOOO unstylish. AND uncomfortable. Having a tight-fitting strap running around your head? Pressing a band of foam against your face with a coloured piece of plastic, which may fog up, obstructing your vision? Come on! Does it get more uncomfortable than that?? How do you see anything with that on?? Go ahead, ditch it.
Really, are there any BENEFITS to wearing goggles?



Okay, I hope I've brought a different take on why (I think) a helmet should be worn. But I'm not up for making it mandatory - at least in the U.S. Here in Canada where health care is universal and is funded by the taxpayer, I don't want my tax money taking care of some vegetable for the rest of his/her life because h/she didn't want to be "uncomfortable" or "not stylish". Many resorts here require a helmet if you go into the terrain park.
I get what you're saying, but snow reflects the sun and that can damage your eyes. Also it protects the eyes from wind and the cold.
Not as important as a helmet though
aloutris is offline  
post #109 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
 
mixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: so cal
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
Now I don't know how your health insurance premiums work there, but clearly they should be WAY higher for people who participate in risky activities without taking reasonable precautions.

you admit to knowing NOTHING about a particular topic (who covers premiums) so at least you know you're ignorant and to ignore the rest of your post. Thanks for the heads up.


So uh...who gets to decide what risky behavior is?


eating cheeseburgers every day? Skyd Diving? Smoking weed? Doing prescription pills? Riding a bike on the road in rush hour traffic (which even with a helm is pretty fucking dangerous where I live.

Riding a motorcycle? Being a couch potato? Having unprotected sex with random strangers?

So, who should pay more then? And how much more?

and what happens if you DONT have a helmet on but you break your leg?



oh wait, you already stated you don't know what you're talking about so Im guessing you're not gonna have any answers, either.

if a cat fucked a shark, the babies would be called women. snowklinger
mixie is offline  
post #110 of 373 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Fire on Ice...and Powder!
 
GreyDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Mr. Mixie, I said I don't know how the premiums are set in the U.S. In Canada, if you buy travel insurance, you are required by the insurer to disclose if you will be participating in any "high risk" activities. You have to tell them what it is before you are issued the coverage or else you are not covered for injury sustained doing that activity. The premium for the policy goes up accordingly, if they insure you at all

And, uh, since the insurance company is the entity providing the coverage, it is in their sole discretion to decide what is risky, and how much they wish to charge you for coverage, if they cover you at all.

I BELIEVE that similar practices exist in the U.S., (aren't professional athletes restricted from participating in "risky" activities by their insurance policies in the U.S.?) but I can't say for sure as I don't buy insurance there, so I didn't want to be arrogant and make any assumptions

That should take care of your summary comment that I know nothing about what I'm talking. I do - from experience. You can put your head back down now, from wherever you extracted it.

Mr. Aloutris, you are correct of course, and I knew that when I posted. But, as you mention, those things CAN occur (they may not). The rider is free to take the risk of eye damage occurring, just the same as head damage occurring when not wearing a helmet. My point about choosing comfort over safety is still valid in this illustration I believe.
GreyDragon is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome