To wear or not to wear a Helm? - Page 26 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #251 (permalink)
With extra cheese.
 
CheeseForSteeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default Re: To wear or not to wear a Helm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Could not agree more and the more I see shit like this everywhere I turn, the more I understand the conservative point of view. Believe me, living near Portland, a hotbed of insane, radical liberalism and nanny laws, running amok with doo gooders, closet Fascists and control freaks trying to mind everyone else's business, I am rapidly shifting to the right. Can't wait to get the hell out of this place and move to the eastern part of the state that is conservative. I don't agree with many of their views but one thing I like about the conservatives is they mind their own fucking business and don't shove shit like this down people's throats!
Yea but epic lines and a long park season are the upsides, right?

I'm dicking around in CO right now, and the more I am here, the more I like it. Not even the snowboard season; I just did a modest hike up Mount Royal near Frisco on my day off (off from snowboarding that is) in a mild snowstorm and just being out away from everything was therapy better than any drugs could provide. The one thing stopping me from considering permanently moving here is shit like HB 1226 looks like it will signed by Supreme Dickhead Hickenlooper this week.

I don't even have a political affiliation anymore until there becomes an official Party of Live and Let Live.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #252 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 470
Default

Only reason I wear one id b/c I have smacked my head too many times on East Coast ice and it feels better to do so with a helmet than without. Other than that, people should be able to choose to do so or not, 'tis a free country.

Edit: if your not wearing a helmet would endanger another person's life, then it may be another story, but I say let people hurt themselves in whatever way they want so long as the harm is only put upon themselves.

Last edited by Efilnikufesin; 03-18-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #253 (permalink)
Member
 
The Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Dude, not once did I call you any names, not once was I disrespectful to you, not once did I suggest that you were a control freak, a Fascist or any other term that you are CHOOSING TO OWN. I specifically said "is typically" to be sure I was NOT stereotyping everyone. The point is that a majority of people in this camp are this way. I never suggested that you were and was explaining MY position. It was YOU who derided my position by the way. Not only that, but I have NOT called any member of this forum Fascists or control freaks and have used those terms in the general sense; again suggesting that those types exist within the broader group. I have been very careful in choosing my words in this regard. You are taking ownership of these terms voluntarily when all I have ever done is ASK you pointed questions and stated my reasons for not supporting the regulations being discussed. The points I raised were designed to get you the think harder about the unforseen side effects of that which you advocate. I even credited you with having "best intentions". So, what this boils down to is you are offended because not only do I not change my position and agree with yours, but I have the unmittigated gall to argue my position. So, you have an emotional outburst and turn it personal and for added effect suggest that because I am an admin, I am not free to engage in debate, then take your ball and go home.

This is all on you pal.
Yeah, whatever you say, dude. Good luck in your "Orwellian nightmare" of having to wear a helmet while you snowboard. Oh, the horror.

And for what it's worth, you don't even know what fascism is. A helmet law in this country would come in one of two ways: capitalism and representative democracy.

Capitalism, in that a private resort chooses to impose a helmet requirement because they believe it's in their best financial interest to do so.

Representative democracy in that the elected representatives decide to legislate the issue, having been duly and properly elected by their constituents. They don't BAN snowboarding. They simply regulate it to make it safer. And if those constituents feel that their elected officials did a poor job, they have the ability to vote for someone else in the next term.

Two ways, neither of which is fascist. You simply use the term as hyperbole. A scare tactic. "Sit idly by while helmet laws get made and one day you won't be able to snowboard at all." That's your argument. And it's the same argument people made when seatbelt laws first happened. "Sit idly by while seatbelt laws get made and one day you won't be able to drive." How'd that work out?

It's bullshit paranoia, nothing more.
__________________
62" 2008 Burton Royale
Burton Cartel bindings
Salomon Synapse boots
The Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #254 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jake View Post
Yeah, whatever you say, dude. Good luck in your "Orwellian nightmare" of having to wear a helmet while you snowboard. Oh, the horror.

And for what it's worth, you don't even know what fascism is. A helmet law in this country would come in one of two ways: capitalism and representative democracy.

Capitalism, in that a private resort chooses to impose a helmet requirement because they believe it's in their best financial interest to do so.

Representative democracy in that the elected representatives decide to legislate the issue, having been duly and properly elected by their constituents. They don't BAN snowboarding. They simply regulate it to make it safer. And if those constituents feel that their elected officials did a poor job, they have the ability to vote for someone else in the next term.

