To wear or not to wear a Helm? - Page 33 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #321 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
ThunderChunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kissing Bridge
Posts: 1,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliana View Post
I think you are really degrading the meaning of the word "Fascist" when you use it in this context. Most laws are exactly that: forcing an opinion or preference of one group of people onto the entire society. From your point of view we are already living in a Fascist state, after all, seat belts and motorcycle helmets, and a slew of other things of that nature are already mandatory by law. Mandatory auto insurance is also a Fascist concept then. Is that how you think about it, too?
Doesn't have anything to do with what we are talking about and doesn't change anything. This is a Red Herring.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hipp4u View Post
Im all for having fun, showing your tits and getting fucked up on a river float but it can be done without being a pig.
ThunderChunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #322 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
East§ide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 922
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Not even touching this with a 20 foot pole lol.
I think we all agree you probably SHOULD wear a helmet, but in the end it's up to you. By SnoWolf saying that he is an adult that understands the inherent risk and makes his choice regardless, it's a perfectly valid argument. Not wearing one because you think you are immune to injury, on the other hand, is really just a foolish and dangerous way to think. I do think in some way or another every decision you make can indirectly effect someone else - ie. you become a brain mushed vegetable and your family is stuck taking care of you, dealing with the grief and the expenses. That's a worst case scenario though and it kind of a moot point. I never ride without one now , simply because for me, the risks outweigh the benefits and as I've gotten older I've realized for me personally I simply can't afford to risk that type of injury
__________________

Never Summer Evo 153/Restricted ReFlex Cartel
Gnu Danny Kass 156 BTX
East§ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #323 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OU812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 338
Default

Have most of these helmets been thoroughly test to actually prevent injuries? The reason I ask is, there are a lot out there so which are good? I'm sure some are better than others. This is the same with car seats for kids. A lot to choose from and some do next to nothing to prevent injuries and are faulty.
I'm not saying child car seats are useless, nor am I saying the same for helmets but if you're barreling down a run at 50mph and wipe out and bang your head, how much will a helmet help you? I've been in the market to buy a good one and I'm surprised how light they feel with don't have a whole lot of padding.
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #324 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
pdxrealtor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 766
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikeswithdogs View Post
Trees, rocks and other idiots slamming into your melon will kill you , I have music and phone integration which is convenient and it keeps me warm and safe.

After a few hours you won't even notice it
Exactly.

For me, even on days like yesterday when it's 55* spring slush, no tree riding, etc... I still wear one, because there's always that chance of a collision with another rider.

If you're going to wear one, wear it. It only takes once. That's my take.

I too have Bluetooth phone and music integration in my helmet.

Actually for the first time last weekend the helmet actually saved my head. I top head planted on a cat track enough to yard sale everything. IF that would have been my head I might not have gotten right back up.
pdxrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #325 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Have most of these helmets been thoroughly test to actually prevent injuries? The reason I ask is, there are a lot out there so which are good? I'm sure some are better than others. This is the same with car seats for kids. A lot to choose from and some do next to nothing to prevent injuries and are faulty.
I'm not saying child car seats are useless, nor am I saying the same for helmets but if you're barreling down a run at 50mph and wipe out and bang your head, how much will a helmet help you? I've been in the market to buy a good one and I'm surprised how light they feel with don't have a whole lot of padding.
If you get a ski race helmet I bet those are rated for speeds above 50...
stickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #326 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OU812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickz View Post
If you get a ski race helmet I bet those are rated for speeds above 50...
Yea true, but this isn't for me. I won't be hauling ass down a run anytime soon but just meant in general how these light helmets perform at higher speeds or during more severe impacts. Still better to have a piece of padding between you and the ground/tree rather than just skull thats for sure
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:30 PM   #327 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
OU812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 338
Default

Snowolf, yea I was going to mention that regarding the spine injuries while wearing helmets. I heard about this as well but like you said who knows which side is correct. I also see that some people have this mentality that if they wear a helmet they can go harder and are less likely to be injured. This is the same mentality that people had when SUV's first came out, thinking they were invincible during the first snow fall of the year. Guess which cars ended up first in the ditch.

I think lower back/tail bone protectors make a lot more sense for beginners and lower intermediates especially than a helmet but then again it depends what riding you do. Like you said in dense trees I'd wear head protection as well.
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums