Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Fashion (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/fashion/)
-   -   2L vs 3L gore-tex jackets... (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/fashion/80058-2l-vs-3l-gore-tex-jackets.html)

Epic 04-22-2013 02:42 PM

2L vs 3L gore-tex jackets...
 
Is there a huge difference? I'm looking at 2 jackets and the one with 3L gore-tex is $100 more. I don't mind spending the extra coin if it's worth it.

Peyto 04-22-2013 02:49 PM

Pretty good discussion of this here: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/out...dations-2.html

Personally, if you've got it to spare I wouldn't hesitate to spend $100 extra bucks on the 3L.

Epic 04-22-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saloman (Post 924922)
Pretty good discussion of this here: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/out...dations-2.html

Personally, if you've got it to spare I wouldn't hesitate to spend $100 extra bucks on the 3L.

Phew that link was a long read but thanks.

ETM 04-22-2013 08:14 PM

Since you read all of it what was the outcome?

Epic 04-22-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETM (Post 925498)
Since you read all of it what was the outcome?

From what I understood the 3L sacrifices a little breathability for a little better waterproofing. Honestly I don't think I'll feel that much of a difference in east coast and Colorado conditions. 3L seems to be the way to go if I were to be doing any serious backcountry or in really wet conditions like Pacific Northwest. Might just go for the cheaper 2L and put the extra $ towards goretex pants and a high quality midlayer.

jtg 04-22-2013 09:49 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's well beyond the point of diminishing returns. Gore Tex is old tech, they're probably grasping at incremental innovations to keep their revenue stream. A difference might show up in a lab, but you're never gonna buy 2L and regret not going for 3L. FWIW I use 2L in the PNW.

pdxrealtor 04-22-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtg (Post 925618)
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's well beyond the point of diminishing returns. Gore Tex is old tech, they're probably grasping at incremental innovations to keep their revenue stream. A difference might show up in a lab, but you're never gonna buy 2L and regret not going for 3L. FWIW I use 2L in the PNW.

:huh::unsure::unsure::blink::blink:

Attn: Shred

tj_ras 04-22-2013 10:12 PM

2l and 3l explained

Incase you would like to read more.....if you dont want to read the whole article, its on page five, just scroll to 2lvs3l.

Edit:
Whole article talks about different systems along with pros and cons, ie: goretex,eVent, pu, etc. etc.

I felt it was a good read.

Edit inception:

Little excerpt from the article, to possible spark your interest.

Quote:

There are a few reasons why 3L construction has gained a lot of momentum in the industry lately. First is performance: the addition of the bonded tricot liner increases the breathability of the garment.

pdxrealtor 04-22-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tj_ras (Post 925682)
2l and 3l explained

Incase you would like to read more.....if you dont want to read the whole article, its on page five, just scroll to 2lvs3l.

Edit:
Whole article talks about different systems along with pros and cons, ie: goretex,eVent, pu, etc. etc.

I felt it was a good read.

Edit inception:

Little excerpt from the article, to possible spark your interest.

Wow! Great info in that link. I just did 18 hours of CE for my RE license so I'm not in the reading mood, but I bookmarked that for a later date. Thx! :thumbsup:

hktrdr 04-22-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tj_ras (Post 925682)
2l and 3l explained

Incase you would like to read more.....if you dont want to read the whole article, its on page five, just scroll to 2lvs3l.

Edit:
Whole article talks about different systems along with pros and cons, ie: goretex,eVent, pu, etc. etc.

I felt it was a good read.

Edit inception:

Little excerpt from the article, to possible spark your interest.

What they wrote is sort of true - in reality it really depends on the type of (separate) lining used in the 2L fabric. Some brands do stupid things like using linings that interfere with the breathability (some of the insulation in non-shell jacket is also terrible - really no point having a membrane in that case).
In practice, as long as the lining is not terrible there is no difference in breathing or waterproofing performance between 2L and 3L.
Also, some people do not like the 'stiff' feel of the 3L laminate.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2