Two ways, neither of which is fascist. You simply use the term as hyperbole. A scare tactic. "Sit idly by while helmet laws get made and one day you won't be able to snowboard at all." That's your argument. And it's the same argument people made when seatbelt laws first happened. "Sit idly by while seatbelt laws get made and one day you won't be able to drive." How'd that work out?

It's bullshit paranoia, nothing more.
Nice to see someone not afraid of their right to chose taken away
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #255 (permalink)
Member
 
The Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 70
Default

Again, it's not that I'm cool with my right to choose being taken away for everything. Quite the opposite, actually. I'm cool with the government imposing reasonable regulations for certain things. That is, after all, part of why we have government in the first place. To make rules that are a compromise between the extremes of "no rules" (anarchy) and "too many rules" (nanny state).

65 mph on interstate highways, 55 mph on state highways, 40 mph on county roads, seatbelts, driver's licenses, mandated car insurance. Those things certainly seem reasonable to me when it comes to operating a motor vehicle. I see things like that and I think "that's a little annoying, but I understand." I certainly don't feel less free.

And then there are other people who see a speed limit sign and automatically think "fascism! Gee, I bet Canada is better."

Hint: it's not.
__________________
62" 2008 Burton Royale
Burton Cartel bindings
Salomon Synapse boots
The Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #256 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 85
Default

This thread is hilarious.

Wear a helmet, don't wear a helmet...who cares?

I wear one when I plan on hitting the park. If I'm just cruising, I'll leave it in the car. I'm a grown up, I know the risks of not wearing one. But we take risks every day.

The fact that this is 28 pages is ridiculous...
SuperNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #257 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jake View Post
Again, it's not that I'm cool with my right to choose being taken away for everything. Quite the opposite, actually. I'm cool with the government imposing reasonable regulations for certain things. That is, after all, part of why we have government in the first place. To make rules that are a compromise between the extremes of "no rules" (anarchy) and "too many rules" (nanny state).

65 mph on interstate highways, 55 mph on state highways, 40 mph on county roads, seatbelts, driver's licenses, mandated car insurance. Those things certainly seem reasonable to me when it comes to operating a motor vehicle. I see things like that and I think "that's a little annoying, but I understand." I certainly don't feel less free.

And then there are other people who see a speed limit sign and automatically think "fascism! Gee, I bet Canada is better."

Hint: it's not.
What about seatbelt laws?
SuperNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #258 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
 
CassMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Whitefish MT
Posts: 1,849
Default

RIP SuperNewb, it's only a matter of time (and a pile of taxpayer money) (lol)
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #259 (permalink)
Member
 
The Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 70
Default

"Reasonable" is different for everyone. I fully agree that it's subjective. But the point is, government exists to make compromise between people like me and people like you. You are opposed to ANY sort of regulation or even talk of regulation, which means you are opposed to compromise. You are opposed to government doing its job. You'd rather have NO government or have them not do ANY job.

What do you think traffic accident statistics would look like if there were no speed limits or seatbelt laws?

What do you think alcoholism would look like if there were no drinking age?

The fairy tale of "I'll do whatever I want without any government intrusion" is just not going to happen. Not in this country, at least. And why? It's because most people are conscientious and reasonable about what restrictions should be permitted and what restrictions go too far.
__________________
62" 2008 Burton Royale
Burton Cartel bindings
Salomon Synapse boots
The Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #260 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jake View Post
Again, it's not that I'm cool with my right to choose being taken away for everything. Quite the opposite, actually. I'm cool with the government imposing reasonable regulations for certain things. That is, after all, part of why we have government in the first place. To make rules that are a compromise between the extremes of "no rules" (anarchy) and "too many rules" (nanny state).

65 mph on interstate highways, 55 mph on state highways, 40 mph on county roads, seatbelts, driver's licenses, mandated car insurance. Those things certainly seem reasonable to me when it comes to operating a motor vehicle. I see things like that and I think "that's a little annoying, but I understand." I certainly don't feel less free.

And then there are other people who see a speed limit sign and automatically think "fascism! Gee, I bet Canada is better."

Hint: it's not.

Your choice to wear a helmet only effects yourself, those speed limits effect other people whether pedestrians or other cars. Plus the ability to operate a motor vehicle is not a RIGHT.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums