To wear or not to wear a Helm? - Page 8 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #71 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 14
Default

wear a helmet. you get used to it after a couple days and wont even notice your wearing it anymore.I lost a month riding this season because I hit my head when least expected to and got a bad concussion back in January.
boarderbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #72 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
onji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sapporo
Posts: 167
Default

I always ride with my helmet, even groomers can be dangerous when travelling at high speed on icy hardpack. Furthermore you never know when some muppet is going to come flying into you.

Like I've said before. Helmets can be replaced, head's cant......
onji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #73 (permalink)
Member
 
Howlingsonnets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Philly
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceryder View Post
Just interested in freestyle riders thoughts on using helmets. I'm a pure freerider who hasn't had much experience with jumping/jibbing other than backcountry kickers into deeeeep pow, so I never wore a helmet, even though my mom bought me one about 12 years ago, lol. Do you guys bring your helmets along just for riding 'park' or no helmet use? I did not like the feel of a helmet on my head when I tried it way back in the day. Plus, the helmet was noticeably colder! Feel like I need to yell FREEEEEEEEEEEEDOM from the top of my lungs like William Wallace when I was wearing one. However, I do know that park riding is more deadly to your lightbulb...
I should note that despite getting into more freestyle oriented riding this winter, if it snows, I'll be riding pow, not in the park :P
Wanna protect my head while in the park, but don't exactly wanna lug a helmet around with me on my pack, already enough crap in there!

My question is, what are your thoughts on helmet use in respect to freestyle riding.
I wear a helmet bc id rather be uncomfortable than unable to move speak or wakeup......i wanna ride for a long time and i cant do that if i just hit my head the wrong way (not saying its 100% bulletproof)

I honestly dont care if i may fall into the uncool category of helmet wearers who ride
Howlingsonnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #74 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,362
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onji View Post
Furthermore you never know when some muppet is going to come flying into you.
this is the argument that can't be refuted unless you claim to have spidey sense and eyes in the back of your head, no matter how good you are some dufus can crash into you.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #75 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.
 
Donutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 4,537
Blog Entries: 214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlingsonnets View Post
I honestly dont care if i may fall into the uncool category of helmet wearers who ride
And who elected them arbiters of coolness anyway? Fuckem.
__________________

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #76 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,362
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
And who elected them arbiters of coolness anyway? Fuckem.
exactly

QFT
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #77 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
cd21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceryder View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking that when in the park I'll wear one or I won't try any rails outside the park. On a normal run I'm not too worried about being run into or hitting any rocks so I'll stay free in that circumstance since I've never had any issues with trees or rocks - although the base of my board might tell ya different: gotta love those exposed rocks in the worst places, lol.

Interesting to hear the different responses, but I'm a bit shocked at the responses towards wearing a helmet. In my time ripping down double blacks at kicking horse, sunshine and castle mountain, I found that most riders didn't wear a helmet. Should note that I NEVER ventured into any park terrain areas so can't comment on that, but sounds like it's exactly opposite.
well when I freeride (basically all I do) I wear a helmet because you can still get whacked by trees and such. So yeah go with a helmet
cd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #78 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
StrattonRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wall, NJ and Stratton, VT
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the REASON View Post
its uncomfortable.
you wanna know what is uncomfortable? ..... Having brain problems for the rest of your life because you decided not to were a helmet. They make them so light and unnoticeable.
StrattonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #79 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 206
Default

I look at it this way. Do I really have time to be out of work with a broke brain.? The answer is always no.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #80 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikeswithdogs View Post
Trees, rocks and other idiots slamming into your melon will kill you , I have music and phone integration which is convenient and it keeps me warm and safe.

After a few hours you won't even notice it
I agree, get one with the music integration and you wont notice it as much
B(F)Dkid55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums